Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, as promised in another thread here's the info I have on the 10 recipes by 4R's.

Letter Abbreviations

O-.................The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The mashbill.

S-.................The 3rd letter=Straight whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-..The 4th letter=The yeast strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

The Ten Recipes And Where They Have Been Used

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage

OBSK-Small Batch & 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage*

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-

OBSF-

OESV-

OESK-Small Batch & 2008 Mariage

OESO-Small Batch & Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESQ-2009 Limited Edition

OESF-

*=10yo and 19yo OBSK was used in the 2009 Mariage, so there was a mariage of 3 bourbons in that bottle.

I have found no info on what's in the "Yellow Label" 4R's

Can anyone clue me in?

Can anyone clue me in?

It's a mix of all 10, but I have no idea what perchentages are used.

FWIW I tried a sample of one store's barrel strength offering and the gentleman who selected the barrel told me the Yellow Label was a mix of all 10 as well.

If you're wondering why "O" stands for Lawrenceburg......think "O"ld Prentice....the distillery name at the time of the designation.

Also the "F" yeast has been around for years, but no single barrels are of age(9 to 10yrs). Evidently all barrels produced with the "F" yeast in the past have gone into the Standard bottling. Rumors are the Minty yeast produces excellent Bourbon.

Jim Rutledge has told me that the yellow label contains all ten and then some, in that they use a couple of them at more than one maturity. He said if you add age as a variable its more like 14 different whiskeys in the yellow label.

This is, of course, within the definition of straight bourbon and is not a 'blend' in the legal sense, although it is in practice a blend of straight bourbons.

OK, as promised in another thread here's the info I have on the 10 recipes by 4R's.

Letter Abbreviations

O-.................The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

Mashbills

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage

OBSK-Small Batch & 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage*

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-

OBSF-

OESV-

OESO-Small Batch & Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESF-

*=10yo and 19yo OBSK was used in the 2009 Mariage, so there was a mariage of 3 bourbons in that bottle.

Can anyone clue me in?

Very precise information indeed! Thanks Oscar.

Leif

Don't let all the negative comments bother you Oscar. I don't care what the other people say, I think you did a great job.

The info is much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Letter Abbreviations

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-.................The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-..The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage & 2010 100th Ann

OBSK-Small Batch & 2008 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage*

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-

OBSF-

OESV-

OESO-Small Batch & 2007 Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESF-

"Yellow Label" uses all 10 recipes plus an additional four at different ages.

I added the 2010 100th Anniversary Barrel Strength that's due out soon, also the year for the 40th Ann & the 120th Ann.

Also changed the Yellow Label info.

Yes, great job, Oscar. I was thinking about the different 4R recipes over the weekend and doing a search here once I got back to my computer. (I remembered the original post.) Low and behold, here they are!

I have a single barrel that has been my favorite open bottle for several months (getting dangerously low). My back-up is a gift set bottle with glasses, but I think I need more from the same barrel I'm enjoying now.

I've found only two stores in my area that carry 4 Roses and one of them just closed. Neither has had any of the special releases. One day soon I'm takin' a road trip to KY.

One day soon I'm takin' a road trip to KY.

So you are from lower 'Bama?

I'm from northern 'Bama, maybe we can hook up in KY and compare notes.

Indeed O, thanks for the list.

Your Lower Bama and Northern Bama talk reminds me of the story Former Los Angeles Dodger great Don Sutton tells: Sutton was born in the Southern Alabama town of Clio. During his Dodger days, people in Los Angeles would ask him where he was from. He'd quickly respond LA, in his southern drawl. The questioner would typically get a look of disbelief, and counter with something like: "I didn't know that, you sure don't sound like you're from around here." Wherein, Sutton would come back with: "LA...That's Lower Alabama." :D

• 2 months later...

How do you stand those winters in MI?

As far as the winters go, it's OK cuz it's winter and we're up north, it's suppose to be cold, snowy and icy, that's fine.

What I don't like is the summers, it's hot and humid.

After the cold long winter and no spring we still have cabin fever up here in the summer cuz ya gotta stay indoors with the air conditioning.

As far as the winters go, it's OK cuz it's winter and we're up north, it's suppose to be cold, snowy and icy, that's fine.

What I don't like is the summers, it's hot and humid.

After the cold long winter and no spring we still have cabin fever up here in the summer cuz ya gotta stay indoors with the air conditioning.

• 2 months later...

Letter Abbreviations

Mashbills

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage & 2010 1B 100th Ann & 2010 SmB LE

OBSK-Small Batch & 2008 1B 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage* & 2010SmB LE

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-

OBSF-

OESV-

OESK-Small Batch & 2008 Mariage & 2010SmB LE

OESO-Small Batch & 2007 1B Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESQ-2009 1B LE

OESF-

Four Roses Bourbon or as commonly referred to as "Yellow Label" uses all 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 bourbons in that bottle.

I updated the above with the new 4RSmB LE that was just released.

Am I correct in saying that Bulleit is still made at 4R? Does that use one of the mashbills and yeast strains listed here or is that considered a seperate entity.

Am I correct in saying that Bulleit is still made at 4R? Does that use one of the mashbills and yeast strains listed here or is that considered a seperate entity.

I don't know what yeast they use, but Diageo purchases the high rye mashbill for Bulleit. The good folks at 4R tend to get a little cranky when asked about Bulleit, though. Although they do produce it, its not their product. It's just a contract for them. They're focused on what they're making under their own label.

Josh is correct but the contract, made as part of the agreement to sell 4R to Kirin, is graduated. Several years ago it transitioned from aged whiskey to new make. The amount also goes down every year. 4R isn't that big so they need their capacity to support their own growth. That means they're not supporting Bulleit's growth. The other people who are making it for them--Brown-Forman, Tom Moore, Jim Beam--have the ability to make it to their specifications, so there is no reason to doubt it's the same mash bill. It may not be the same yeast, however. Those are proprietary strains and I think they were sold along with the brand and distillery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.