A little bourbon goes a long way.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The other night I roasted a turkey breast, cooking it low and slow in a covered roaster. I made the gravy that came with it and after I removed the turkey from the roaster, I deglazed the pan with a little Old Grand-Dad BIB. Not much, a splash, just enough to loosen the baked-on goodness. This I added to the gravy. It added a lot of flavor but not too much.

I was reminded of something a person who developed recipes for one of the distilleries told me, that whiskey can be substituted for vanilla extract in just about any recipe. A little goes a long way.

what a coincidence, I just cooked a Jennie-O turkey breast for supper tonight. I love the gravy packs that come with those. Alas, I didn't deglaze the pan with bourbon. in situations like that, If I use more than a tiny splash, the wife objects. Maybe I use too much.

Ahem!:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121774&postcount=9

You don't ALWAYS have to have confirmation from a distillery, Chuck!:cry: :lol:

And, I believe I've noted that my now-twice, annual Thanksgiving turkey "wettin'-ing" whiskey and accompaniment has been straight rye, a close cousin to anything Old Grand-Dad.

When it comes to kitchens, American whiskey is pretty much staple food.

Ahem!:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121774&postcount=9

You don't ALWAYS have to have confirmation from a distillery, Chuck!:cry: :lol:

And, I believe I've noted that my now-twice, annual Thanksgiving turkey "wettin'-ing" whiskey and accompaniment has been straight rye, a close cousin to anything Old Grand-Dad.

When it comes to kitchens, American whiskey is pretty much staple food.

The person who told me this was also a Tennessee native. Coincidence?

What can I say, Tim. I become more like you every day.

Split and soak a vanilla bean in a bourbon mini.

The longer it sits the better it gets.

Use in all recipes calling for Vanilla Extract.

I find this works well in real whipped cream, French toast, custards, apple pies.........

• 3 months later...

At Cyrus Restaurant in Healdsburg (awesome meal, 2 stars in Michelin) at the bar they have the following:

26353582320f293ced4e2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This samovar is filled with Weller Reserve (sorry, still have not learned all the shorthand) and vanilla beans and citrus. They let it infuse constantly and use it to make their manhattans. Very nice. If you are ever in their area, it is worth the price (ooh, this not be cheap).

Cool picture. I'd like to try one of those infused Manhattans. It seems that the vanilla could easily overpower the rest of the flavors though, or maybe I'm just sensitive to that particular flavor.

After my two devious daughters emptied my favorite bottle of Cholula hot sauce and put it back in the fridge for me to be disappointed later, I noticed it had a lot of pepper sauce dried on the insides of the bottle. I introduced a bit of bourbon and shook it up nicely. The bourbon reconstituted the remaining pepper sauce and added a whole new dimension to my food seasoning plan. Later, my youngest daughter and most prolific fridge filtcher confronted me with my scrambled egg enhancer and accused me of conspiring against her. :bigeyes:

I thought it was great. But, I guess taste is an individual pursuit. :yum:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.