The Bourbon Review: MIA?

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone spotted any recent editions of The Bourbon Review. I received a copy of the Summer 2009 edition which was the 1st of 4 editions when I subscribed for a year, but have yet to see any further editions. Unfortunately my attempts to contact them via their web site have gone unanswered :(

If you are on Facebook, you may want to try to contact them there. I see periodic updates on their Twitter via Facebook. Look for BourbonRevMag

Cam,

what is on the cover of that edition? I will take a look locally and see if a different one is out.

Ox has a good idea. Bourbon Review is active and facebook and twitter. I would send them a message that way for quick response.

-Clay

Hey Guys, thanks for the updates. I'm not so worried about my subscription.... it's only a few $$, but I'd hate to see what seems to be a good thing they've got going fade away.

Clay, the last edition I received has the cover with the fancy glass sitting on a bar... (if that helps,) and thanks for offering to look around :thankyousign:

Thanks for starting this thread. Come to think of it, I signed up for a subscription at the KBF and haven't seen an issue yet. Does anyone know when the next issue is due out? Joe

I don't remember if it is a quarterly or not and it does not state any info about that in the mag.

The last issue I have is dated Summer 2009 that has the martini glass on the cover.

Here's a number from the mag for subscriptions, advertising and distribution, 800-489-8414.

I purchased it at the KBF as well. I cannot recall if they were giving out the Fall edition or the Summer. Will need to double check.

Regardless, this by far is what I would consider the best whiskey mag since it is dedicated solely to bourbon out of the "Malt Advocate / Whisky Mag" variety (Which reminds me, I need to also sign up for Chuck Cowdery's newsletter, just have not gotten around to it yet:banghead: ).

Granted, from reading the last year and a half’s magazines from the BR handouts at their KBF stand, they truly have very interesting insights on things. Funny thing was, when looking at the free magazines the publishers were handing out at the KBF, Whisky Mag and Malt Advocate were basically supported by bourbon advertising, and those 2 had no bourbon articles. Couldn't quite understand why there was not even a bourbon article in the Fall Mall Advocate, since it is a domestic product and the bourbon festival was taking place. My father and I got a chuckle out of that one.

Cam I got the fall issue a long time ago say late September I would contact them. For those of you that signed up at the KBF their subscription dept is slow your subscription probably won't start till the winter edition comes out in late December. If you don't get it then contact them. I didn't get mine when I was supposed to and they made it right with 2 free back issues.

I purchased it at the KBF as well. I cannot recall if they were giving out the Fall edition or the Summer. Will need to double check.

Regardless, this by far is what I would consider the best whiskey mag since it is dedicated solely to bourbon out of the "Malt Advocate / Whisky Mag" variety (Which reminds me, I need to also sign up for Chuck Cowdery's newsletter, just have not gotten around to it yet:banghead: ).

Granted, from reading the last year and a half’s magazines from the BR handouts at their KBF stand, they truly have very interesting insights on things. Funny thing was, when looking at the free magazines the publishers were handing out at the KBF, Whisky Mag and Malt Advocate were basically supported by bourbon advertising, and those 2 had no bourbon articles. Couldn't quite understand why there was not even a bourbon article in the Fall Mall Advocate, since it is a domestic product and the bourbon festival was taking place. My father and I got a chuckle out of that one.

There was an article about the bourbon festival written by Chuck in the fall Malt Advocate.

Cam I got the fall issue a long time ago say late September I would contact them. For those of you that signed up at the KBF their subscription dept is slow your subscription probably won't start till the winter edition comes out in late December. If you don't get it then contact them. I didn't get mine when I was supposed to and they made it right with 2 free back issues.

Thanks heaps for that. I purchased their first years magazines (4 in total) and a years subscription. So far I've been very impressed with each magazine.... I'm just bummed I didn't get a Fall one yet, and that no one is answering my attempts to email them :skep:

I have an e-mail for one of the guys at the mag and he tells me they are alive and well. Look for the new issue to come out.

Thanks heaps for that. I purchased their first years magazines (4 in total) and a years subscription. So far I've been very impressed with each magazine.... I'm just bummed I didn't get a Fall one yet, and that no one is answering my attempts to email them :skep:

One of the owners is a member of this site or was I have looked all the variables of user names for him and can't find it. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

I had an email from Justin Thompson today and he wished for me to pass on the word that they are still around and putting together the next issue.

Mike Veach

I had an email from Justin Thompson today and he wished for me to pass on the word that they are still around and putting together the next issue.

Mike Veach

And what is the "next" issue?

Fall 2009? Which I still have not received or Winter 2009/2010?

I would say the next issue will be out after the beginning of the year. They are wanting something for the issue to relate to the Taft induction into the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame in December.

Mike Veach

I would say the next issue will be out after the beginning of the year. They are wanting something for the issue to relate to the Taft induction into the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame in December.

Mike Veach

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

So does that mean there was not a Fall 2009 edition?

So does that mean there was not a Fall 2009 edition?

I got a fall edition it had a ridiel glass being filled on it.

I got a fall edition it had a ridiel glass being filled on it.

When did you get it?

Summer 2009 is the last issue I got and I have a subscription.

I sent a follow-up email to them, and got a reply back from Brad. He appologised for the Fall edition not being sent and said they'd get on in the mail to me straight away.... Apparently they've had a few 'teething' issues with their international subscriptions.

When did you get it?

Summer 2009 is the last issue I got and I have a subscription.

Late September I would say about the same time Malt Advocate fall issue came out.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a reply email from Brad at TBR.... He was extremely appologetic and offered to get my Fall magazine to me ASAP....

Not only did he send me multiple copies of the magazine, he was also generous enough to send me a great TBR T-shirt as well! Very cool, and very much appreciated :cool:

Shewdog, there were FIVE stories on bourbon/American whiskey in the fall issue of Malt Advocate: two by retired Jim Beam Master Distiller Jerry Dalton, one by Chuck Cowdery on Bardstown, Lew Bryson's article on flavored bourbons, and Dave Wondrich's story on rye cocktails. Maybe you need to have another look? American whiskey will always have prominence in every issue of Malt Advocate.

Shewdog, there were FIVE stories on bourbon/American whiskey in the fall issue of Malt Advocate: two by retired Jim Beam Master Distiller Jerry Dalton, one by Chuck Cowdery on Bardstown, Lew Bryson's article on flavored bourbons, and Dave Wondrich's story on rye cocktails. Maybe you need to have another look? American whiskey will always have prominence in every issue of Malt Advocate.

I stand corrected, and will have to question my sobriety when reviewing the magazine and revalidate which issue I was looking at to make an erroneous statement.

I have a question though, in prior issues I have read and also whiskey notes I have received, there seems to be more news about Scotch than non-Scotch, and it can be a perceived bias since I am only interested in North American Whiskey. If I had the time, I would actually do a tally, but in the 2-3 Whiskey Notes sections I looked at there is a 3:1 / 2:1 ratio of Scotch to North American Whiskey news and non-tasting notes. Is this just industry activity or a decision to have more Scotch Articles than non Scotch?

Worldwide, scotch outsells American whiskey by a ratio of about five to one. Even here in the United States, the largest market for American whiskey, most whiskey enthusiasts are primarily interested in single malt scotch. Even to most Americans, 'whiskey' means scotch.

As a person who is interested in American whiskey and who has very little interest in scotch, that's just something I have to accept.

Of course, every publication and publisher is entitled to their own vision. Of the two main magazines aimed at whiskey enthusiasts, Malt Advocate has consistently more American whiskey coverage than WHISKY does. The Bourbon Review is what it is. So is The Bourbon Country Reader.

There is also this web site, and others. The American whiskey community is small but growing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.