Flasks

texascarl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well Texascarl , no one's passing the hat at the moment but I'm sure if you've been good all year , it's bound to happen. ( I'll do my part!) grin.gif

They are nice but I share Jim's astonishment! That's ok, I'll stick with my $10 Wild Turkey flask I got down at this years festival. Gets me through the day just the same haha.

To Anyone That Is Listening!: If somebody is dumb enough to buy TexasCarl one, I'll take one too! I just had a birthday-it's not to late. Seriously, they're nice, but how much craftsmenship can run that tab up to $458!? Does that include round trip air-fare to Finland to pick it up?! See ya'll H'wood cool.gif

I just got back from the state store and they started bringing out the Holiday gift packs. They had a Bottling of Jim Black with a spiffy hip flask and they were selling it for exactly two dollars LESS than the Bottle of bourbon by itself!!

That sounds like a plan to me!

LOL

TomC

Dang it boys, quit trying to pee on my parade. You don't want to waste $450 on a hipflask, well, that's your bidness but quit howling. I might have been able to fool the unwary, but not now. Guess I'll make do with my trusty 3 oz pewter flask, but you have to admit that these are purty.

Actually, the price is all whack because they're handmade in Finland. The wily Finns (rightly) won't work for free, and we have a rotten exchange rate with almost all the Skandahoovian countries.

FYI, there are also some really nice knives at that site...look around, but don't come running to me if the one you like costs a week's wages.

web page

I just took a quick look at the sight, Carl. You're right about the knives - I have an old puukko knife that I used to use for general fishing and outdoor work. It holds an edge sharp enough to cut air. I'll never part with it.

Ralph Wilps

Ralph,

In case you want to buy some puukko knives, or their Swedish & Norwegian equivalent, this site is run by really stand up guy.

Note: the puukos and all of his inexpensive Mora knives from Sweden are a BEST BUY. 10 minutes on an India stone and these become some scary sharp knives, cheap enough you can give them away without a qualm. Good knives, it just happens they don't cost a fortune. Think Old Forrester or your own personal favorite sub-$20 bourbon. Save the fancy stuff for later, a fella needs a good go-to bourbon and good go-to cutlery. wink.gifRagnar

What happened to all for one and one for all? I figured when I checked back in here everyone would forgo a week or months drinking and come through for Texascarl here. I also was hoping the tote board would be up to like 457.00 and I would come in with the last buck and a half! Geez what a cheap group! Autosuck Hah! What about the poor Finnish Bastard that froze his ass off carving that shit? Come on Guys and Gals Have a Heart! Goddamn..........

"Guess I'll make do with my trusty 3 oz. pewter flask."

Pewter flasks are nice in their own way and have a good, sturdy "feel." But, it's my understanding that they retain the flavor of what you put in them, therefore you have to pretty much fill them with the same stuff you put in the first time. True? Better to stick with stainless steel?

Just wonderin'.

SpeedyJohn

Hey, ask and ye shall receive! laugh.gif BC, I'm making up a Christmas list, and I'll forward it to you soon. Let's see... a bottle of Woodford Reserve, a GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip, an...anyway the final list should be along any day. See ya, H'wood grin.gifcool.gif

I regret not having picked up a few of those, as they would have made great Christmas gifts. I made the mistake of telling my brother that the WT flasks were even available. Next time, I keep my mouth shut tongue.gif

I've got an 8 oz. pewter flask from Orvis with an engraved troutfishing scene on each side. I've put both bourbon and rum in it (not together, mind you), and even though it's got a really small mouth and is hard to wash, I've never had a problem with residual flavors. I think the secret is to rinse it well and slosh a little of whatever you're going to carry in it around inside first. Then dump that out and fill the flask.

Ralph Wilps

Thanks, Carl! There's just something about a puukko knife or a Finnish Lahti pistol that warms the heart - maybe the stories I've heard about the Winter War and the Finnish resistance to the Russians, since my dad's people are Lithuanian. The puukko I have I got a long time ago from a Brookstone catalog, of all places. It was designed by Tapio Wirkkala and has a black, nearly-triangular composition handle. You want to watch that knife with cold, bloody hands, though - you can slide up onto the blade quick as a blink.

Ralph Wilps

"You want to watch that knife with cold, bloody hands, though - you can slide up onto the blade quick as a blink"

Yep, as you look at a lot of traditional puukko knives, you'll notice that the handle 'swells' out at the end. These knives evolved over the centuries to be used in the cold even wearing gloves or mittens, and always using a pull-towards-you cutting stroke. No 'fingerguard' on these knives, because they teach their children not to 'push' with a knife, but to 'pull'. With that caveat in mind, these knives are safe as kittens.

5629.jpg

How you learn something new every day with this crowd! I've heard that samurai were taught always to pull on the cutting stroke... So they taught little Lapp kids all that,too. The only trouble with that piece of knowledge is that it apparently gets used in all kind of ways - I've heard that Finns can get in very black moods "in their cups", and when the puukkos come out they're the most dangerous knife fighters you'd ever want to not know. They apparently have a no-nonsense, pig-slaughtering approach that is not a martial art, but simply killing.

Ralph Wilps

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.