$200 to spend on Japanese whiskey in Tokyo, suggestions?

Mamba
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a friend that is going to Japan shortly and I am giving him money to purchase me some Japanese whiskey. I only want whiskies I cannot get in the States, and am giving him $200 (maybe a bit more if warranted). I had a 180ml bottle of 10 year Nikka Yoichi 45% ABV that another friend got me several years back, and I thought it was phenomenal. I will probably ask for a 700ml of that one, but I want at least another bottle (or two) of something different. Looking for great "affordable" Japanese whiskies. Nothing too old, rare, or expensive. Preferably single malts, although anything high quality is fair game. Any suggestions?

I was just in the UK and got to taste

Nikka Yoichi 10

Nikka 17

Yamazaki 10

All were very good though I wish I had the Yamazaki 12 to compare it to side by side with the 10.

If you want something moderately priced I'd try out the Nikka from the barrel. They sell those in 500ml bottles and they shouldn't be all that much and are higher proof.

I'm jealous. My brother in law was there in October but he got quarantined for the trip so he couldn't get out and buy me any!

I would highly recommend anything by Ichiro's Malt, although they are expensive and getting harder to find. They will probably eat up your whole $200, but they are fantastic.

If you want more bank for your buck, there are a number of good whiskies not available in the US: Nikka Yoichi, Suntory Hakushu and Karuizawa are probably the easiest to find.

Does anyone know what the Nikka Yoichi 10 year tends to cost over there?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.