ORVW 23 Year Old 114 Proof

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was Mr Vareeky nicer than our Michigan Rep?

Tony

I didn't catch his name but when I was loading the trunk of my car he walks up to me again because he happened to be parked by me and I showed him the WT Tradition 14yo's.

He was with a Liquor Barn employee having a smoke and he says to him about me in a what can I say type tone, "bourbon collector",... that is an improvement over "bourbon geek".

Hansell gave it a good review today but questions the price, saying it's not all that different from Pappy 23 but $130 more expensive.

Hansell gave it a good review today but questions the price, saying it's not all that different from Pappy 23 but $130 more expensive.

Well, I'm looking at it from a collector's perspective. I understand that I can get the Pappy 23 anytime I want, but this box will have a provenance that will likely be very exclusive. You're right I could get the same flavor for a better price, but the packaging and exclusivity is what will set this one apart in 10-20 years.

Dont let, (Members name) TN bourbon, see that you might want to keep this as a collectible, he thinks that we all sould drink the stuff no matter what. If someone spends their money and wants to stash or hurd the stuff, it is America, and we should be able to do that.

Dont let, (Members name) TN bourbon, see that you might want to keep this as a collectible, he thinks that we all sould drink the stuff no matter what. If someone spends their money and wants to stash or hurd the stuff, it is America, and we should be able to do that.

That is all they push on this board, if you bought a bottle, you better drink it. Most of the members go with this philoso phy. Why cant someone just buy a special bottle and just enjoy looking at it and appreciate what it is, instead of "Man You Gotto Drink the Juice". It is just like a classic car or painting, why cant we just sit and look and admire, instead of destroying someones craftmanship. That is my opinion.:hot:

Have your opinion, but you do NOT call out members of this board that way in public! If I am not making myself clear you'll earn a long trip away from this board! - VOL

He is allowed to have his opinion just like your are. Come on man you cant be like that!

Unless TN Bourbon is holding your stash hostage, why do you care what he thinks? I value his opinion as a long-time member here, but I don't feel threatened that he may have different opinions from mine.

If you think he was being a jerk, sort it out via pm. Otherwise, leave your flames at home. Opinions are fine but there's no reason to attack him in a public forum.

I have learned a lot from guys like TN that do crack every bottle they can. I've bought bottles solely on this boards recommendation. That said, I currently own more bourbon than I will likely drink in a decade. I am a collector, as distasteful as some may find it. But I definitely understand the "use it or lose it" mentality. That's the way I feel about cars.:toast:

My remedy for the situation is I always buy 2 if I can one to hold and one to drink. However when it comes to dusties you may not have a choice of buying more than one. Then you could collect that one until you find another which is what I do. Or I wait for that special occasion.

Someone down the line may be willing to trade it for something I have been looking for or cannot find in my neck of the woods.

One should never attack another for stating their opinion or beliefs, thats what makes America great. This forum has given me very valuable feedback and references so I can increase my knowledge and love for Americas' Spirit.

Listen, TNBOURBON has collected and sold his bourbons a few different times.

He knows that chasing after all the newly released and old E-BAY bottlings can be addictive and very,very expensive. Maybe If you just drink the bourbon, you won't collect it, nor chase after expensive releases.

If one wants to collect, that's fine. If one wants to drink, collect, chase,etc.(like me, alas) that's ok by most board members including TN.

Greenman I don't think your getting what we're ( a lot of us) are talking about. If you want to get a bottle of something and keep it till the cows come home more power to you it's your choice and right. But a lot of us take this as a brotherhood if I had a special bottle of say a PHC 50 anniversary signed by Parker and I had this for 10 years. One night I had Joe or Tony etc. all at my house and they said I always wanted to try that, as much as I had meant to keep that as a collectors item. It would be open in a flash because a brother wanted to try it and it was meant to be drank and enjoyed with friends but that's my opinion. The enjoyment is sharing with a true enthusiast and sharing the experience together.

I've been here a long time and TN Bourbon is the last person who would tell other people what to do. He does share how he makes decisions about his own behavior. If anyone feels TN Bourbon is bossy and censorious, that's a misinterpretation. He just isn't that way. He is one of the kindest, most generous and least judgmental people you will ever know.

As long as this board has been in existence, its members have been generally open-minded. Most of us drink our whiskey neat, but at least one long-time participant swears by ice and drinks it no other way. Some people come here with absolutist attitudes, but shed them after exposure to people who think differently.

As for collecting, there are some who believe that every bottle should be open and drunk, but that doesn't mean anyone is intolerant of collecting. If anyone feels they've been ridiculed or abused because they collect, that's unfortunate. Plenty of people here collect. Others don't collect per se, but they have special bottles which, for one reason or another, they are unlikely to open anytime soon.

If you say your favorite drink is Pappy 23 and Gatorade, you might get some negative feedback, and the denizens of this place get justifiably righteous when people appear out of nowhere and demand free appraisals of some bottle they've found, but most participants here go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. If we sometimes fail it's not because our hearts are in the wrong place.

If you say your favorite drink is Pappy 23 and Gatorade

Are you making fun of ME now? Just when you were sounding all Kumbaya and you had to go and spoil it..

If you previously expressed a fondness for Pappy 23 mixed with Gatorade I was unaware of that and apologize for any offense. Gatorade is a fine product and a tribute to the members of Gator Nation everywhere.

I smell product placement... after all, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute isn't at the University of Florida, but rather in Barrington, Illinois -- a suburb of Chicago! ;)

What was that about ice? :skep: I hear my glass tinkling. :slappin: It's all good Chuck. :grin: Joe

I'm an avid collector; I collect open bottles. Resale may be a problem, so I'll just have to drink the potential profits.

I have a friend that is an avid collector. He usually buys two bottles of anything rare, one to put back and one to open.

Though I do not collect packaging, advertising, memerobilia, etc., I certainly understand the allure. I know several people that collect unopened Jim Beam decanters and new unopened fancy bottles (like Skull vodka) and all types of stuff. It's hard to know what will appreciate in value, that's why it's called "speculation." But the people I know do it more for fun than hopes of potential profit.

Thank Chuck!!

I always try to buy 2 bottles. I just ordered from:

Binny's 2 each of Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel OESV

Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel OESK

I want to be able to taste and enjoy them now and then down the road if I have friends or other SBer's over or meet at the Gazebo during KBF then I want to be able to let friends try these all together. I plan on buying a 9 of them ( I have 3 so far).

I think it will be fun to try these all together and see how they differ.

They are here in Houston. Price is $352 cash.....$377 credit. The whiskey is very dark and the bottle, glasses and case look impressive.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.