Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Josh is correct but the contract, made as part of the agreement to sell 4R to Kirin, is graduated. Several years ago it transitioned from aged whiskey to new make. The amount also goes down every year. 4R isn't that big so they need their capacity to support their own growth. That means they're not supporting Bulleit's growth. The other people who are making it for them--Brown-Forman, Tom Moore, Jim Beam--have the ability to make it to their specifications, so there is no reason to doubt it's the same mash bill. It may not be the same yeast, however. Those are proprietary strains and I think they were sold along with the brand and distillery.

Chuck

I may or may not be understanding what you are saying, are you saying that several distileries are making Bourbon to varing degrees of specifications? Then these are are vatted together to make Bulleit?

Paul

I enjoy Bulleit, so if I understand correctly, 4R is reducing its ouput of Bulleit and that is being made up by other distilleries?

• 4 months later...

We are about 10 to 12 weeks from the 4R1B LE Spring Release.

I was wondering what recipe Mr Rutledge would use this year.

There have been four of them now starting in 2007 and they are as follows in the order of their release.

OESO

OBSK

OESQ

OBSV

As you can see he has chosen alternating mashbills each year, if the pattern holds then it should be the E mashbill.

Of the five yeast varieties all but one has been used and that is the F yeast.

So is OESF, the Low Rye mashbill and Light Herbal Essence yeast going to be the one for Spring 2011?

Oscar,

The OESF is an excellent bourbon. Let's see!! But the oldest available batch is only 8 yrs old, which may put it on the back burner awhile.

I was wondering what recipe Mr Rutledge would use this year...

So is OESF, the Low Rye mashbill and Light Herbal Essence yeast going to be the one for Spring 2011?

I'll be the contarian here and say that I hope it's not OESF. I tried it at Binny's a while back and it was a weird experience. Very un-Four Roses in character, sweet and minty. The OBSF I liked much, much better. The higher rye complemented the yeast strain very nicely.

I'll be the contarian here and say that I hope it's not OESF. I tried it at Binny's a while back and it was a weird experience. Very un-Four Roses in character, sweet and minty. The OBSF I liked much, much better. The higher rye complemented the yeast strain very nicely.

I haven't had either of the OESF or OBSF but I don't doubt your analysis.

Now I want to try the OBSF.

I've had three the OESO, OBSK & OBSO. Loved them all but the first two I put in Holy Grail territory.

I haven't had any of the OE's but I've tried all the OB's at binny's and OBSQ was my fav, shortly followed by OBSK. The others were also interesting though.

Interested to try the OE's.

Also- if you're in the chicago area, there's a new whiskey bar that caters mainly to bourbon drinkers (I'm not even sure if they serve scotch). it's called big star chicago (in wicker park area), and while its not cheap (12 dollars a glass), they do have a couple of their own barrels of four roses that are not listed on their website. They also have a lot of good pours in the 4-5 dollar range. They also have really good tacos.

check out their website:

http://www.bigstarchicago.com/

The 4R OBSQ:

http://yfrog.com/h58o7ijhj

(I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but when a place opens up that caters to something we hold dear, I figured I would help spread the word).

I have some older Binny 4RSB selections (Barrel #1, #2 and 3, I believe). Anyway of knowing what "recipe" these selections were?

Is it the 100 proof or the barrel proof? If it's the 100 proof, its supposedly all obsv (but different barrels of course).

Also- if you're in the chicago area, there's a new whiskey bar that caters mainly to bourbon drinkers (I'm not even sure if they serve scotch). it's called big star chicago (in wicker park area)

check out their website:

http://www.bigstarchicago.com/

They also have Ale-8-one. Get that with some ew green, and you're back home in KY. :grin: Love it.

The OESF is an excellent bourbon. Let's see!! But the oldest available batch is only 8 yrs old, which may put it on the back burner awhile.

Of all the recipe's, I found the F yeast to be the most interesting. It's the outsider compared to the others.

The weirdness and un-Four Roses'ness is what caught my attention. I like it. Other than Dave's OBSK, the F yeast would be the only recipe that I would purchase another bottle of.

Although; the fact that I liked Dave's OBSK makes me hold out hope that Four Roses will come around for me. Thank god for samples.

I was wondering what recipe Mr Rutledge would use this year.

There have been four of them now starting in 2007 and they are as follows in the order of their release.

OESO

OBSK

OESQ

OBSV

As you can see he has chosen alternating mashbills each year, if the pattern holds then it should be the E mashbill.

Of the five yeast varieties all but one has been used and that is the F yeast.

I sent an email to Jim Rutledge with a link to the above post and asked him for a comment.

Below is his response.

(cut-copy-paste)

Hi Oscar,

The selection has been narrowed to two excellent Bourbon recipes, and all I can say at this time is I never have a preconceived plan or notion relative to the mashbill or the yeast code. The ultimate selection is always based on my perception of an exceptional Bourbon – aroma – taste/palate/mellowness – and paramount is a soft and smooth finish - relative to its barrel strength. Having said that, I also know that I’m competing with myself every year and I know that what I like best may not be perceived as well by others since we all have our individual tastes, senses…and perceptions of what is the best of the best. The selection process is challenging, fun and at times frustrating. I asked several people who do not sit on our tasting panels, plus a couple people that regularly participate in evaluations their perceptions and preference. I’m a minority of one relative to the probable choice. If this year’s selection is not received as well as our Limited Editions in previous years I’ll be the first person to let the others know that they were absolutely correct in their evaluation and selection – hopefully before they get to me – in a good natured/fun reminder…. I think either recipe will be great and that’s part of the joy and simultaneous frustration of self-competition – I want every year to be better than the previous years’ selections, but in reality it’s ultimately relative to what the consumers like…. And I bet you thought my age was the reason the little hair I have remaining on my head is white. Sorry for so many words which say absolutely nothing. The choice will be made and announced very soon.

Jim Rutledge

Master Distiller

Four Roses Distillery

1224 Bonds Mill Road

Lawrenceburg, Ky. 40342

www.fourroses.us

What a cool email. thanks for sharing, Oscar.

Jim has the coach speak down pat as to not give away any secrets. :cool:

"I’ll be the first person to let the others know that they were absolutely correct in their evaluation and selection"

That's pretty funny right there.

I've been hoping they have the tasting of this years 4R1B LE Spring Release on Thursday this spring. I think they did it on Wednesday last year and I didn't feel like taking an extra day off to attend.

That's more than a little bit cool that he's willing to exchange emails with thoughtful customers.

I have some older Binny 4RSB selections (Barrel #1, #2 and 3, I believe). Anyway of knowing what "recipe" these selections were?

Maybe Joe can track this down. I talked with him about it about a year or so ago and can't remember if he got sidetracked before finding the answer or if I lost my notes. I have this series and would like to know as well.

Roger

That's more than a little bit cool that he's willing to exchange emails with thoughtful customers.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Jim he talks to you like A. Your input is as important as his B Your an old friend. That's just the way he is. Very cool dude and smart as they come. You'd also think he's about 15 to 20 years younger than what he is.

I should be able to track that down tomorrow with Brett.

So, the first 3 barrels were most likely OBSV. We got those 3 before the recipes were printed on the bottles.

So, the first 3 barrels were most likely OBSV. We got those 3 before the recipes were printed on the bottles.

That's surprises me. They taste different enough for it to have been plausible.

At the time, the talk was all that Binnys was the first to get single barrels of the non-standard recipes - and the promise they were three different recipes was the only reason I mail ordered for them at that time.

And also with Oscar. :)

That's surprises me. They taste different enough for it to have been plausible.

At the time, the talk was all that Binnys was the first to get single barrels of the non-standard recipes - and the promise they were three different recipes was the only reason I mail ordered for them at that time.

Me 2. These bottles predated the recipe labeling. They very well could be other recipes, but your guess is as good as ours.

I brought this up here in the forums back when the three bottles were released and the prevailing opinion was that FR would never allow a non-standard mashbill on a known label...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.