Kentucky Spirit

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can't believe I am saying this, but in order to celebrate Kentucky's close win over Athletes in Action frown.gif Leslie and I left Rupp Arena and went across the street to Desha's. I have always liked the food here, but more recently I have come to enjoy their extensive list of premium and single-barrel bourbons. Leslie of course orders a chardonnay and I order my first Kentucky Spirit, neat. I will say that this was not the easiest choice I have ever made. I could not decide between KS, Pappy 20yo, Rock Hill Farm or Hancocks. All were $6.50 with the exception of Pappy at $7.00. I chose the KS because I have been on a WT kick as of late and hope to have a bottle given to me as a gift for my birthday on the 28th (yes, on Thanksgiving. And I will be giving thanks if I get the KS).

I was expecting a pretty small pour neat, but It was a generous serving brought to me in a snifter. I love this bourbon. To me this epitomizes what true bourbon should be. Deep rich color and nose with a strong and smooth finish. Lots of Caramel, vanilla and molassas with just a hint of oak. I hope to do a better tasting soon if I get my wish. Anyway, Kentucky Spirit added a little spirit to a spirit-less Kentucky (basketball team) grin.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

YOWZER! Jeff falls in love with the supreme magic that is Kentucky Spirit. It's so good that after you taste it for the first time you wonder how you ever lived without it. Women may come and go, but Kentucky Spirit is a faithful lover that never fails to satisfy the soul. It really is that good. I LUV it! grin.gif

It also made an excellent partner to a honey-glazed pork loin with garlic mashed potatoes and caramelized baby carrots. grin.gif

Linn, How is the consistency from bottle to bottle, barrel to barrel on this one? Can I count on my future bottle to taste the same or as good as the one I sampled last night? I know there has been some discussion about the EWSB vintages as of late and how one year might not measure up to the next. I know this is not a vintage bottling, but does the flavor profile hold true for most of the bottles you have sampled?

Hi Jeff,

I posted my impressions of the KS on the tasting board awhile back. I think it's on the 4th page now. I think that KS is one of the BEST bourbons around. I can't comment on the consistency question, as I've only bought one bottle, but from what I've read here, most everyone raves about it. There's probably some variation, but I would bet that it's all good. Treat yourself to a bottle, and let us know how it is. cool.gif

Bob

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff the most consistant single barrel offerings come from Buffalo Trace. Their quality control people and tasting panel are second to none. Blanton's always tastes like Blanton's. The same can be said of Rock Hill Farms (my personal favorite from this distillery) and Elmer T. Lee. Hancock's President's Reserve is little mentioned, but is damn good in it's own right. > > > Jimmy Russel is a legend in his own time. If Jim Beam were alive today - he would be playing second fiddle to Jimmy Russell. No finer man has ever distilled a drop of bourbon in the history of Kentucky. There is some variation between warehouses with Kentucky Spirit. I happen to like warehouse 'E' best. Jimmy's son - Eddie - happens to like warehouse 'B' best. With some good natured proding on my part Jimmy confided that he is partial to warehouse 'G'. I just bought a couple of bottles from warehouse 'G' and I must admit that I LUV IT! But I still like warehouse 'E' better. There is more variation between warehouses than between Buffalo Trace's bottlings. So What??? confused.gif As for Heaven Hill - they pick a new flavor profile every year. It is a matter of the number of barrels of bourbon they have to make a reasonable match that will satisfy demand. It's a trade off. It has to be good and there has to be enough of it to meet demand, but it does change every year. Some might say that the very best Heaven Hill whiskey isn't even bottled by Heaven Hill, but by Evan Kulsveen up on the hill over looking Heaven Hill in Willit's non-distilling distillery. Let your palate be your guide. Taste it all and pick whatever you like best! Whiskey writers and so called experts be damned. If you drink what your tongue likes - you will be happy! wink.gif

Linn, you just prompted me to check my 2 open bottles of Kentucky Spirit and both are warehouse E... Damn you, now I will have to just buy another bottle from warehouse G and see the differences for myself! wink.gif Every now and then I do get a wild turkey kick and when I do it is always a close call between rare breed and kentucky spirit. For me though, the rare breed more often wins... Though both are fine examples of great bourbons.

I totally agree that it is a close call between KS and RB. It's funny though how different RR tastes to me compared to the other WT offerings. Is it just me, or do others think that RR is the most different of the WT bourbons? Don't get me wrong, I really like RR, but it tastes less like WT bourbon than any of the others. confused.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Is it just me, or do others think that RR is the most different of the WT bourbons?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

and since (even though I have not tried it) folks like Linn say that KS taste similar to RR I think it would fall right in line

See I don't get that at all. I can see the similarities between 101-->RB-->KS, but RR tastes different to me. Like Jimmy Russell was tinkering around in the lab one day and said "Let's see what happens if we do this..." Kind of like some of my experiments in the kitchen that don't always turn out the way I expected. Though I like RR a lot, I get a lot more Wild Turkey from RB and KS. grin.gif

On the aside, Marvin was right. There is plenty , at the moment of the Wild Turkey 12 Year Old in liquor stores all over Kentucky. You just have to go a little out of the way to find it. I personsally know where 5 bottles are. 3 in Middletown, at 2 different stores, 1 In Bullitt county and Toddy's has 1. I may get one , I have to scrape up 49 bucks. I'll probably take my chances on no one buying all of it because of the Stagg coming out. grin.gif

Seems like a safer bet to me, Bobby. If they havent sold out by now, odds are you are gonna find some later still. Judging by the hype and limited bottling, I do NOT think the Stagg will last long. So, personally I would take my chances.

TomC

Tom,

I get the impression from your post that Stagg is now available. Is this correct? Last I heard, it would be early December. I'm among the many that hope to grab at least cool.gifcool.gif one bottle. grin.gif

Bob

You can get all that good stuff for $7 or less a drink!? I pay $8 for Jim Beam White. Wait, that's in the, uh, club upstair from my favorite bar. The bar itself is about is about $6 for Knob Creek. ;-) That's the best I can do here in NC without going to a high end steak house. And half the time, when I ask for their bourbon selection, the answer always come back mixed with JD and various scotches. Sh*t, if I am going to drop $25 on a steak (before fixings and drinks and tip), they better get the bourbon list right!

Oops, forgot I found Rare Breed in a bar the other night when out with my better half. Damn, that stuff was good. I'll have to buy me some. ;-)

Chuck, Just curious, is Rare Breed hard to find there? Most decent to upper scale lounges/restaurants carry it here. grin.gif I'll go as far to say for true premium Kentucky whiskey it is one of the more asked for. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Not hard to find in the ABC stores or upscale steak houses. Fortunately, my two favorite neighborhood bars (same owner) have KC in one and RB in the other. :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.