BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hope everyone enjoyed the month off from the BOTM!

This month we're starting fresh, well sort of, actually our first repeat bourbon of the month. This one has gone through a complete change and then a secondary labeling change recently.

The new label hardly acknowledges it but we all know Russell's Reserve is from Wild Turkey. This 10 year bourbon was, as we all know, some time ago proofed down to 90 from 101 and completely repackaged with a different bottle and label. Recently the label was changed again so let's give a fresh look to this attempt of Wild Turkey's to position the RR line in a completely different class.

Strangely enough I find myself enjoying this in my glass right now more than I ever did the 101 proof version. Did they change the profile when they repackaged it? It seems more refined with distinct flavors and less rough char flavor; is that what the RR line is supposed to be about?

:893drillsergeant-thSound Off:893drillsergeant-th

Christian, are you saying the new label RR90 is different than the old label RR90 and you like it more than the RR101?

Christian, are you saying the new label RR90 is different than the old label RR90 and you like it more than the RR101?
If that's what he's saying then I will go buy some right now! I choked down a bottle of the old label RR90 last month and thought it was pretty bad (I was expecting more out of a 10yr bourbon, admittedly), not on par with most bourbons I have had. The RR101 is pretty durn good, though -- if the new label 90 proof tastes like that, I may have found a new standby.

I think he is, and I think I agree with him too. And that goes double for the rye. I much prefer the RRR to the standard wtr 101:shocked:

If that's what he's saying then I will go buy some right now! The RR101 is pretty durn good, though -- if the new label 90 proof tastes like that, I may have found a new standby.

Me too! ALthough I think the "old" RR90 is a darn good bourbon.

Anybody seen any RR Rye in a new bottle? Can't seem to find any, new or old. Saw a Wild Turkey Rye opted for a 10year Weller.

Actually my bottle is the 'old' 90 proof package, we won't see the new out here in Oregon for up to a year I am told. This is the first of the 90 proof I'd ever tasted because I was so turned off by the 'old' 101 version, and thus am very pleasantly surprised that I enjoy this 90 proof version more.

I detected too much of what I called rough char flavor and had previously described as burnt rubber flavor in the 101 version. I don't get that in the 90 and actually get some nice Vanilla on the nose that comes through faintly with some sweetness on the pallate. Unfortunately out here in Oregon it is a $29.45 product so I can't say I'd buy it often, but needed to try it out and do not regret doing so.

Dang it! Thought I was going to get to play this month and y'all are doing the 90 proof. Interesting to see some negativity about RR101, a bottling which seems to be generally lamented in passing.

I have two bottles with what appears to be the same lable, but my newer bottle has Russell's signature raised in the glass below the neck. My older bottle doesn't. Anyone know whether the bourbon's different? I haven't opened my new bottle yet.

I didn't know there was a difference in the 90 proofs except the labels. I will have to pick up a bottle of the old label to compare.

I didn't know there was a difference in the 90 proofs except the labels. I will have to pick up a bottle of the old label to compare.

I have been looking forward to a bottle of this since the Sampler. It was my favorite on the Turkey table.

I dont like the 101 and have mixed feelings about the RRRye, but I really liked the RR 90.

I have been wanting to try this bourbon but with so many on my bar that need to be tasted I haven't gotten around to it. Is this a wheater or a Rye? I have been finding myself really enjoying the wheat based bourbons...BT, ORVW 10/90, Lot B, etc...

Any recommendations on others that I might like?

I really don't care for the RR101 or the RR90 (old) either. I guess next time I go to a bar I will look to see if they have the (new) bottling and give it a try. Does anyone know if they sell this in a 50ml. If they do then I will try it. As for the RR rye I like it. There is something about that rye taste I can't put my finger on.

I have been finding myself really enjoying the wheat based bourbons...BT, ORVW 10/90, Lot B, etc...

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

BT not a wheater, but sometimes I think the flavor grain is grass.

I have been wanting to try this bourbon but with so many on my bar that need to be tasted I haven't gotten around to it. Is this a wheater or a Rye?

Wild Turkey doesn't touch Wheat, every bourbon they make uses Rye as the flavor grain.

Enjoying some of the new label now. It seems sweeter in the nose than the old label but that could easily be my imagination. On the palate, though, the characteristic WT high-rye flavor comes through. Excellent stuff and excellent choice for BOTM.

And hectic, the WT family, along with OGD, Bulleit and a few others is considered a "high rye" bourbon, since it has a higher proportion of rye than most bourbons do.

Guess I know what I'm going to be picking up this weekend...I've been curious, especially since I had a taste of WTRR 101 (boy was that ever good!) I'll see if the new labels are at my usual sources. WTRR90 usually sells for $20 here.

Picked up a bottle at Woodmans, shelf price is $19.99. Slightly lighter in color than the standard 101. Initial nose is mostly corn and caramel, with some citrus. The corn sweetness carries onto the palate, but this doesn't have quite the burst of brown sugar that the WT101 has and the WTRR101 had in spades. Still, there is good body here and a nice, thick mouthfeel. This is followed by peppery spice, oak, and a hint of leather. The finish is a rather nice mix of corn sweetness and oak tannins. This is a somewhat more genteel spirit than the WT101 or RR101, but it is in no way a bad whiskey. The WTRR101 is a superior bourbon to be sure, but the RR90 seems to be an enjoyable drink and is a fine value at the price it sells for here. Indeed, a restaurant that features Makers Mark as its sole good bourbon would be remiss in not adding this bottling to their bar as it is quite approachable for a novice but would serve as a fine gateway to rye-recipe bourbons for the MM drinker. Even given the limitations of 90 proof and chill-filtering, Jimmy and Eddie have created a solid, inexpensive pour that is not only enjoyable neat but should shine in bourbon-based cocktails, no doubt a key market they were aiming for.

Tried the new-label version last night. Can't say it tastes appreciably different from the "old" 90 version. But then again, by taste mempry isn't up to that of others here.

Old or new, this is still a very fine whiskey in its own right. I would still prefer the WTRR101 expression, but the current offering stands well on its own.

Tried the new-label version last night. Can't say it tastes appreciably different from the "old" 90 version. But then again, my taste memory isn't up to that of others here.

Old or new, this is still a very fine whiskey in its own right. I would still prefer the WTRR101 expression, but the current offering stands well on its own.

John, my sentiments exactly. :cool: Nuff' said. Joe

John, my sentiments exactly. :cool: Nuff' said. Joe

Pretty much captures my thoughts as well.

Craig

Picked up a bottle at Woodmans, shelf price is $19.99. The WTRR101 is a superior bourbon to be sure, but the RR90 seems to be an enjoyable drink and is a fine value at the price it sells for here.

I'm curious . . . if RR90 sells for $20 what does regular WT101 sell for . . . the RR90 is $30 here and the regular WT101 is $21!

I'm curious . . . if RR90 sells for $20 what does regular WT101 sell for . . . the RR90 is $30 here and the regular WT101 is $21!

WT101 sells for $23 at the same shop (Woodmans.) Wierd, I know...

After perusing many, many, many liquor stores, the WT101 varies between $16 and $23 a bottle and the WTRR90 goes $20 to $27. I saw something recently that the retail price of WTRR is $25 which jives with what I've seen as it's usually $25.

I had this a few months ago on St. Patricks day when I was halfway through a bottle of Old Fitz bib so my memory may not be that clear but I recall I was impressed by it at the time...very smooth and flavorful. I picked up a bottle but haven't opened mine yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.