Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's surprises me. They taste different enough for it to have been plausible.

At the time, the talk was all that Binnys was the first to get single barrels of the non-standard recipes - and the promise they were three different recipes was the only reason I mail ordered for them at that time.

Remember every single barrel is different.

Those had to be OBSV because 4R wasn't doing the individual recipes at that time and they were labeled "Single Barrel".

• 1 month later...

The 2011 Spring release from 4R will be called 2011 Single Barrel Limited Edition.

It is from the OBSQ recipe which has never been used except for one of the 14 bourbons in Yellow Label.

Updated chart below.

Letter Abbreviations

O-.................The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The mashbill.

S-.................The 3rd letter=Straight whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-..The 4th letter=The yeast strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

The Ten Recipes And Where They Have Been Used

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage & 2010 1B 100th Ann & 2010 SmB LE

OBSK-Small Batch & 2008 1B 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage* & 2010SmB LE

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-2011 1B LE

OBSF-

OESV-

OESK-Small Batch & 2008 Mariage & 2010SmB LE

OESO-Small Batch & 2007 1B Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESQ-2009 1B LE

OESF-

*=10yo and 19yo OBSK was used in the 2009 Mariage, so there was a vatting of 3 bourbons in that bottle.

Four Roses Bourbon or as commonly referred to as "Yellow Label" uses all 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 bourbons in that bottle.

We know Bulleit Bourbon is the B mash bill, but what yeast is it? Or is it more than one? I seem to recall it is just one of them, but I don't know which.

I seem to remember the Bulleits saying their bourbon having about 28% rye, making it half B and half E. I might be wrong though.

If you had to order one bottle and only one which recipe would you choose and why?

OBSK

They're like shooting fish in a barrel as far as finding a really good one.

Roger

OESO would be my first choice but I ain't going to settle for one so I'd go with the OBSK too.

I had not had the OESK yet, thats what I was leaning towards before I asked. Looking at Party Source's bottle along with ABRAHAM BOWMAN VIRGINIA LIMITED EDITION RYE WHISKEY at 136.4 proof.

Anyone try the ABRAHAM before?

I had not had the OESK yet, thats what I was leaning towards before I asked. Looking at Party Source's bottle along with ABRAHAM BOWMAN VIRGINIA LIMITED EDITION RYE WHISKEY at 136.4 proof.

Anyone try the ABRAHAM before?

• 5 months later...

I updated the chart to include the 2011 Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition.

Letter Abbreviations

O-.................The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The mashbill.

S-.................The 3rd letter=Straight whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-..The 4th letter=The yeast strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

The Ten Recipes And Where They Have Been Used

OBSV-Single Barrel & 2008 Mariage & 2010 1B 100th Ann & 2010 SmB LE

OBSK-Small Batch & 2008 1B 120th Ann & 2009 Mariage* & 2010 SmB LE & 2011 SmB LE

OBSO-Small Batch

OBSQ-2011 1B LE

OBSF-

OESV-2011 SmB LE

OESK-Small Batch & 2008 Mariage & 2010SmB LE & 2011 SmB LE

OESO-Small Batch & 2007 1B Rutledge 40th Ann & 2009 Mariage

OESQ-2009 1B LE & 2011 SmB LE

OESF-

*=10yo and 19yo OBSK was used in the 2009 Mariage, so there was a vatting of 3 bourbons in that bottle.

Four Roses Bourbon or as commonly referred to as "Yellow Label" uses all 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 bourbons in that bottle

• 3 months later...

For Oscar and other 4R experts

In the 4R 1B, not the LE:

What does Warehouse No. "KE", and Barrel No. "8-4-K" tell me about mashbill and yeast.

And what are best Single Barrel expressions.

Thanks.

What does Warehouse No. "KE", and Barrel No. "8-4-K" tell me about mashbill and yeast.

The standard 100 proof Four Roses Single Barrel is always OBSV.

You'd have to contact Four Roses to find out any information specific to a certain warehouse/barrel. For what it's worth, the Shoppers Vineyard "Jim Rutledge selection" I just received is OBSV and it is marked Warehouse No. KE.

For Oscar and other 4R experts

And what are best Single Barrel expressions.

Thanks.

A recent deciphering of the Warehouse No. and Barrel No. was just given and posted to Parkersback (for a Barrel Strength single barrel) in another Four Roses thread. As to the best single barrel expressions, if you mean the standard 100 proof, which Tucker already relates is always OBSV, I've had a few in my day :grin: and they are all best...very little if no variation that I have noticed. The Barrel Strength single barrels will roughly match up to the descriptions of the mash bill and yeast as stated by Four Roses and best for whatever is your taste preference. There will be some variation, even for the same mash bill and yeast, depending on which retailer or buying group is doing the picking and just from the different proof level for each barrel.

Well friends, you can count this as yet one more piece of evidence that Four Roses is one of the best in the business, certainly when it comes to quality of their whiskey, but also when it comes to customer service.

So I continued to be flummoxed about the question I asked above, that is: I found a bottle of Four Roses Private Selction Single Barrel Barrel Strength at my local store, bit there was no neck tag or sticker that indicated what recipe comprises this whiskey, and the owners did not know anything about it.

Finally I wrote an email to Fur Roses asking if they knew. giving then the handwritten info on the bottle that lists the warehouse and the barrel.

Two days later I receive an email from Jim Rutledge, first thanking me for being a customer. He then tells me that he forwarded my email to the Director of Warehouse and Bottling – Corey Ballard – and that from the info I gave she was able to tell me the exact location of the barrel I was asking about. Here's a quote from the email:

Our barrel warehouses are single story rack warehouses (unique to the Bourbon industry) and each of our 20 warehouses is nearly 1 acre in size. Each warehouse is divided by a firewall and each side has 90 rack locations – 45 racks on each side of the aisle - and Barrels are racked 6 tiers high. Based on this and the hand-written information on the bottle label (BN – 22-1V) tells us the following:

BN = “B” warehouse the North side.

22 = rack number 22

1 = tier number one

V = 22nd letter in the alphabet so the barrel was stored 22 deep in the rack and tier for the entire time it was being aged

Corey was able to ascertain that your bottle was from a barrel purchased by Drink Up NY on November 10, 2010. The barrel was filled in February 2001. Using 2 mashbills and 5 proprietary yeast cultures, Four Roses uniquely distills and ages separately10 recipes of Bourbon. The product code is OBSQ - “B” indicates the mashbill: 60% corn, 35% rye and 5% malted barley, and “Q” is our yeast culture that generates a floral essence.

He finished up by thanking me again, and saying he hoped I'd be able to come visit the distillery someday.

I was already a big fan of Four Roses--their standard Single Barrel offering is great bourbon at a great price--but this kind of customer service is only going to make more likely to buy Four Roses, and to recommend it to others.

Is there more than one recipe for the standard Small Batch? OBSK, OBSO, OESK & OESO all seem to be listed above.

I've tried the standard Small Batch (purchased this year in Ontario) which I loved. I am hoping to acquire a 2011 Small Batch LE (OBSK?) over the holidays. And I would be interested in finding a OESK Small Batch LE (from 2010?) to compare if they can still be found.

Does anybody have some basic tasting notes comparing the OBSK & OESK Small Batch Limited Edition selections from 2010 & 2011?

Is there more than one recipe for the standard Small Batch? OBSK, OBSO, OESK & OESO all seem to be listed above.

I've tried the standard Small Batch (purchased this year in Ontario) which I loved. I am hoping to acquire a 2011 Small Batch LE (OBSK?) over the holidays. And I would be interested in finding a OESK Small Batch LE (from 2010?) to compare if they can still be found.

The standard small batch is a mix of OBSK, OBSO, OESK and OESO.

The Ltd Ed. Small batches are mixes too, of the recipes they're listed under in the chart.

I haven't done a head to head, but the 2011 is much more complex. My first glass out of the bottle (somebody else's bottle :grin: ) seemed to change dramatically every 20 seconds or so. Lots going on in the glass, almost too much. Leather, wood, candy, corn, spice, tropical fruit, just about every bourbon taste you could think of.

The 2011 is a big bruiser of a bourbon. Jalapeno, spicy corn chips, burn. Not complex but still very good.

The standard small batch is a mix of OBSK, OBSO, OESK and OESO.

The Ltd Ed. Small batches are mixes too, of the recipes they're listed under in the chart.

I haven't done a head to head, but the 2011 is much more complex. My first glass out of the bottle (somebody else's bottle :grin: ) seemed to change dramatically every 20 seconds or so. Lots going on in the glass, almost too much. Leather, wood, candy, corn, spice, tropical fruit, just about every bourbon taste you could think of.

The 2011 is a big bruiser of a bourbon. Jalapeno, spicy corn chips, burn. Not complex but still very good.

• 4 months later...

OBSF -- Still not yet of age or a better blender than stand alone? The descriptors sound really interesting, would love to try one.

OBSF -- Still not yet of age or a better blender than stand alone? The descriptors sound really interesting, would love to try one.

I had a Binny's OBSF, and it's my least favorite of the recipes I've had. I think it was around 125pf, quite hot, sharp with citrus rind and left unbalanced with only a wooden sweetness. I drank it as vatted with the standard Small Batch, and the vatting was much better than the sum of its parts IMO.

Thanks! I think I'll stick to my SV & SK's!

What are everyone's thoughts on the 2012 LE 1B? I find it to be quite sublime... I need more!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.