Bourbon and the Blues

Theron Volkman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is somewhat related to bourbon. One of the benefits of living in Lincoln, Nebraska is the Zoo BAr, a nationally known blues

venue. over the past 25 years i have heard such blues greats as Luthur Allison, Charlie musslewhite, Jimmy Thackery and

Magic Slim. I have spent many an enjoyable evening listening to the blues and sipping on bourbon.

Lincoln is also home to The Lied Center for Performing Arts, a fantastic venue for musical and theatrical productions. Last night

I had the privilege to hear B.B King at the Lied. I filled a flask with Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve and picked up one of my

favorite ladies. We had seats in row 3, dead center. B.B King was less that 30 feet from me.

He sat in a folding chair and played nearly non-stop for almost an hour and forty five minutes. We nipped at the flask and listened

to some of the best blues I have heard in years. He said that at 75 years of age the band said he had the right to sit down and

play if he wanted to, and he wanted to. Even at 75 years of age when it comes to the blues he is still "da man".

Theron

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Theron it's great to hear that you're a bourbon drinking blues fan. B.B. King is magic. Was Susan Tedeschi with him? Have you heard her? She's great!

To me the great electric blues of the 50's & 60's were bourbon powered.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn,

He had a young lady named Shemenka Coleman with him. She's only 21 years old but

you are gonna be hearing more of her. She was great.

I have one of Susan's albums but haven't had the opportunity to see her in person. Maybe some day.

Theron

I'm not really a blues aficionado (Stevie Ray Vaughn is about as deep as I've gone), but I did hear an interview with Shemenka Coleman on a local public radio station in Pittsburgh about one year ago. She's just a kid, but I remember being startled by her sound, and I heartily recommend checking her out. She did a thing called "Tell Momma" with her band...I heard it once and I can still grin when I remember it.

Ralph Wilps

I believe Shemika (sp?) Copeland is the daughter of the late Texas guitar legend Johnny Copeland. Great genes.

Andy

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Ralph if you like Stevie Ray let me suggest Jonny Lang's first CD "Lie To Me".

Since this is a bourbon forum let me also suggest drinking Kentucky Spirit as you listen.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

My friend, the blues photographer Ray Flerlage, tells me that Muddy Waters was an Old Fitzgerald drinker, a fact he and Muddy discussed on several occasions.

The blues of that era was fueled by various substances, but bourbon was one of them. One of the top sellers on the South Side in that era was Old Grand-Dad Bottled in Bond.

--Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.