The New Old Taylor, First Batch.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I read where BT had liberated the good Col Taylor from Beam Global June of last year and now I learn of his hopeful return to his rightful place higher on the shelves and in plain view. I like a good family reunion story.

I am excited about the "new" Old Taylor, but it's too bad I'll have to wait so long to taste it. Also, since BT is going through all of the trouble of recreating the original mashbill, I'm sure we'll be looking at another premium-priced top-shelfer . . . not that there's anything wrong with that, but my future wallet hurts already.

:D

Chuck, there are 2 barrels of the micro-distilled Old Taylor in warehouse C and 2 in D. They have OFC on the barrel heads.

As in, "Old Fire Copper"?

Chuck, there are 2 barrels of the micro-distilled Old Taylor in warehouse C and 2 in D. They have OFC on the barrel heads.

What is going to happen to those four barrels when they are mature, whether or not that be 6 or 8 years, or less? will any of that "experimental" old taylor see the market at all?

I am lucky enough to have a sizable amount of pre-prohibition Old Crow that displays the most intricate flavors of wintergreen and anise. Why can't Beam re-create that?? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

the tree selection simply isn't there. If you discount every other factor, the trees that go towards the barrels simply aren't the same anymore if nothing else.

I am lucky enough to have a sizable amount of pre-prohibition Old Crow that displays the most intricate flavors of wintergreen and anise. Why can't Beam re-create that?? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Better question. Why can't anyone? those are precisely the flavors you can find in bourbons bottled as late as the 1970s, but rarely today.

I blame the Scientologists.

Um, what is it, again, for which we're blaming them?

I blame the reason for This, Global Warming, Scientology, and Mind Control all on Maker's Mark....XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...XAWDER...

What am I getting blamed for now??? After all, it was my research that inspired Buffalo Trace to make the Old Taylor using the recipe used by Taylor at OFC (Old Fashioned Fire under Taylor's ownership) and they even distilled it at a low proof and put it in the barrel at the lowest proof done in several decades. I am looking forward to tasting some of the whiskey. My bet is that at four years of age it will be better than many 7 or 8 years old bourbons.

Mike Veach

Good on ya Mike. I'm really looking forward to tasting it too. Keep us posted if they sneak you a sample or two in a year or two.

You do know we were having a bit of fun don't you? Drinking Bourbon is fun - it's not always serious.

Sailor,

Of course I know that it is all in fun. I will also let you know if they send me a sample or two. The white dog is excellent! I am looking forward to the finished product.

Mike Veach

What am I getting blamed for now??? After all, it was my research that inspired Buffalo Trace to make the Old Taylor using the recipe used by Taylor at OFC (Old Fashioned Fire under Taylor's ownership) and they even distilled it at a low proof and put it in the barrel at the lowest proof done in several decades. I am looking forward to tasting some of the whiskey. My bet is that at four years of age it will be better than many 7 or 8 years old bourbons.

Mike Veach

Mike,

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to this juice. I am glad you worked BT into doing this...

Would be really nice if BT started a waiting list like the Texas whiskey producer.....

Mike Veach

This begs the question, what is the lowest distillation proof/barrel proof bourbon on the market today? On first blush I would guess WT, but I am nowhere near as educated as most on this forum.

Great job convincing the good folks at BT to do this, Mr. Veach.

Mike,

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to this juice. I am glad you worked BT into doing this...

I tell you what, for all the crap BT gets for dropping age statements, raising the prices of premium brands, etc. Good for them for experimenting like this and trying to give us something like the bourbon of the good 'ol days (not that I've had that much bourbon from the good 'ol days, yet). I know they aren't mass producing it yet, but still.

This begs the question, what is the lowest distillation proof/barrel proof bourbon on the market today? On first blush I would guess WT,

Yep it's WT and 4R's, Jimmy and Jim in Lawrenceburg do it right.

Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve are using a 110 barrel entry proof. Jimmy Russell will not say what the barrel proof is on Wild Turkey and I know it has gone up over the last two decades and I suspect it is also 110. Four Roses is going into the barrel at 120. The Old Taylor is going into the barrel at a proof closer to 100 than 110.

Mike Veach

Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve are using a 110 barrel entry proof. Jimmy Russell will not say what the barrel proof is on Wild Turkey and I know it has gone up over the last two decades and I suspect it is also 110. Four Roses is going into the barrel at 120. The Old Taylor is going into the barrel at a proof closer to 100 than 110.

Mike Veach

That is a good question about the Woodford. I suspect that it is just the ones that are made at Woodford, but I don't know that for sure. I will find out tomorrow since I am doing a Woodford Bourbon Academy with Chris tomorrow.

Mike Veach

That is a good question about the Woodford. I suspect that it is just the ones that are made at Woodford, but I don't know that for sure. I will find out tomorrow since I am doing a Woodford Bourbon Academy with Chris tomorrow.

Mike Veach

Low barrel entry proof can be achieved by a low proof off the still or by adding more water. Woodford comes off the still at near the maximum of 160 proof. Wild Turkey comes off the still at 130 and goes into the barrel at 115. Beam actually has the lowest proof off the still to my knowledge, with Baker's and Booker's, which come off at 125 and go into the barrel that way, with no water added. So Turkey has a lower entry proof, but Beam has a lower proof off the still.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!