If you had one book for your library - it would be..

New2Whiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Joe, from the Bible I would take the Song of Songs / Song of Solomon :)

Chapter 4

"Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speech is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within thy locks.

Thy neck is like the tower of David builded for an armoury, whereon there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men.

Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.

Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, I will get me to the mountain of myrrh, and to the hill of frankincense.

Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee."

Well, the Bible is a tough act to follow. No doubt about that. But, sitting down in a quiet, lighted room when it's just too cold to go outside...You don't need music...you don't need food...All you need is a nice pour of your favorite bourbon and Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat," and you'll get a relaxing laugh that you very well might find hard to equal anywhere else.

I've got to agree with Andy's vote for Raymond Chandler.

I might pick Farewell My Lovely or The Long Goodbye over The Big Sleep, but any Chandler novel or short story goes well with American whiskey. I'm blanking on the title, but one of Chandler's novels pushed me to make my first cocktail -- a rye and ginger ale. Marlowe mixed up a batch for some police officers who stopped by to make him sweat, and the drink sounded so good, I had to make my own.

Hmm . . . now that I think about it, doesn't one of the bad guys in The Big Sleep poison someone with a tainted bottle of bonded whiskey?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" -

it tells the tale of "an Alabama native who writes for the New York Times, tries to join Bama RV nation, he spends five months obsessing about every tiny detail associated with Alabama football and, in the process, comes into contact with a slew of good ol' boys, well-to-do entrepreneurs and the most hated man in Alabama."

I'm a fan of college football and this book had me laughing and planning a trip of my own sometime down the road.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.