Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After much thought and contemplation, I have concluded that my favorite recipe is any of the Four Rose's recipes.
This works for me.

Make it a threesome :grin:.

• I like it 1

Picked up this FR pick in Prescott. Some of you may have heard about the Granite Mountain Hot Shots volunteer fire crew that was killed a couple of years ago battling a wildfire. A portion of the proceeds from this bottling goes to the Prescott Volunteer Fire Dept. Looking forward to tasting it, but have a couple of other bottles to kill first.

post-7099-1448982277083_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the barrel strength bottles of FRSB were offered only through private barrel selections. Yet, I noticed lately, smaller stores (that don't do private barrel selections) have these bottles on the shelves in various recipes.

Has this always been the case? or a more recent development?

Thanks

John

I always thought the barrel strength bottles of FRSB were offered only through private barrel selections. Yet, I noticed lately, smaller stores (that don't do private barrel selections) have these bottles on the shelves in various recipes.

Thanks

John

You can get the FRSB BS some places in Denmark. Not really sure which recipes. But if it's available here, it's sure to be available all over the US.

Thanks

John

Distributors will do barrel selections for their region and spread out bottles amongst various smaller stores.

Distributors will do barrel selections for their region and spread out bottles amongst various smaller stores.

Interesting. Had no idea. Thanks Flahute.

Local store owner said he sees in his computer a FRSB 122.8 proof but no recipe mentioned. He did an internet search and looks like it may be OBSF as I understand with the barrel selections, the proof is no indication of the recipe.

An OBSF would be nice. Thus far, only tried OBSV, OBSO and OBSK. OBSK being my favorite which is surprising to me as I never knew I would like a "full bodied" bourbon more.

Hopefully the price isn't outrageous.

Yep. A distributor here did something similar with the Crown Royal "hand selected barrel".

I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but is Four Roses the new age version of a Stitzel-Weller. Meaning high quality juice and a good company in general. Not flavor profile.

I have been a BT fan since I started drinking bourbon. Had a few Four Roses private select (OESK, OBSK) the other night and they were very good. What I was trying to say in the previous post was it sounds like they can put out high quality whiskey right now that taste as good or better that a lot of LE's. And you actually have a good chance of finding these around town.

Louisiana, Four Roses Bourbon is always well-made, often if not always, delicious, and certainly has more variety than anybody else. Therefor many like/love 4-R. I don't know if S/W was as well-respected during their hay-day as their now-rare juice has become. Maybe 4-R will be the next S/W in a dozen or more years. Stock Up NOW!!! Kidding! Buy what you wish to drink, now and in the near future. Hoarding isn't that good an idea.

You can e-mail Four Roses with the barrel information on the bottle and they will tell you the recipe.

If anything, I would say that Four Roses is akin to what Wild Turkey was a few decades ago when they were totally killing it. S-W made plenty of mediocre stuff.

SW was well respected as a producer but their ordinary brands were ordinary. I think Four Roses has hit more out of the park than SW ever did.

• I like it 1

Good to know. I've been doing more research on the older distilleries. It's funny how people want what they can't get, but don't realize that a product just as good or better is right in front of them. :coffeedrinker:

SW was well respected as a producer but their ordinary brands were ordinary. I think Four Roses has hit more out of the park than SW ever did.

As a guy who has never had any SW (that I can recall anyway), I'm just curious which brands are considered ordinary versus extraordinary, if you will.

As a guy who has never had any SW (that I can recall anyway), I'm just curious which brands are considered ordinary versus extraordinary, if you will.

Tough to say, depends on era. Pre mid-70's, virtually anything SW would be extraordinary. Late 70's to early 90's, I'd look for Old Fitz BIB, Weller Special Reserve or Rebel Yell 90 age stated at 6 or more years, OF 1849. OF Prime, Cabin Still, other NAS expressions would be ordinary, in my book.

Speaking as one who consumed a lot of S-W products in the early-mid 70s, yeah, the 4 year 86 proof stuff was ordinary. Bear in mind though S-W had a double line of 7 story warehouses and not every barrel on every floor would be first rate. At the time their main business was selling whisky in barrel lots which then made their way into other brands. For their own labels I don't think the wheat recipe S-W formula really came into it's own until 6 years/ 90 proof.

During the time there were others we preferred such as Ezra Brooks 7/90, Yellowstone 7/90 and a host of BIBs, but we were grad students and Cabin Still was cheaper.

• 2 months later...

My local store bought a barrel last fall and it was a BTAC killer!  Superb, smooth, nice spice.  OESF, 54.1%, 10 years 3 months.  After trying one bottle I picked up the last three.  The store owner says one other customer bought all the rest.  Later I stumbled on two other cask strength barrels at Liquor Barn, OESK and OBSO.  The latter @ 35% rye was a bit hot for my taste, haven't tried the OESK yet.  I am keeping my eyes open for these offerings.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to say, in my limited time so far in the bourbon world, Four Roses stuff is a solid.  Maybe slightly different from bottle to bottle, but relatively easy to find and something that is good enough to sub in on more "special occasions".  Was at a friend's wedding and snuck in some Four Roses Single Barrel (as there was no hard liquor) to share with people.  Quality seemed up to the occasion.

The Small Batch stuff is ridiculously good (IMO) for like $27.

4 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

I have to say, in my limited time so far in the bourbon world, Four Roses stuff is a solid.  Maybe slightly different from bottle to bottle, but relatively easy to find and something that is good enough to sub in on more "special occasions".  Was at a friend's wedding and snuck in some Four Roses Single Barrel (as there was no hard liquor) to share with people.  Quality seemed up to the occasion.

The Small Batch stuff is ridiculously good (IMO) for like $27.

Welcome to the 'cult'! ;)

• I like it 1

On 9/30/2015 at 8:36 PM, KyleCBreese said:

You can e-mail Four Roses with the barrel information on the bottle and they will tell you the recipe.

So, I can send them info off of a generic single barrel bottling and they would have the recipe info?  That's something I've been curious about as I've seen labels with the recipe but those seem to be the aforementioned private bottlings.  Most of the ones I see just have the warehouse number on the front.

The regular FRSB is all the same recipe. OBSV.

Joe

What Joe said. If it's 100 proof exactly, and only has warehouse info, and doesn't say "Private Selection" on the neck, it's always OBSV.

And welcome to the cult fenderbender4.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

What Joe said. If it's 100 proof exactly, and only has warehouse info, and doesn't say "Private Selection" on the neck, it's always OBSV.

And welcome to the cult fenderbender4.

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The regular FRSB is all the same recipe. OBSV.

Joe

Thanks for the heads up you guys!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.