Templeton Rye. Hoist Upon Its Own Petard?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There are some subjects that keep recurring, so often I get tired of writing about them. One is the great spelling controversy--to "e" or not to "e"--another is Jack Daniel's; bourbon or not?

Another is whiskey producers who call themselves distilleries but whose products are made by somebody else. Sick of it, yes, but when I saw this picture I just couldn't resist.

Those are Templeton Rye barrels. The picture was supplied by them. See, it says "Templeton Rye" right there on the head. But look at what else it says, "distilled 10/03."

Leaving open the possibility that "10/03" does not mean October, 2003, one can compare that date with the fact that Templeton Rye was formed and received its alcoholic beverage producers license in 2005. You can figure out the rest.

post-5-14489816205775_thumb.jpg

This IS interesting . . . I guess the question would now become who's distillate is it? A little mystery. We know that Ritt BIB is non-HH distillate (B-F IIRC but I could be wrong) and I don't know if the barrel entry proof is the same for rye as for bourbon, but if so, this seems low @ 110 & so seems to rule out BT or HH. I thought the Temp Rye most closely resembled Wild Turkey Rye in flavor & they barrel at a low proof, but I'm not sure if WT sells bulk whiskey and it seems they wouldn't have enough to do so. So?

Anyway, I don't know a lot about these things, but I do love a good mystery! Also, it may be the photo quality/angle, but it almost looks like the top of this barrel was sanded where the logo is.

The most widely spread theory spread put forth by Chuck elsewhere is that Templeton Rye is from LDI the Angostura (formerly Seagram's) plant in Lawrenceburg, Indiana and was intended for blending in Seagram's 7 or VO.

I can see the resemblence between WTR and Templeton. I think what they both have in common is that they have a higher rye content than most others on the market which are "barely legal" at just around 51%. Just a guess based on my tastebuds tho.

It's a shame that there has been so much drama around the brand, since some days I think it's the about the best rye whiskey I've ever had.

Mark Gillespie interviewed the owner on WhiskyCast and was told that Templeton is distilled at LDI, which Mark mentions at the end of the interview. See episode 206: http://www.whiskycast.com/6_2009archive.htm

Thanks, Sku, Josh & Chuck. When I first posted I was thinking of Tutilltown, not Templeton . . . I realized my mistake & deleted the post -- but upon seeing the bottle, I remembered that I have indeed tasted Templeton & stand by my previous comments. I had read Chucks posts last year, but didn't know this wasn't a mystery anymore . . . shucks.

Looks like those barrel heads were sanded and re-stenciled.

I still don't think I've managed to get my paws on any of this, despite really wanting to try it, being the rye fiend that I am...

That's been an open secret for a long time. I'm glad it's finally on the record.

But you'd never know it from the Templeton web site or their newsletters, which do everything short of outright lying to make people believe it was made in Iowa and since most of the people who buy it don't follow the Bourbon Blog, that's exactly what most people think, and that's the point of their perception manipulation, which I find reprehensible.

Anyway, I don't know a lot about these things, but I do love a good mystery! Also, it may be the photo quality/angle, but it almost looks like the top of this barrel was sanded where the logo is.

Glad it wasn't just me.

I still don't think I've managed to get my paws on any of this, despite really wanting to try it, being the rye fiend that I am...

Binny's has it, and is pretty much the only place to get it outside of Iowa, as far as I know. I thought it was generally good, but not as good as the High West Rendevous Rye, which I believe are also from LDI. A higher proof on the Templeton would definitely help it out.

I thought it was generally good, but not as good as the High West Rendevous Rye, which I believe are also from LDI.

I would definitely agree with that -- The High West Rendezvous was a really great high-rye rye whiskey -- I enjoyed it very much.

Timothy

I had a bottle of it on the table at the gazebo at the KBF. It was almost a full bottle by the end of the week so not too many people were interested. I think it was Josh that took it home as I have a half bottle in my stash all ready.

Timothy

I had a bottle of it on the table at the gazebo at the KBF. It was almost a full bottle by the end of the week so not too many people were interested. I think it was Josh that took it home as I have a half bottle in my stash all ready.

Twasn't me, the wife picked mine up for me at Binny's a few months ago and it hasn't left the house or picked up a friend since then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.