Bourbon with steak or...

hollywood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thinking about how much I love my bourbon with cigars reminded me of how much more enjoyable it is with and after a fine meal. For me its the huge medium-rare steak with baked potato, and creamed spinach. A Ruth's Chris speciality! Surf (Lobster) and Turf runs "bam bam" for first as well! I am up for some suggestions that may sway me...although that would be tough. I'd love to hear some bourbon and entree' pairings that others enjoy. Let me know!!! grin.giflaugh.gif Thanks, See ya, H'wood cool.gif

This may sound a little silly but while in FLA I shared some Four Roses with my Dad over a dinner of "Chinese Pie". Amzingly this is the best Bourbon/Food Pairing I have had to date.

TomC

Well this is interesting. In Quebec where I am from, "pate chinois" meant shepherd's pie, i.e., a mixed or chopped meat pie covered with pastry. This was a hot dish. (That is French, that is, for Chinese Pie).

There has been speculation in food cirlles for years on the origin of the French name.

Some people say it is a pie made from who knows what, hence the name (this from the time when ethnic stereotyping was common).

Others say the dish can be traced to a town in Maine called China. Maine always had a strong French element, so "pate chinois", aka (I am assuming) Chinese Pie, was a (probably British-derived) sheperd's pie that was particularly good in China, Maine, and French-Canadians visiting their relations there took the dish back to Old Quebec and called it the same name but in French.

Now, if the Chinese Pie mentioned earlier in this thread is in fact an American hot meat pie, that would lend credence to the latter theory (save perhaps for the Maine origin of the dish) although the former theory even in that case could not be discounted as such.

Right?

P.S. In Old Quebec, the hard liquor drunk with pate chinois would have been Dutch-derived geneva gin. They called it, "gros gin", to distinguish it from the lighter London-style Dry Gin.

Why Dutch-derived?

That's a whole different story..

Well being that my last name is Cloutier, ands that it is a family tradition, I would figure its from the french side of the family. The way my family makes it is with 3 ingredients, Mashed Potatos, Ground Chuck, and Creamed corn. My very french canadian grandfather said the origin is "poking fun" (ie insulting) the Asian folks cuisine, similar to the term "American Chop Suey" used to describe macaroni with spashetti sauce smirk.gifsmirk.gif . He said that the french canadians can be overly "Nationalist" to the point of bigotry and that because the meal can be made with just about any shit you have around and is CHEAP, they named it thusly. Although I do not agree with the naming, it was one of my favorite meals as a child.

Tom (Franco American) C

PS My grandfather alway drank either Crown Royal or Pinch Scotch with dinner. . . . . . .hmmmmmmmmm confused.gifconfused.gif

"Bonjour", Tom! The way you describe Chinese Pie /Pate Chinois is exactly how I recall it from my Montreal days, down to the creamed corn.

It's a small world, truly.

And Crown Royal is still a good dram or, as "les Quebecois" would say, "un bon coup" (a good shot), with Chinese Pie or otherwise.

Best,

gary

I had Wathen's with Italian sausage tonite (mozzarella, green pepper, onion). Hmmmmm, good.

Though, nothing beats a medium rare steak and a robust bourbon. At Ruth Chris's, I order up Bookers. (Too bad it's been awhile since the expense account allowed that.)

• 2 months later...

I've always thought Bourbon suits itself best to rugged heavy meals. Large cuts of beef or pork with strong sauces and "anything but sliced" breads. With the smell of an open fire lingering in the background. An unrefined, unpolished, non-apologetic type food and drink combo that doesn't need anyone's approval. Served best with a cigar and hardy laughter.

My newest discovery is Smoked KY Spoonfish and Spoonfish Caviar. It just ain't right to drink chilled shots of vodka with KY caviar, so Woodford Reserve and ORV it is. The smoked fish is now marinated in Woodford Reserve and smoked with charred barrel shavings!!!! Check out the web site and if you stop by in Louisville, tell Lewis I said "Hey!!". He's a bourbon lover too. smirk.gif

Kentucky Smoked Fish

????????? Now I'm confused, I thought they used VanWinkle Products. When did this change occur?

I don't think that overall it would suffer using Woodford.

Cholly,

Welcome, welcome!

I totally agree with the open fire thing. Steaks cooked on the grill over lump charcoal (or Bourbon barrel heads if you can get 'em... grin.gif ).

Here's a nice Bourbon marinade from Smoky Hale:

1 cup light olive oil

1 cup bourbon (your choice)

2 Tbs soy sauce

6 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

2 cloves garlic - minced

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1 tsp fresh ground ginger

1 tbs cider vinegar

1 tbs molasses

Beej

Bobby,

I'm not sure when the change from VanWinkle to Woodford happened. It had to be some time in the last six months. It never really crossed my mind to ask. I'll send Lewis and e-mail and see what he says. The product is just as good if not better. I can't tell the difference, but its all good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.