Extensive whiskey advertisements listed

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, Jono, that was really fun, thanks for posting!

#161 on the list is the Pappy clipping that showed up a couple weeks ago "Is Bonded Bourbon Too Strong?"

#171 is a crazy Old Fitz candle holder decanter

but my favorite slogan has got to be Old Taylor: "Signed, Sealed, & Delicious!"

:slappin:

Wow, Jono, that was really fun, thanks for posting!

#161 on the list is the Pappy clipping that showed up a couple weeks ago "Is Bonded Bourbon Too Strong?"

#171 is a crazy Old Fitz candle holder decanter

but my favorite slogan has got to be Old Taylor: "Signed, Sealed, & Delicious!"

:slappin:

That's where I saw the Pappy "Bonded" ad!

If you go to the bottom of the page, click

"Gallery View" you can scroll left to right and

view 'em all.

(edit to add - There are ads for other subjects

that some of you might find interesting.)

Today....Adam Lambert...or Billie Jean King and Martina Navratolova.

The older guys in the lower right corner....."Oh behave!" Ian McKellen and Gore Vidal...

The name lends itself to mischief as well....:o

Certainly a demographic that you could appeal to....no different then vanilla whiskey etc.

$ is $.....the brand needs revived.

Bellows Fellows.....

All I can say, it must have been some really straight laced, buttoned down, country club, Ward and June Cleaver types not to have seen the unintended comedy in some of those ads.

Bellows apparently had enough sales for Beam to keep making it after they bought National. I'm not sure where it sold/sells or if they still make it.

• 6 months later...

The warehouses for the Canada Dry Distillery are still standing and owned by Wild Turkey. They are right across the road from the Camp Nelson Cemetery, just north of the bridge over the Kentucky River.

Here's what the distillery looked like. The Hawkins boys converted the old Hotel into the distillery.

post-6062-14489816726458_thumb.jpg

Here's what the distillery looked like. The Hawkins boys converted the old Hotel into the distillery.

Bellows apparently had enough sales for Beam to keep making it after they bought National. I'm not sure where it sold/sells or if they still make it.

I think it was the other way around or perhaps both ways. It was a distillery before Prohibition but was a fine limestone building and was converted into a hotel during Prohibition, then back into a distillery after 1933.

Was that picture taken from a balloon?

Hopefully I can spread some insight about the Hawkins' and distilling. Five generations of big time distilling beginning around 1850 in Lawrenceburg Kentucky, but never any credit as far as history goes....

You're correct, my Great Grandfather Hurd Hawkins 4th generation distiller, went to Mexico during prohibition and assisted with some tequila distilleries. After prohibition he returned and his sons Mel and Ballard refurbed the distillery in Camp Nelson.

Photo was taken from another cliff to the East of the distillery. There were close to 10 different brands bottled from the stuff which was made there, variants depended on age mainly - was all the same stuff. Old Hawk, Aunt Jinny , and Canada Dry were 3 of the ones I know of ...

Here are some photos of Hurd and Mel distilling at the distillery now known as Four Roses. Move this post if need be.

post-6062-1448981672981_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1448981673005_thumb.jpg

post-6062-144898167303_thumb.jpg

Canada Dry, aka Kentucky River, is south of Lexington near Camp Nelson, which was a Union supply depot during the Civil War. It is in Jessamine County.

The Hawkins family is primarily associated with the distilling history of Anderson County, which is northwest of Jessamine. In particular they were involved with the two distilleries located in the vicinity of the current Four Roses plant.

The photograph of the fermentation area looks pretty similar to the current plant, but the mash cooker shown is completely different. The third picture is the most interesting, as one of the men is holding a mash rake and has it in a can. I suspect they are getting ready to innoculate a fermentation tank with yeast.

Here are some photos of Hurd and Mel distilling at the distillery now known as Four Roses. .

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Thanx 4 the pics hiliary, btw do you work at 4R's?

No, I don't work there. I work for a company called RR Donnelley.

I grew up smelling the mash in the air from Wild Turkey and Eagle Rare in Lawrenceburg KY though. Also witnessed the huge Wild Turkey fire years ago from my home. Eagle Rare was made where Four Roses is made now during the 70's.

Would have loved to have been the seventh generation distiller somewhere but wasn't in the cards for me I guess.

I'll post some pics of my collection of the family goods at some time.

I also have a complete case of unopened Canada Dry Bourbon leftover from a 1960 presidential campaign party for Kennedy, found in a hotel in NYC. ( A lucky Ebay find). Pretty cool having some bourbon which my Grandfather made way before I was born...

No, I don't work there. I work for a company called RR Donnelley.

I grew up smelling the mash in the air from Wild Turkey and Eagle Rare in Lawrenceburg KY though. Also witnessed the huge Wild Turkey fire years ago from my home. Eagle Rare was made where Four Roses is made now during the 70's.

Would have loved to have been the seventh generation distiller somewhere but wasn't in the cards for me I guess.

I'll post some pics of my collection of the family goods at some time.

I also have a complete case of unopened Canada Dry Bourbon leftover from a 1960 presidential campaign party for Kennedy, found in a hotel in NYC. ( A lucky Ebay find). Pretty cool having some bourbon which my Grandfather made way before I was born...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.