A 'Pappy' Shiraz

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a bottle at Party Source a few weeks ago.

I haven't opened it. It's a 2008 vintage. Probably needs a few more years in the bottle. I'm planning on opening mine somethime after 2013.

• 6 months later...

I bought 6 bottles online for my dad for christmas. We recently opened one and I liked it a lot. I don't drink a lot of wine, and probably don't have the best wine palate, but it was thick with strong black/blueberry flavors. Packed a lot more punch than most wines i have had, but was not overpowering. I couldn't taste bourbon per se, but I could definitely tell it was different.

Jesus...

Aussie Shiraz and Bourbon barrels...

That's it I am done... I don't need to drink anything else...

I am done!

If I drink it then I can die happy and could care less what happens next.

I got a bottle at Party Source a few weeks ago.

I haven't opened it. It's a 2008 vintage. Probably needs a few more years in the bottle. I'm planning on opening mine somethime after 2013.

How do you store your wine?

Laying down with wine on the cork or straight up like we do our bourbons and why?

I have a couple of these and I have them upright and I too am waiting until 2013.

How do you store your wine?

Laying down with wine on the cork or straight up like we do our bourbons and why?

I have a couple of these and I have them upright and I too am waiting until 2013.

I know you were specifically asking Josh, but thought I'd chime in. I do believe that the general consensus is that it is wise to store wine laying down. I know that the wine cellar in my parents house is designed so that it has all of their wine laying sideways, and they have some bottles that have been aging for decades, and drink beautifully when opened with no cork trouble. On the other hand, I remember talking about it with my father, who is the wine snob in the family, and he told me that he wasn't convinced it was necessary, but figured why take the chance.

I remember talking about it with my father, who is the wine snob in the family, and he told me that he wasn't convinced it was necessary, but figured why take the chance.

That's interesting, I have had "corked" wine before, it's awful, and although I am no expert it seems that having them straight up you have a better chancce at avoiding that problem.

That's interesting, I have had "corked" wine before, it's awful, and although I am no expert it seems that having them straight up you have a better chancce at avoiding that problem.

I've heard cork taint is quite terrible. I've luckily never experienced it, myself. My understanding of corked wine in regards to TCA contamination is that it is unavoidable on the part of the consumer, regardless of storage. I may be corrected on that point, though.

Vertical, horizontal or at some angle in between...these are screw tops so it doesn't really matter.

Vertical, horizontal or at some angle in between...these are screw tops so it doesn't really matter.

Well I'll be damned, I just checked and you are correct Sir!

Hah, well that point is definitely a game changer. Anyway, the wine sounds interesting.

Very cool that you all got your hands on some. I hope it ages nicely for you who are waiting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.