Christmas Dinner - with bourbon?

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since we are going camping next week, I decided to add a little extra cooking/smocking this year to the menu. I hickory smoked a good 17lb bid plus a Roast Beef and some pork. The pork was a combo rib and tenderloin combined. I had not seen this cut before so I grabbed a couple... and ooh baby is that good...

I used a rub on the beef & pork smoked with hickory and just hickory smoke on the turkey. Let me tell ya folks, them good eats... what did you cook up for Christmas dinner...?

Smoked turkey breast from the Turkey Farm with the usual trimmings. I also made a cranberry mold.

Soon I'll be enjoying a Bell's Christmas Ale.

Smoked turkey breast from the Turkey Farm with the usual trimmings. I also made a cranberry mold.

Soon I'll be enjoying a Bell's Christmas Ale.

The cranberry mold is raw cranberries, oranges, sugar and Jell-o. 24 oz washed and picked cranberries finely chopped in a food processor, the zest from two medium oranges and two peeled oranges also food processed. Two packages of cranberry Jell-o and a cup of sugar. My mom's receipt called for more sugar but since I've been diagnosed as a diabetic I've cut it down.

My mom would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it was a family favorite and particularly liked by my dad. When she could no longer function, I tried making it and it took several tries and a mistake before it was perfected. One Thanksgiving, my dad declared, what happened you made it like mom's! I had to confess that I made a mistake and forgot to add the sugar until some time later to luckily discover that it had not yet setup. So I added the sugar and it set up just like my mom's would. So each year I make it for both holidays and recall fond memories of both my parents.

I really do wish they were still alive just to spend some time with them doing nothing special and to thank them again for all that they did for their family.

The cranberry mold is raw cranberries, oranges, sugar and Jell-o. 24 oz washed and picked cranberries finely chopped in a food processor, the zest from two medium oranges and two peeled oranges also food processed. Two packages of cranberry Jell-o and a cup of sugar. My mom's receipt called for more sugar but since I've been diagnosed as a diabetic I've cut it down.

My mom would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it was a family favorite and particularly liked by my dad. When she could no longer function, I tried making it and it took several tries and a mistake before it was perfected. One Thanksgiving, my dad declared, what happened you made it like mom's! I had to confess that I made a mistake and forgot to add the sugar until some time later to luckily discover that it had not yet setup. So I added the sugar and it set up just like my mom's would. So each year I make it for both holidays and recall fond memories of both my parents.

I really do wish they were still alive just to spend some time with them doing nothing special and to thank them again for all that they did for their family.

It must be the same or very similar recipe I have. I use lemon Jell-O and unflavored Jell-O. My mom only made it for the Thanksgiving and Christmas and sometimes for Easter.

I'm a diabetic, too. We're like brothers from another mother. But, my mother is still alive and just as painful as ever. (Hee-hee) Splenda is good stuff, when you get used to it.

The cranberry mold,................

....................My mom would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it was a family favorite

Your post reminds me of my Mother's Christmas fruit salad and memories of her.

Guys, thanks for the comments.

I've had people suggest Splenda, but my diabetes is well controlled. I get by with Metformin, some diet control, and exercise.

I smoked a turkey with hickory and we also had a spiral-sliced HoneyBaked ham. My brother brought over the homemade cornbread dressing (my mom's great recipe) and gravy, and of course we had all the other usual stuff with it.

Darn Gus, I had a heck of a lot to eat (and drink) over the Xmas holiday, but your post leaves me wanting more. Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.