Bourbon and ice cream?

bonneamie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't usually (well, ever) have ice cream with bourbon but last night I was sipping some FR on ice and decided to have a little chocolate ice cream too--not mixed together!! Very good combination, just the right amount of sweetness in the bourbon to compliment the ice cream. Anyone else have a similar pairing?

I don't usually (well, ever) have ice cream with bourbon but last night I was sipping some FR on ice and decided to have a little chocolate ice cream too--not mixed together!! Very good combination, just the right amount of sweetness in the bourbon to compliment the ice cream. Anyone else have a similar pairing?

Oh yes, oh yes! Good call, Amy. I lucked into a pairing of a fudgsicle and Baby Saz, that had me on my knees shouting Hallelujah! The combo was utterly fantastic, though my neighbors think I'm a little off, and are beginning to whisper about me behind my back. :D Also, paired an Elmer T with a Blue Bell frozen miniature ice cream cone with chocolate on top. :yum: I've been working these two combos frequently, this Summer.

Bourbon makes a great Ice cream topping, and it's the only decent use I've ever found for those "Mint Julep" bottlings. However, I make homemade Bourbon Ice Cream. I do need to work on a dark chocolate bourbon ice cream...or Nutella Bourbon Gelato...or (well you get the point)...

Bourbon on anything sweet is very very good.

My Bride likes to put a donut hole in a shot glass and pour bourbon over it.

When blending up milkshakes skip the vanilla and add bourbon.

I have poured it over pecan pie.

It all works.

I think I would like bourbon with butter pecan ice cream.

Tim

Oooohhhh! That does sound good.

Bourbon on anything sweet is very very good.

My Bride likes to put a donut hole in a shot glass and pour bourbon over it.

When blending up milkshakes skip the vanilla and add bourbon.

I have poured it over pecan pie.

It all works.

You devil you............... !

I think I would like bourbon with butter pecan ice cream.

Tim

I'm with you on this... gotta try it this weekend.

Maker's over vanilla ice cream is da bomb!!! We made Vanilla - chocolate chip ice cream with Maker's Mark bourbon and served it at the KBF barrel relay a few years ago ... it was a big hit on a hot day ...

WT American Honey... over shaved ice.

Like a snow cone??? Great idea!...I might have just found a use for Red Stag...:slappin:

I found a recipe for Bourbon and Maple ice cream a while back and have been waiting for summer to try it as it sounds devine :grin:

Last month whilst staying at the in-laws, my Mother in-law and I decided to cook up a 'Bettys Kentucky Derby Race Day Pie' recipe we found on the web, which basically ended up being like a pecan pie with bourbon and chocolate in it. We slightly over-cooked it, which dried it out, but otherwise it was delicious and went very well with vanilla ice cream on top.

Like a snow cone??? Great idea!...I might have just found a use for Red Stag...:slappin:

Yea, one of Emily's favorites. Your right about the Red Stag. Got to try it myself.:slappin: :lol:

I found a recipe for Bourbon and Maple ice cream a while back and have been waiting for summer to try it as it sounds devine :grin:

Last month whilst staying at the in-laws, my Mother in-law and I decided to cook up a 'Bettys Kentucky Derby Race Day Pie' recipe we found on the web, which basically ended up being like a pecan pie with bourbon and chocolate in it. We slightly over-cooked it, which dried it out, but otherwise it was delicious and went very well with vanilla ice cream on top.

In Kentucky, if Kern's makes it ... the pie is called a Derby pie (trademarked name) ... if anyone else makes it, it's a chocolate nut pie ... either way, it's a tradition at Derby time. ... maybe with a generous dollop of ice cream.

Quick question for those who put bourbon on their ice cream...do you just pour it straight on, or do you do anything to reduce it or otherwise make it thicker beforehand? Bourbon strikes me as much more liquid-y than most ice cream toppings like chocolate, caramel, etc.

Ok... now I have to try bourbon on ice cream.:grin:

In the past, I have had a bit of dark chocolate with Macallan single malt... very good. I see no reason the same wouldn't be just as good with bourbon. I think I'll try that when I pour myself another RR here in a few minutes.

The Bourbon Maple Ice Cream Recipe is as follows: (from http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=bourbon+maple+ice+cream&meta=&aq=f&oq= )

Ingredients

• 4 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation

Place a large bowl in freezer. Let ice cream stand at room temperature 45 minutes or until softened.

With a rubber spatula or stand mixer, combine the softened ice cream, maple syrup, bourbon, and cinnamon in chilled bowl. Cover and freeze to desired consistency.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a gourmet ice cream company called Valentine's Ice Cream that was located in Winchester, KY (just outside of Lexington). They had a bourbon chocolate that was one of the best things I've ever had. They also had a bourbon ball ice cream that was a close second. I would pick up a pint at Liquor Barn when I made my runs, but alas they are no more.

Valentine's is still available.

Flavors and descriptions listed on the website:

Kentucky Bourbon Ball

Fine Kentucky bourbon, pecans and Jamieson's chocolate chips

Kentucky Bourbon Chocolate

Fine Kentucky bourbon and rich chocolate ice cream

Kentucky Mint Julep

Fine Kentucky bourbon, fresh mint and Jamieson's chocolate chips

Kentucky Bourbon Vanilla

Fine Kentucky bourbon and pure vanilla

Manhattan Cherry Cordial

Fine Kentucky bourbon, Sweet Vermouth and Maraschino cherries

New flavors available:

Bourbon-Indonesian Vanilla

Bourbon-Indonesian Vanilla Bean

Several other local gormet ice cream companies offer special runs made with your favorite bourbon.

• 4 months later...

I've poured some bourbon over vanilla ice cream and sprinkled a tad bit of instant coffee on top...not bad IMO.

Eric

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.