George T. Stagg candy bar!

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well I've dug into my box already and I do get some bourbon, but I would say the chocolate is playing lead here, which is the way it should be. The wife & I have been enjoying them a lot. The price is high, but it's a unique product and I think the price is on par with gourmet candies from other places.

I'm glad I got them and I'm sure I'll be ordering from her in the future!

Thak you Josh for sharing one of your stash with me. It was a delicious treat during my workday with a hint of bourbon.

I really like them, maybe not as much as her single malt bar, but still very good.

They aren't intended to be Bourbon balls or liquor filled chocolates, the Bourbon is an ingredient that melds with the others and gives the bar a rich flavor and a feint Bourbon finish...good stuff.

I happened to see an episode of "Good Eats" on Food Network, in which Alton makes chocolate ganache for truffles. The recipe calls for chocolate, butter, cream, corn syrup and brandy.

I've made Alton's truffles several times, most often for gifts, and I have used bourbon in place of the brandy. Whether with bourbon or cognac they are always a well-received gift.

I've seen truffle recipes that have a more solid center and no enrobing, but snap of the outer shell and the smooth creamy middle make these a better choice. It's more work, since you have to temper the chocolate used for the shell, but better results.

I have not tasted store-bought truffles that are this good. On the other hand, since I use expensive chocolate, these cost more than most store-bought truffles (not counting labor).

• 4 weeks later...

First off, thank you to Sku and Chuck for discussing BonBon Bar chocolates on their respective blogs. I wouldn't have known about them otherwise, and they made for a great Valentine's Day present to my girlfriend. Giving a variety of BonBon Bar candies as a gift allowed me to sample the Stagg bar without drawing attention to myself or my bourbon geekiness.

I like the Stagg flavored bar a lot -- the salty topping works well with the rich sweetness and the flavor of bourbon. As others have mentioned, the Stagg doesn't clout you over the head, but I definitely pick up the taste of bourbon.

I'd buy more, and look forward to tasting the Talisker-flavored bar.

All credit to Silverfish. I wouldn't have known about the bourbon bar but for this thread, which he started.

All credit to Silverfish. I wouldn't have known about the bourbon bar but for this thread, which he started.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone looking to try (or retry!) these, I received an e-mail from Nina:

BonBonBar s holding its 2nd Annual Candy Comfort promotion! Just as we begin

to emerge from wintertime, tax-time, and recession-time (hopefully!), I think

that a little handmade candy for friends, family, and co-workers might come as

a welcome relief.

So, the rules are the same as last year -- we're offering a 20% discount for all

confections sent as gifts through Sunday, April 18. Do gifts to yourself count?

Absolutely... but remember that all orders must be accompanied by a gift

message. Kind (or funny) words rival chocolate in brightening up someone's

day, and that is what candy comfort is all about!

Coupon code: candycomfort

• 5 weeks later...

just ordered scotch and bourbon collection. includes, in addition to stagg bars, talisker DE bars and balvenie 2wood caramels.

hope it stays cool here for shipping.

• 5 months later...

Just ordered a box of 6 for the Dad for Christmas. Hoping he's generous enough to share one with me since I have let him indulge in a couple of pours of my 2010 Stagg.

• 10 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.