Sazerac 18 Question

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looking at the data sheets the evaporation for the Saz 18 in 2006 was 67.73% when it went into stainless. In 2007 the data sheet reflects evaporation of 51.94% and in 2008 54.08%. First off why would the evaporation given it is in stainless be anything other than 67.73% and secondly why would it drop? Lastly why would anything evaporate out of sealed stainless ( 2007 to 2008 )?

What is it I am failing to grasp????

I'm going to guess that a different batch of barrels was bottled each year (all went into stainless steel at the same time).

It is the same juice tanked in 2006... with no other whiskey added to it.... moved from one tank to 3 tanks.... given the data sheets the tanked juice has less evaporation (actually gained volume??) now then when it went into the tank/s???

So looking at the 05/06 fact sheets, the ONLY difference is the tasting comments, all else is exactly the same. Then in 2007, as you say Reid, the evaporation loss decreases down to 51.94% and everything else is exactly the same except for the tasting comments. In 2008, it's the same yet again except for the evaporation loss at 54.08% and the tasting comments. So, as you question Reid, if Saz was tanked in 2006 at an evaporation loss of 67.73%, how can that loss, if sealed in tanks, decrease almost 16 points. I'm not getting it. It's always 28 barrels, and always the same mashbill, proof off still, proof at entry, char level and warehouse storage. The whiskey isn't aging in the tanks and I wouldn't think BT would allow loss ($$) to just float away in evaporation so you got to figure the tanks are sealed, but at the same time I don't think BT has figured out a way to gain whiskey out of thin air.

What gives?

Just FYI, I moved this from General Bourbon, to American Rye....

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first guess.... whay couldn't they have put it into several tanks, all at the same time. Tank A could include the barrels used in the 2006 bottling, Tank B the barrels for the 2007 bottling, etc. The different groups of barrels could have different evaporation levels.

Has anyone come up with a clear answer from the source on this ... not being adversarial - just curious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.