Anyone try the new Mckenzie rye whiskey?

emr454
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Joe, Don't forget to take a page from Emril LaGassy. While preparing the Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, he adds a bit of smokey spice in the form of a good rye whiskey. After several long pulls on the bottle to ensure the taste is right, he splashes about six ounces into the gumbo and then, BAM, he adds a bit of pepper. :grin:

Duly noted Dan, and thanks!! I'm not sure I can keep it under 6 ounces, though! :D

Cheers!

Come on now, you know you read Martha every month.:lol:

Just for the pictures! Martha is H-O-T!! :D

• 7 months later...

I got a bottle of this today after tasting a sample given to me by a fellow SB'er. I like this stuff alot, even in a mixed drink. The aging in sherry barrels give it a nice touch!

Thomas

• 3 months later...

Just ordered a bottle each of McKenzie Bourbon and Rye. Looking forward to the tasting as well as adding these as representatives of micro-distillery expressions to my collection.

Tom, are your products sold at any specialty stores in KY (Party Source, etc.) or is distribution limited to the NY area? Your 80% rye aged in smaller barrels and finished in used sherry casks sounds like a great product!

I think Jay Erisman just took it on. But I do not know if he has product yet. My hands are full with making it. I will find out and let you know.

I think Jay Erisman just took it on. But I do not know if he has product yet. My hands are full with making it. I will find out and let you know.

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally went out and bought this bottle of Mckenzie Rye. Why, oh why, did I wait so long to give this one a taste?

I have to say, this is the first rye whiskey that's had a biscuity, rye bread/Irish soda bread flavor up front. The flavor then fades into something reminiscent of opening a box of lipton black tea and taking a nice deep breath. There is a restrained rye spiciness, perhaps a bit minty, and a moderate finish ending up with a nice soft dryness. This isn't a bold, spicy rye, but very elegant and well balanced.

In conclusion, If you haven't tried this yet in fear of it being a young whiskey, put your fears aside and buy a bottle! I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Tmckenzie, please keep up the good work over there at FLD, and thank you for such a unique product.

Eric

Well, I finally went out and bought this bottle of Mckenzie Rye. Why, oh why, did I wait so long to give this one a taste?

I have to say, this is the first rye whiskey that's had a biscuity, rye bread/Irish soda bread flavor up front. The flavor then fades into something reminiscent of opening a box of lipton black tea and taking a nice deep breath. There is a restrained rye spiciness, perhaps a bit minty, and a moderate finish ending up with a nice soft dryness. This isn't a bold, spicy rye, but very elegant and well balanced.

In conclusion, If you haven't tried this yet in fear of it being a young whiskey, put your fears aside and buy a bottle! I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Tmckenzie, please keep up the good work over there at FLD, and thank you for such a unique product.

Eric

Thanks man. I am keeping at it. You are right about the tea, you get it big time over the fermenter.

I would have attributed the tea taste to tannins from barrel aging, but if you're smelling it in the fermenter then is it a product of the grains/mash?

Eric

I would have attributed the tea taste to tannins from barrel aging, but if you're smelling it in the fermenter then is it a product of the grains/mash?

Eric

• 2 years later...

Just noticed McKenzie Rye hit Party Source! Congrats to Tom and anyone nearby that hasn't had the pleasure of trying it yet. I hope Leopold Bros. is the next to make its way into KY.

Just noticed McKenzie Rye hit Party Source! Congrats to Tom and anyone nearby that hasn't had the pleasure of trying it yet. I hope Leopold Bros. is the next to make its way into KY.

Hasn't reached Georgia yet so I recently got a bottle shipped from NY (Batch 13/2013).

post-8493-14489820017349_thumb.jpg

Liked it very much and so I got the bourbon and pot still whiskey recently to try as well. Will have to work those into the rotation soon!

If it is even as close to being as good as the bourbon samples Ingot last year, it will be fantastic. One of the small guys doing things right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Is that pricing of $40 for a full 750? I hope so, I would be willing to give it a try at that price at least once. I saw the earlier reference to trying to keep prices down referring to "some guys charging $50 for a 375" or something referring to other NY craft distillers. While that may be true, I would stay clear of believing you're under current market prices just because you didn't pull the crap that HUDSON has. I will never buy a hudson product because of their prices, many others agree. When they're trying to charge $42 for a 375ml of CORN whiskey...you aren't offering a great product to supporters, you're price gouging fools who fall for your scam. This Finger Lakes Rye nowever I will be willing to try at least one bottle of this rye if its around $40. I know its in pa on our state site, but I think its slightly higher than $40. EDIT- just checked, its $45 for a 750mL. A bit high for a young whiskey but maybe next pay i'll give it a try if I don't encounter anything else.

Edited by jmj_203

A bit high for a young whiskey but maybe next pay i'll give it a try if I don't encounter anything else.

Yeah, they're 750s, wish the cost was less than $40 but at that price I would spring for a bottle.

Just picked some up today. It is batch 15 from 2013 and I really enjoy it. A good floral rye upfront with a smooth dark chocolate finish.

I picked up a special order of McKenzie rye (17/2014) & whiskey (13/2013) in May. Nobody (well, my usual stores in WashDC) had it on the shelf or in the "cabinet" back then but at least one other store does now. About $45 plus tax per 750ml (put the receipt in the tax box which isn't handy so don't remember precise cost). I will be opening the rye in the next couple of days when I'll have a couple of no-plan evenings so I can spread out the tasting.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up a bottle of batch 12/2013 and had a small pour. It is full and round on the palate, great mouthfeel, rye spice balanced nicely with the sweet notes from the barrel and corn. I don't know what the average age is on this batch, but my initial impression is that it is very well-balanced/well integrated. Seamless transitions from attack through mid-palate to the finish.

If this is what low distillation proof/low barrel entry proof can produce at a young age, wow, keep going. What a great way to differentiate your products. Sometimes barrel finishes can stand out, but if I didn't read that this is finished in NY sherry wine barrels, I wouldn't have picked it up. Really well done.

Hidden

Just picked up a bottle of batch 12/2013 and had a small pour. It is full and round on the palate, great mouthfeel, rye spice balanced nicely with the sweet notes from the barrel and corn. I don't know what the average age is on this batch, but my initial impression is that it is very well-balanced/well integrated. Seamless transitions from attack through mid-palate to the finish.

If this is what low distillation proof/low barrel entry proof can produce at a young age, wow, keep going. What a great way to differentiate your products. Sometimes barrel finishes can stand out, but if I didn't read that this is finished in NY sherry wine barrels, I wouldn't have picked it up. Really well done.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.