Best bourbon for the money?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Heh, if it makes you feel better, WT is ahead of JB black in my (oh crap, they are out of x_bourbon) list, but probably after KC.

WT is, well, interesting, and to be honest i've not spent enough time with the RR yet to make a judgement (only had 3 pours). It is a bit (well a good bit) spicer in finish to me than Woodford. A sip of WT is still more work to get through, less savory. I think one of my current favourite flavors in bourbon is a honey-like vanilla flavor, and I haven't found than in WT101 or RR as of yet.

I have however had a hankering to try the WT rye, as here in NC it's the -other- rye.

oh, and before the confusion develops into a full-fledged flame, note that these are whiskies I either don't care for, or haven't sampled enough to care for yet smile.gif

P, Try an unfinished furniture store. You can find oak cabinets, etc... for a fraction of the cost sometimes...just finish it yourself. See ya, H'wood

Hey, this is a joke right?! Wait........April Fool's Day was months ago! grin.gif Everybody likes/loves WT, TRUE!? confused.gif I might have to call my boys out! Yo Jimmmay! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I have a bottle of Ancient Age Preferred. I think it is the only American blend I have (other than a mixer). I'm pretty sure it is the only American blend recommended by the Spirit Journal.

• 3 weeks later...

Heck of a hard choice to make.. I like Julain Vanwinkles 15yr 107 Proof as mcuh or mare than any bourbon Ive had for the price.. It would probably be the last whiskey I would ask for if tonight was my last night on earth. Of course I would wash it down with some 1990 Evan Williams Single Barrel. Then Ive been told. Once I get into heaven I can get 16 & 20 Hirsch, Stagg, 18yr sazerac Rye, Kentucky Spirit, 13yr Vanwinkle Rye, The rest of Buffalo Traces Antique collection, 12yr Wild Turkey, Rare Breed, Pure Kentucky XO 20 & 23 Yr Pappy Family Reserve, Man it's not fair there is no one just best for the price at least not for me. I like them all. Yes, how much money I have in my pocket at times does influence my purchasing decissions. Spent $200 yesterday. Bought 2 bottles of Stagg and 2 bottles of 16yr Hirsch. Will get them on my way thru KY this summer on vacation.. Saving these for something special. Creggor.

I believe I have changed my mind. A couple months ago, I said EWSB.

But, a couple weeks ago, I was hitting too much of my stock that was not available in NC. I decided to get some bottles I could buy locally. I settled on Old Forester 100, EWSB 1992, and WT RB.

It has been a while since I have had EWSB. But, I have to admit, for an everyday pour that I can buy locally, I have to put OF 100 on top. The EWSB is good, but I really have gained a liking for the OF, particularly at $16.

Now, if I lived in KY or IN, I think BT would be in the running. I am out of it right now, so I can't put it side by side with the OF. My initial thoughts is that the BT would win. I remember it being, what, $19?

Does the great state of NC allow you to receive shipments from out of state?

If so, you can get Buffalo Trace ($19.99/ bottle, $227.49/case) from Sam's Wine & Spirits in Chicago.

I'm sure there's a marketing plan at work here, but I find it remarkable that here in SoCal we can buy Blanton's and Ancient Age, but I can't find Buffalo Trace.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I don't know if I would pay the higher prices and S/H for an everyday pour like BT. Plus, I have a 1.75L waiting at my sister's. (She forgot to bring it at Xmas.)

But, apparently, NC does allow shipments into the state. I ordered three bottles of Stagg last night from Internetwines. NC wasn't on their list of no-ship states. And, they took my order online, so I assume they have it in stock.

The bad thing is that I am at my parents' house in WV this weekend. I have access to the Internet, but not to my email! Their cable Internet provider won't let my VPN connection to work go through. So, I can't see if my order has been confirmed. frown.gif

Sam's did not have Stagg in stock. Internetwines wanted $50/bottle plus $15 S/H for all three bottles combined. That was less than I expected.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

for an everyday pour that I can buy locally, I have to put OF 100 on top

I'll second that. OF100 is the bourbon lover's best kept secret. Here in Lexington it is only $13.99 for a 750ml bottle. This one is my favorite of the regular OF line (Woodford Reserve included). And it is a photo-finish behind this years Birthday Bourbon. Good Stuff grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

plus $15 S/H for all three bottles combined. That was less than I expected.

When I was in Louisville this past summer, I thought I heard that BT is only available in KY. It may be in available in IN as well. Maybe I heard this on my BT distillery tour. That may be why you don't see it in CA.

Dave I'd probably still buy AAA 10 for $12-22. It is just that good. The good folks in KY & VA that get it for like $11 are getting a STEAL!!!!

TomC

• 2 weeks later...

My new best value/"worth every penny" bourbon is Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof. Taken neat, this just tastes like a true bourbon should. And it is a steal at $21. I have tasted the 20yo pappy, which is one of my favorite bourbons. While the 20yo is a better, more complex bourbon IMHO, I haven't made up my mind if it is worth almost 4 times the cost of this beauty. Time will tell I suppose. Here's to US and the good life laugh.gif

Couldnt Agree with you more! grin.gifgrin.gif ORVW 10 year is as good a value as there is out there.

MMMmmmMMMmmm Good!

TomC

You make a good case. I used to drink the 15 yo exclusively based on the reviews it has received. But, after I tried the 10 yo this past summer (based on feedback from this group), I believe the 10 yo is the much better value compared to both the 15 yo and the 20 yo.

I love it when you save some money in the process and have absolutely no regrets with regards to the taste. Damn, life is good. grin.gif

Well Chuck, I love the 15 year and I love saving money so i guess you settled it for me... I'll have to run out and get a 10 year as soon as possible! smile.gif

Heres A suggestion. Take some of the 10yr 12yr 15 yr and 20yr Van Winkles and just mix them all together. It's kinda like having group sex and still being fathfull to the one you love. grin.gifblush.gif Heck I might just have to try this combo myself. I actually had a little taste of this earlier this year.. I had some 14yr Black Maple Hills (Julians Whiskey) and mixed it with the little the Van Winkle 20yr I had left in my opened bottle. The mix was quite good. wink.gif Creggor.

I agree with all the answers I have read on this post, but for the money Heaven Hill bb 10 yo is for me, if money was a factor. But here is how I decided I bought 8-10 bottles of everything that was out there, as long as it was at least 6 yo, which I did 3 or 4 years ago and just kept right on drinking them.

Saved all the empties and when I ran out of two or three bottles I checked to see what they were and kept right on drinking! When they were all gone, I got out all the empties then went into shock. Couldn't remember which one I liked best! Started all over - I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Marvin

One i've re-discovered while offered it at a friend's home is beam's choice, 7 year old

I think this used to run 5 years, but now runs 7, is 80 proof, and deceptively in a similar white label as the regular beam 4 year. it runs for $12-13 in NC, and tastes damn good.

It goes a bit quick, especially if you are used to 100+ proof bourbon, but then, thats why they sell it in a 1.75l

In other news, I found one of Wake co's last caches of EWSB '92. I bought four smile.gif

Hello. I can find the Centennial around here at a few places, and wanted to try it because of support here on the board. When did you buy it when you liked it?

When was the batch that's maybe not as good available?

Approximations would be OK.

Thanks

Christopher

• 1 month later...

I must throw a couple of new contenders into the mix for best value:price ratio. Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve at $22/750ml (Lexington) and Old Weller 12yo at $14.99 (Lexington). Both of these beauties posses qualities prominent in very expensive bottlings, but at budget minded prices. OCPR is just one damn fine all around bourbon, and Weller 12yo has rekindled my dying flame for wheaters. A well made wheater can easily stand up to any of its rye competition IMHO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.