Chuck picks a nit

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me. Check that. I know there is something seriously wrong with me, but I've made peace with it.

My latest trivial pursuit? It bothers me that the U.S. Senate resolution declaring September to be Bourbon Heritage Month says that the U.S. Congress, in 1964, declared bourbon whiskey to be 'America's Native Spirit.'

Did it? Well, not in so many words. My screed about it is here.

I read your blog on this yesterday Chuck.

Some might say your nit-picking but sometimes nits need to be picked.

I read your blog on this yesterday Chuck.

Some might say your nit-picking but sometimes nits need to be picked.

I agree. When given a choice between language with a specific meaning and language that is designed to appeal to or marketed to the the lowest common denominator, the former is always the better choice.

My latest trivial pursuit? It bothers me that the U.S. Senate resolution declaring September to be Bourbon Heritage Month says that the U.S. Congress, in 1964, declared bourbon whiskey to be 'America's Native Spirit.'

But Chuck, of course they did not use that exact term, 'America's Native Spirit' but I say let it stick, it does sound very Americana and romantic, I fell for it when I first took the plunge into The Wonderful World Of Bourbon.

But seriously, Beam dosen't have that phrase copyrighted, does it?

But Chuck, of course they did not use that exact term, 'America's Native Spirit' but I say let it stick, it does sound very Americana and romantic, I fell for it when I first took the plunge into The Wonderful World Of Bourbon.

But seriously, Beam dosen't have that phrase copyrighted, does it?

At one point I thought I saw a TM on it, but no, it seems not.

The back story to all of this is that the whole "bourbon" thing represents a long-running duel between Beam and Brown-Forman, since BF's two leading American whiskeys, Jack Daniel's and Early Times, are not bourbons.

The fact that Jack consistently kicks Jim's ass notwithstanding.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.