Sazerac mash bill?

Luna56
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry if the question has been answered before, but a search turned up no results. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

At least 51% rye..............

I tasted this and it is at least 52% rye!

I tasted this and it is at least 52% rye!

pretty sure it has some corn in it too...

At least 51% rye..............

Jeez, thanks for going to all the trouble..:lol:

Finally had a little time to search more thoroughly and I found the info in one of the BTAC fact sheets. I assume the mash is the same as the Handy.

Cheers!

Finally had a little time to search more thoroughly and I found the info in one of the BTAC fact sheets. I assume the mash is the same as the Handy.

Cheers!

Did you use the BTAC Info Thread?:grin:

This is what I see there:

Recipe

Large Grain: Minnesota Rye

Small Grain: Kentucky Corn; Distillers Grade #1 and #2

Finish Grain: North Dakota Malted Barley

Cheers!

It is. :grin:

All snarkyness aside, some distillers are very tigh-lipped about their mashbills, while some are very matter-of-fact about it. I don't understand why anyone would feel strongly about keeping mashbills so secret. It's not like there's a lot of counterfit Buffalo Trace floating around. :rolleyes:

Did you use the BTAC Info Thread?:grin:

This is what I see there:

Recipe

Large Grain: Minnesota Rye

Small Grain: Kentucky Corn; Distillers Grade #1 and #2

Finish Grain: North Dakota Malted Barley

That's the one. Love reading those sheets, I had totally forgotten about them.

Amazing how much is lost to evaporation.

Thanks for re-posting the link to it, I forgot to do it myself.

Cheers!

I thought for sure when Baby Saz came out there was some discussion of its mash-bill, but searching has revealed nothing.

In any case, I reckon its not much above the legal minimum of 51% and less than WT 101 Rye.

I know that BT's rye, like all the rest from the majors, is 'barely legal' at exactly 51%, so assuming 10% malt, give or take, it's 39% corn. If that's not it exaclty, it's damn close.

Nobody uses more than the minimum required amount of rye because it's expensive (costs twice as much as corn) and because it's so flavorful, you don't get that much more rye flavor by using a lot more rye. It's also relatively hard to work with, as you have to handle it carefully to make sure the starches fully dissolve in the mashing stage.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.