Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Apparently no one has posted tasting notes for this bourbon. I find that amazing.

No formal tasting will be forthcoming from yours truly, but I wanted to share the fact that I finished my first bottle of ETL around the sixth inning of game seven of the 2002 World Series, with the Angels leading the Giants by a score of four to one. Not wanting to experience a major change in flavor, I decided to open my recently purchased new bottle, the one in the Wathen's-shaped bottle (as opposed to the Johnny Walker-shaped bottle of my first purchase).

As I fought back my feelings of optimism that the Angels might finally reach baseball's pinnacle after 42 years, I couldn't help but notice that the bourbon in the new bottle was rather different than I expected. The first bottle was almost one-dimensionally sweet (caramel and vanilla -- OK, make that bi-dimensionally sweet), whereas the new one had pleasantly rough flavor elements, akin to unsweetened cinnamon or whatever flavorings are added to Lavoris mouthwash. It was enjoyable, but it hardly seemed to be the same bourbon.

Even as the game wound down, and the Angels held on to their four to one lead, even as everyone sprayed Champagne on everyone in sight, and even as The Cowboy smiled down from above, I kept glancing at the lable of my new bottle of ETL, trying to spot some information that might explain why it tasted so different. Yeah, I know; it says "Single Barrel" on the label, but I still expected more similarity than I found.

Has anyone else tried more than one bottle of ETL Single Barrel?

Yours truly,

Dave "Why doesn't winning feel as good as losing feels bad?" Morefield

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Apparently no one has posted tasting notes for this bourbon. I find that amazing.

M'Dawg,

You're exactly right, it is devine. I'm sipping it as I type (no mixer, no chaser...just ice). Very nice.

I did however, have one hell of a time getting into the bottle. My liddle tab pulled completely off, leaving me to dig at it with a knife (my friends don't like to give me anything sharp... smirk.gif ).

It was worth the effort, but more than alittle dangerous.

Beej

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Dave I've bumped up a tasting I did on Elmer T. Lee just for you!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Check the date Tom! It was written something like two years ago and was my third or fourth tasting. This was right after Buffalo Trace changed Elmer T. Lee - the bourbon - from the "butt ugly" black bottle at 107 proof to the same "butt ugly" bottle only clear and at a new lower 90 proof. Now we have the newest bottle at the same 90 proof expression. Please do add to it. That's what this forum is all about.

All, I was fortunate to spend this weekend at a resort in North Georgia. It was spent relaxing, smoking some cuban cigars, and drinking yummy booze. ie: Basils, Bookers, Bakers, Woodford, JD Single Barrel, WT 80&101, and I purchased a bottle of ETL. I also purchased a bottle of Ezra B 15yo Single Barrel, and Wathens. I haven't tried those yet. To the point! ETL was delicious! My lady and I both sensed a "whoosh" of cinnomony apples when the bottle was opened. After a minute or two over ice, it gave way to more of a molasses and caramel taste. I would say this pour is very good, or better. I liked it because the initial cinnimon and apple aroma gave it a taste all of its own. I get frustrated when trying new bourbon only to find out that its not much different then some others. mad.gif For its taste, strength, and its individualism I give it an A. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

All, shifting gears here. Just put down the WT Rare Breed (which I just posted to T'Carl that I was presently drinking). I spoke several days ago on my first experience with ETLSB (which I have just poured, and WILL be drinking). I am very impressed..both my lady and I both enjoyed! M'dawg, I will say at the first pour I caught a "whiff" and tasted much the same as you. I tasted the sugar sweet cinnimon taste, but closer to brown-sugar and cinnimon apples. Minutes later (over ice) it gave way to a very chocolatey molasses flavor. Anyway, I enjoyed it to the utmost, but I can't find it here in Alabama!? I sure hope I don't have to drive to GA again...just for a bottle! Glasses up! grin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I'd like to reply again if no one minds?! O.K.....In anticipation of the Georgia/Ole Miss kick-off I just poured myself a healthy portion of OF Birthday bourbon..on the rocks. Very, verrrry tasty! grin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.