Humidors

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What are the basic requirements for a good humidor? Obviously a good seal and cedar lined, but what else should a newbie cigar enthusiast look for when purchasing his first humidor? I am getting tired of going to the Liquor Barn every time I want to have a cigar, so I though I would keep a few around the house. I guess I need something that will hold 25-50. Is there a good place to buy these on the Net for a good price? I would like to keep it under a hundred if possible.

Jeff,

Hinges are important. They be hidden and allow the seal to be complete when close. Humidifier is important. I found that in during the winter, one is not enough, so I've supplemented the built-in with another from Liquor Barn. The hydrometers that come in most humidors are analog and pretty useless. I suggest going to Radio Shack and buying a portable digital model. I think I paid about $12 dollars and its half the size of a deck of cards. The secret to humidors is that the wood acts as a humidity cushion absorbing and releasing moisture to balance the humidity in the chamber. For that reason, you must have wood, not metal or glass or Tupperware. Be sure and season your humidor by bringing up the humidity slowly for about a week before placing cigars into it. Cedar lining is a must. Trays and dividers make sorting and finding easier but rate as added luxuries for me. I suggest you try E-Bay and purchase a Used one. I got an inlaid walnut, cedar lined with Brass hinges, two trays, humidifier, hygrometer, cutter, torch, ashtray and humidifying solution for about $30. Doctor told the previous owner he had to quit NOW.

Be careful. It starts with one cigar and the next thing you know, you've got 100.

wink.gif

What pepcycle siad. Another thing to look for if you buy in person is when you shut the lid, listen for that whoosh of air being pushed out to indicate a good seal. Also, take a small flashlite with you. Turn it on, put it inside and close the lid.Look at the edges. No lite, good box!! This is one thing where paying for quality is a good thing. Keeping your sticks fresh makes all that more enjoyable when you get em out and lite em up!! And BArgain humidors is a good place to buy. Mike is good people!! JMHO Tim

• 3 weeks later...

All the advice given here is second to none but you must ask yourself how many smokes do you want to keep at home. I have a very nice mahogany and oak humidor that holds 125 PC to maybe 100 lonsdales depending on manufacture. My favorite size's are the rothchild, robusto and the toro. At that size I can get maybe 60-65 sticks in there.

The problem is I smoke em as fast as I get them but have come to appreciate the aged cigar just as we enjoy aged bourbon. I now have a couple of coolidors that I made that is home to about 300 cigars. I have less than 40 dollars tied up in them and all the cigars are aging nicely in cedar boxes at 70/70.

So the question is how many cigars do you want to keep at home.....?

Steve

Steve,

I ended up buying an inexpensive small humidor @ Premium Humidors on the Net. It holds about 25 rothchilds or about 15 Churchills. For the time being this is working out fine, as Leslie doesn't want me smoking too much in the house. So only 1 or 2 a week at present. I figure that to change once spring and summer permit some leasurely tastings out back on the deck. I have thought about the coolerdor you mentioned. Where did you get your spanish cedar?

• 8 months later...

Though I hate to do this, don't buy from www.bargainhumidors.com The individual that owns this site has been run off several Cigar BBS for constant violation of the rules and his general attitude toward customer service.

If you want a cheapie, buy a humidor at Sams Club. They carry the IDC brands and you can pick up one cheaply.

My advice is to save your pennies and buy the best you can afford. Diamond Crown is one of the best on the market and I can direct you to several specialty custom builders for even better humis.

• 1 month later...

I have gotten most of my humidors from TopShelfHumidors.com because they are so competitively priced. They have a beautiful glass-top 300-count model with legs, and this guy sells them cheaper than anyplace I've seen. Check it out!

As for cigars, I like two retailers:

JRCigar.com is the largest retailer of cigars in the USA. Because of the volume, their prices are the lowest around bar none. For great service (like personal help putting together samplers, or advice on which cigars you might like, or the little stuff like double shrink wrapping your cigars so that they come ready to smoke) I like to order from TBS-Cigars.com The proprietor's name is Eric Turner, and he is the owner of StogieChat.com as well.

A note for how big of a humi to get... always get bigger than what you need currently. You will out grow it... trust me wink.gif

Amen. I outgrew my first little desktop in about 2 weeks lol.gif Now I barely have any room left in my 50qt coolerdor. It is easy to get caught up in this hobbie and it can sorta get out of hand confused.gif

My Verona 3000 Cigar Tower should be here early next week. It is a cabinet-type humidor and is supposed to hold as many cigars as the name implies. I will be able to get it about halfway full.

Bargain Humidors is a good place to get scratch and dent models. I've never had problems with the owner and I know about his problems at CF. I know him personally and he has always been a good friendly and generous person. Sam's has stopped carrying IDC humidors. Don't get the humidors with only piano hinges, you want the corner hinges.

correction: Sam's has got a few in, they have had a drought for the last 2 years, but they finally got a few in this year.

Hey B-Dub, have you ever done business with Famous Smoke Shops? www.famous-smoke.com Prices are comparable to the sites you mentioned but with a larger variety. They have weekly sales and occasionally one-day-only specials if you get on their email list.

Another site I have purchased from is www.theash.com that says it is going out of business. I have gotten some really good prices on one of my favorites La Perla Habana from them, but the others I have been looking for have only been soso priced. Might be worth a look once a week to see if they drop prices again.

Thanks for the links. I have about a dozen places where I shop prices when I'm in a mood to buy. Mostly, I have a guy who will match whatever price I find out there... and I like to go through him. His service, coupled with the lowest prices, makes for a nice cigar-buying process. For example, he always double shrink-wraps my cigars. I haven't found anyone else who is willing to do that for me.

I've heard of Famous Smoke Shop, but have never checked out their site. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.