The New Old Taylor, First Batch.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As archivist at the Filson Historical Society for the papers of E. H. Taylor, Jr., Mike Veach discovered that Taylor favored white corn, not yellow, and used 2 1/2 times the normal amount of barley malt -- about 25% malt. With 10% rye and the rest white corn, that was Taylor's mash bill. He distilled it to about 107 proof and put it in the barrel that way, aging it for about 8 years.

The picture below, courtesy of Mark Brown, is that recipe, last week, in the micro-distillery fermenters at Buffalo Trace. The first batch of the new Old Taylor has started its journey.

post-5-14489815827073_thumb.jpg

Nice. Hopefully in 2017 we can be talking about this day while sipping on some new Old Taylor.

As Cowdery reported BT wants to get the new OT on par with the Van Winkles as far as quality and reputation but as a ryed bourbon of course.

I think when this comes out they should also change the name.

Using Old in the Old Taylor name might not have the same appeal for a top shelf bourbon.

I would suggest "Edmund Haynes Taylor JR.".

This would give it the look and sound of William Larue Weller, George T Stagg, Thomas H Handy.

This would give it the look and sound of William Larue Weller, George T Stagg, Thomas H Handy.

As Cowdery reported BT wants to get the new OT on par with the Van Winkles as far as quality and reputation but as a ryed bourbon of course.

I think when this comes out they should also change the name.

Using Old in the Old Taylor name might not have the same appeal for a top shelf bourbon.

Their intention is to use "Col. E. H. Taylor, Jr." on all the new stuff. "Old Taylor," as it is, will continue for the time being.

Thanks for the photo. Very exciting indeed! I imagine when it hits the shelves I'll no longer be paying $17 a bottle (as with dusty prices).

Taylor favored white corn, not yellow, and used 2 1/2 times the normal amount of barley malt -- about 25% malt. With 10% rye and the rest white corn, that was Taylor's mash bill. He distilled it to about 107 proof and put it in the barrel that way, aging it for about 8 years.

Is this also the recipe ND was using up until 1972 or when Beam took over?

Their intention is to use "Col. E. H. Taylor, Jr." on all the new stuff. "Old Taylor," as it is, will continue for the time being.

Will "Old Taylor" also be made from the Taylor mashbill, eventually, or will its label grace one of two popular BT mashbills instead?

I think you may be on to something there.

I expect this to be damn fine juice when it hits the shelves, even though it will differ markedly from Taylor's own juice, which came from pot stills. I imagine that BT is using a column still for first distillation, as is standard practice today.

*salivates*

At least for these initial batches, if they are using their experimental still, it will be pot distilled.

At least for these initial batches, if they are using their experimental still, it will be pot distilled.

Thanks Ben, I was just going to say/ask something about that. I thought that I remembered from my tour last year, that their micro-distillery was a pot still. Joe

Thanks Ben, I was just going to say/ask something about that. I thought that I remembered from my tour last year, that their micro-distillery was a pot still. Joe

Their micro-distillery is what I call a hybrid, as it has characteristics of both and can, I believe, run in either plain pot still mode, full-on continuous distillation mode, or some of each, which is what a lot of micro-distillers do. That's where they operate it as a charge still (as opposed to continuous) but they use some or all of the rectification column.

For those who have not been on the tour, this is BT's micro still:

IMG_2130.JPG

Are you sure that isn't a space ship?

Are the Beam OT's now dusty?

The Beam OT's are the kind of dust you sweep under the rug.

Tommy...it's a space ship to a better bourbon. :cool:

Great call Joe, how about the Mother Ship to better bourbon?

P-Funk in tha house!

By the way, the micro-distillery at Buffalo Trace has a new, official name:

The Col. E.H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Copper Distillery

In honor of Col. Taylor, I have changed my SB.com signature to reflect my own commission from Gov. Patton in the 206th year of the Commonwealth (1997).

Their micro-distillery is what I call a hybrid, as it has characteristics of both and can, I believe, run in either plain pot still mode, full-on continuous distillation mode, or some of each, which is what a lot of micro-distillers do. That's where they operate it as a charge still (as opposed to continuous) but they use some or all of the rectification column.

Their still is similar to ours... both were made by vendome. They are in fact "hybrid" stills because there are plates in the column, but because of the set up you can't run it like a continuous still and pull off your finished spirits. Unless theirs is significantly different than ours, you always have to run the batch through the whole column then through the condensing unit. Of course, you have the choice to either turn the plates on or off (or any combination).

• 6 months later...
Can we keep this thread going until the juice hits the shelves? Who's with me?
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have it penciled in on my 2010 calendar to bump this thread no later than August.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

It's early but I just thought of it.

Someone told me recently that they were in one of the BT warehouses and saw some of this reposing.

Someone told me recently that they were in one of the BT warehouses and saw some of this reposing.

Can't wait to sample some of the new Old Taylor. Nice to see BT honoring the roots of an old and storied brand again. Hope Beam can pull off something similar with Crow. The Reserve is a nice step in the right direction, but surely there is such much more they can do with a brand like Old Crow.

I am lucky enough to have a sizable amount of pre-prohibition Old Crow that displays the most intricate flavors of wintergreen and anise. Why can't Beam re-create that?? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!