Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 17yr

BengalMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The other thread on this whiskey says 3100 cases produced, of which about 1/3 are going to the Kentucky market.

Haven't found it in New England yet...

400 barrels!? How many bottles of this exist? I guess it will be plentiful for awhile?

Per John Hansell's blog, "Approximately 2100 cases (six bottles per case)..."

I also learned that they're keeping a bunch of it and releasing an 18 year-old next year.

I guess we'll see.

Still trying to find some...

400 barrels!? How many bottles of this exist? I guess it will be plentiful for awhile?

After 17 years I bet you'd be looking at about a quarter of the original volume. Plus at the tasting last week Mr. Zoeller said that some of the barrels they cracked were dry. This stuff is plentiful around Louisville right now. I hit 5 stores today and every one of them had a decent supply. But I hear tell of a newspaper article about it due out which always makes things like this scarce around here.

I would love to know what the barrel proof of this juice was.

I also learned that they're keeping a bunch of it and releasing an 18 year-old next year.

Merlin, did you read this somewhere? If so, care to divulge your source? I would like to check that out.

Several years ago a BT employee who should know said there were over 2,000 barrels of SW in BT's rickhouses......whiskey owned by Diageo. Diageo was putting it into Crown Royal. My guess is that Diageo sold some of this SW at its advanced age and made a nice profit. I actually got to taste some of it in BT's lab a few years ago. I tried to get Diageo to release a little of it as a single barrel product to be bottled by a third party back then. Diageo was somewhat receptive to the idea.....someone finally got them to do so......my guess anyway.

Randy

FWIW... I just completed a SW showdown.

I compared the Jeffersons Prez select to...

Old Fitz BIB bottled 1985

VVOF 12 yr from 1961

ORVW 15 / 107

I can tell you, I fully believe the JPS is SW whiskey. There are similar characteristics in all of them.

I thought the nose was most similar to the 15 yr. But the taste was not very close.

I thought it tasted most like the Old Fitz BIB, but the JPS had a bit of a longer, woodier finish.

I did not find a lot of close similarities to the VVOF.

Just one mans observation.....:grin:

Nice showdown Bird. I'm jealous. I'd agree that the jps tasted like sw. What stuck out for me was the sweetness, and thick sw style. Just lovely juice.

Mysteries are fine, but there's no use in making one up when a simple explanation seems more likely.

I had forgotten about that link in post 58. It's hard to follow a discussion in two seperate threads, in black type too. But it amounts to is a report of what Weber said that Gayhart said that he saw. That's a lot of hearsay.

What do the tastebuds say? Any S-W lovers think it tastes different than other S-W whiskey of the same age?

Josh, no one is making anything up. There are just people who are quizzical of the wording on the label. Simply conjecturing on why it may be. But again, no one is fabricating anything.

BTW, does any one know where the bottling was done?

Just a comment......when AA made wheated whiskey for United, the barrels most likely would have been stencilled as "United Distillers". The Stitzel-Weller bourbon barrels were stencilled as "Old Fitzgerald".

As for the bottler of Jefferson's Presidential.....does the label say Bardstown? If not it probably should.

Merlin, did you read this somewhere? If so, care to divulge your source? I would like to check that out.

I think I heard it in the last podcast from http://www.whiskycast.com/.

A question to those who have tried it.

Has the 17 years in the barrel made it too woody, or it still very balanced?

IMO, much woody. Another year would likely make it worse.

Thanks for the link.

IMO the wood character is definitely there. But, for me at least, it's not a deal breaker. I need to do a side by side, but I may like it better than PVW 20.

Has this reached the West Coast yet? Does anyone know where can I find this in So. Cal?

Jim

Has this reached the West Coast yet? Does anyone know where can I find this in So. Cal?

Jim

I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

This is not available at the California distributor yet. I will post as soon as it becomes available.

Sku & whskylvr - Thanks for the quick reply. Tough to wait while others are throwing it back. I'll keep pace with some '08 GTS.

Jim

I emailed my local shop to find out when they are getting some.

The response proved they have no idea what they're talking about.

Sad, really.

Also, it's been a week since I called them.

I guess they are still waiting to hear back from the distributor.

Love this juice....Its all over the NKY area so if it gets to the point where you need to have it shipped, I'll give you contact #'s to a couple of shops that might ship to you :grin:

Ad from the most recent Malt Advocate. Although the wording here is a little awkward too (what can I say, they have a bad copywriter), it's unambiguous.

post-5-144898158268_thumb.jpg

Ad from the most recent Malt Advocate. Although the wording here is a little awkward too (what can I say, they have a bad copywriter), it's unambiguous.

Are you sure Chuck? Botteled from the last yaer of the SW distillery does not mean it was bottled WITH SW juice. Just means it is all 17yr juice.

Again, if the juice is good, who cares, but if it was 100% SW juice you would have thouht these guys would have found a way to say that without interpretation ... like:

"Jefferson Reserve Presidential Select 17 yr. Distilled and barreled by SW during their last year of production - DSP 16"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.