(ri)1 - The Right Price

StraightBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When I tried (ri)1 in LA and Julio's, I wasn't offended by the taste, but the QPR made any purchase a non-starter -- until this weekend.

While (unsuccessfully) dusty hunting in Providence, I spotted this bottle and price tag -- maybe more than one typo? -- behind the counter. Y'all know that $20 is my threshold, so now it's mine.

(The only explanation I can come up with is that the locals think it's a custom label that means "Rhode Island is Number One"?)

post-1094-14489815778527_thumb.jpg

I'd buy it for $19.99 I would have bought all they had at $19.99.

I did! ;) (Unfortunately it was just the one bottle...)

I'd definitely get a bottle for 20$. I don't think PA would close it out that cheap - probably 30$.

• 5 months later...

I noticed that Joe (Lost Pollito) mentioned in another thread that the price for ri(1) has been dropped to $30 at Binny's. I wonder if this is a marketwide Beam move, or just a Binny's thing? Has anyone seen this in other areas? Hopefully, it's marketwide. I was generally underwhelmed by the timidity of the flavor profile of my lone bottle of ri(1), and am of the mindset to not get another bottle at the $48ish I put out for it. But, $30 might at least present an impulse buy to give it a second go. Even so, at $30 it's $5ish over my everday rye fave, Baby Saz. So, I don't see ri(1) making significant headway in stealing shelf space in my rye bunker. But, I've been know to get a wild hair while in a liquor store...:D

I would give it a go at $30 wouldn't be a regular buy at that price but at least Beam is headed in the right direction.

I've been taking note of the price of this one after noticing it at Binnys for $30 since it made me wonder if maybe the price had gone down everywhere but the lowest I've seen it for by me is $40. Now that I've tried it I'll say it's not bad at all but even if it were $30 locally I probably wouldn't buy it since I can get Rittenhouse BIB for almost 1/2 that and used to be able to get Sazerac for a couple dollars less (really wish they'd get this back in stock...), both of which I like better.

Yeah, I've been waiting for some sort of "closeout" pricing on the ri(1) since I haven't seen any bottles of this move around here -- the shelves are always full of it. For $40, this is a "no way" item . . . at $25, I might keep it in periodic circulation . . . For $20, I'd probably bunker a couple.

Hidden
Yeah, I've been waiting for some sort of "closeout" pricing on the ri(1) since I haven't seen any bottles of this move around here -- the shelves are always full of it. For $40, this is a "no way" item . . . at $25, I might keep it in periodic circulation . . . For $20, I'd probably bunker a couple.

I'd give it a try for 25 dollars. But I wouldn't be surprised if I never bought another bottle.

It certainly wasn't worth the $43.45 out the door I had to pay here in PA (on sale too!). Since the PLCB is either too greedy, stupid or plain doesn't GAS I doubt we'll see any price drop. When Maker's Mark lowered their price it had no effect here in PA.

OLCC price on this is $51.95 and not likely to change short term, since it's based on their initial puchase from Beam. At that price it's not selling. and it's probably just a matter of time before it becomes an "OLCC discontinued" item. When that happens they usually drop the price, sometimes as much as 50%.

I don't know that I'd buy it even at $26; the bottle wouldn't coordinate with the rest of my collection.

I don't know that I'd buy it even at $26

Agreed....in fact, I'll take it down another notch...not sure I would even buy it at $16. That being said, I've never seen it under $40 in my traveling and forays.

• 2 weeks later...
It certainly wasn't worth the $43.45 out the door I had to pay here in PA (on sale too!). Since the PLCB is either too greedy, stupid or plain doesn't GAS I doubt we'll see any price drop. When Maker's Mark lowered their price it had no effect here in PA.

We haven't seen a price drop for MM either, but the new price list is suppose to come out Feb 1. Same for r1. Wait and see if it drops. The MI LCC did drop price of Ardbeg 10 yr from $69.99 to $49.99 over a 6 month period. Maybe there is hope. I would certainly try it @ $25-$30.

TJ

I wonder if the death knell is ringing in this distance for this label? Sounds like it is in a bit of trouble from all I read here and retailers with whom I've spoken. With the backing of the ginormous Beam though, may be a bit premature on my part to ask such a question.

I wonder if the death knell is ringing in this distance for this label? Sounds like it is in a bit of trouble from all I read here and retailers with whom I've spoken. With the backing of the ginormous Beam though, may be a bit premature on my part to ask such a question.

Maybe they could add cherry syrup to it and call it (réd rī)¹ :lol:

I'm inclined to think it is a product that would do better in a boom time. Status buying is in decline, for that matter so are purchasess by true enthousiasts, but I suspect not nearly so much.

Beam would have done better if they would have catereted to serious enthousiasts. To be sure the market isn't nearly as big but It is more stable and less efected by economic downturns.

Hidden

I was in the state store today what ever they call it now and WT101 was 14.80 a litter. then the guy told me that WTRB was not going to be sold in PA he said some border states were droping it but were on the OHIO line and he didnt say ohio so i didnt care.

if anyone knows why id like to know. id also like to know what job pays more at makers mark the guy under the horse filling the bottles or the guy holding the tail out of the way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.