Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Another couple blind pours. I knew this would be difficult, but so far is has been discouragingly hard. I have never considered myself to have a great pallet and perhaps that is why mouthfeel plays such a big role in my preferences. Here I thought the two smelled and tasted virtually identical.  Classic 4R fruits and sweetness. Struggled to get any helpful notes down. 

4d was the winner based on superior viscosity and longer finish. 

Going to take some time and read this particular thread next time I sample. 

18454B0F-479A-48DB-8810-E8D056C8A4F0.jpeg

Well, do they taste good??!?

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

Bob, are you just taking two bottles at random, or is it the high and low recipe of one particular yeast?

Two at random.  I have no idea what bottle is what.  Thinking about it now I probably would have done black cards for B recipe and red for E and maybe even lined up the years by number as well.  But as it is everything is all over the place.

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Well, do they taste good??!?

Yes!  That is the other thing I realized, there are no duds in here. Also, you astutely pointed out that 4R really tends to improve with time.  

Instead of forcing my way through these as I had planned I am slowing it down and taking more time.  Will be opening several other non 4R bottles soon and will revisit this as I feel.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, jeffrey r said:

Oh, and it is **palate, not **pallet... :) 

potato, pototo.  And yeah, that pallet is old, rickety and barely fits on my forklift anymore.  :)

• I like it 3

My recommendation / just one way to taste,

would be to do both like yeast recipes at the same time.  Observe how the rye affects the flavors. 

Then branch out from there.... slowly 

enjoy!

:)

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

potato, pototo.  And yeah, that pallet is old, rickety and barely fits on my forklift anymore.  :)

LMAO! I’m all too familiar with rickety pallets. :P

Biba! Joe

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I thought the following made sense to put here:

image.png.450403f820b909b828c43e2247918e51.png

I like this.  At the risk of getting kicked out of the cult, what is Black?  I've never even heard of this one.  Also didn't realize the recipes in Super Premium.

7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I like this.  At the risk of getting kicked out of the cult, what is Black?  I've never even heard of this one.  Also didn't realize the recipes in Super Premium.

Black is the other Japanese release. See 

9 hours ago, LCWoody said:

OESK & OESK are the two best, to me, just my opinion. 

Just so you are certain you've narrowed it down to only the TWO best, eh, LCW!  :lol:  I love it!

My two very best faves used to be OBSK & OBSK; but, I've slowly been forced to include a third recipe in the top tier: OBSK!   HA!  :D

I may add another as a close second, though; due to a particular barrel once picked by the GBS: OESO.   Man that one is just superb!  :P

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, LCWoody said:

OESK & OESK are the two best, to me, just my opinion. 

Mine as well.  I also love vatting the two of them together.

• I like it 1

Does anyone know if any OBSO or OBSK barrels are being offered in the Private Selection program at this time? These are the last two I need to try and I have heard they are hard to find.

2 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Does anyone know if any OBSO or OBSK barrels are being offered in the Private Selection program at this time? These are the last two I need to try and I have heard they are hard to find.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I sincerely hope you can find them. I'm enjoying a 2015 OBSK Jim Rutledge pick as I'm typing this that is amazing

5 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Yes. 

I did a pick about a month ago and the OBSO was our group’s 2nd place finisher. (It was my favorite). It was a really close vote. 

OBSK was also there and had literally just been put back into the program a week or so before. The current OBSKs are pretty young though. 

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes

I did a pick about a month ago and the OBSO was our group’s 2nd place finisher. (It was my favorite). It was a really close vote. 

OBSK was also there and had literally just been put back into the program a week or so before. The current OBSKs are pretty young though.

Great! Thanks for the info. I will keep looking then, hopefully I can find them sooner than later. So far OESO and OESK are my favorites so I am definitely Keen to try their B counterparts.

My very first 4RPS moment was a OBSO JR pick at the distillery giftshop, it was a Holys%#t moment and remains one of my top pours ever. Of course I bought a bottle on the spot and OBSO has been a favorite ever since. This has me craving some OBSO goodness, think I will open another up very soon.

• I like it 1

On 6/18/2019 at 6:09 PM, Soberiquet said:

Aplace not far from my in laws in Maryland received an OBSO barrel in September 2018, which they still have bottles of. I don't think they ship, but if this is helpful to you, I'd be glad to PM you more info.

I myself now have 8 of the 10. I need an OBSK and an OESF. Any leads on stores in MD or DC, or online that ships to MD, with these recipes would be appreciated. I wish I knew what we would need to do to get VA ABC to do a real Four Roses pick. They got some standard 100 proof OBSV bottles that were "selected for Virginia," but that's not quite cutting it. Those bottles did have an age statement (8 years) at least.

7 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I don't think they ship, but if this is helpful to you, I'd be glad to PM you more info.

I myself now have 8 of the 10. I need an OBSK and an OESF. Any leads on stores in MD or DC, or online that ships to MD, with these recipes would be appreciated.

I appreciate the offer, but have no plans to travel that way. Also, Indiana doesn't allow alcohol shipments, so shipping wouldn't help. Speaking of shipping, I don't bother looking at places that ship as it just makes me want things I can't get. So I don't have any leads for you, sorry.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, Jazz June said:

Aplace not far from my in laws in Maryland received an OBSO barrel in September 2018, which they still have bottles of. I don't think they ship, but if this is helpful to you, I'd be glad to PM you more info.

I myself now have 8 of the 10. I need an OBSK and an OESF. Any leads on stores in MD or DC, or online that ships to MD, with these recipes would be appreciated. I wish I knew what we would need to do to get VA ABC to do a real Four Roses pick. They got some standard 100 proof OBSV bottles that were "selected for Virginia," but that's not quite cutting it. Those bottles did have an age statement (8 years) at least.

In LA and picked up this bottle (OBSK 9yrs 9mos):

https://www.jasonsliquor.com/products/5a2a87ef66bca850e6a9f440

When I was in the store, they mentioned that they ship to NJ but not NY.  So they will ship although I didn't see any info on their website about it.  You might want to contact them and see what the story is on MD shipment.  Can't comment on the bottle because I haven't sampled it (bought as a gift).

-Mike

Edited by scratchline

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

In LA and picked up this bottle (OBSK 9yrs 9mos):

https://www.jasonsliquor.com/products/5a2a87ef66bca850e6a9f440

When I was in the store, they mentioned that they ship to NJ but not NY.  So they will ship although I didn't see any info on their website about it.  You might want to contact them and see what the story is on MD shipment.  Can't comment on the bottle because I haven't sampled it (bought as a gift).

-Mike

They don't seem to ship here, but I appreciate the help nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 10:11 AM, Jazz June said:

I thought the following made sense to put here:

image.png.450403f820b909b828c43e2247918e51.png

So all the regular, non store pick 4R SiB are OBSV? 

I'm asking because my buddy bought one from Rickhouse KE & my Rickhouse JW are 2 different flavors. The JW is floral & citrusy, while the KE is more woody. I was assuming they were different yeast strains. 

That's a cool chart. 

3 minutes ago, jwperry said:

So all the regular, non store pick 4R SiB are OBSV? 

I'm asking because my buddy bought one from Rickhouse KE & my Rickhouse JW are 2 different flavors. The JW is floral & citrusy, while the KE is more woody. I was assuming they were different yeast strains. 

That's a cool chart. 

Yes, unless something has changed recently, all the standard 100 proof SiB bottlings are OBSV. Just goes to show much aging impacts the flavor.

• I like it 1

No, nothing has changed, ALL 4RSB 100p bottles, be they “ off the rack” or a store pick are the OBSV recipe. When you get into the private select single barrel at barrel proof then all 10 recipes become available. It is expected that 2 single barrel bottles from different barrels with taste different, they could have sat next to one another and aged exactly the same amount of time yet be light years apart in profile, that's the single barrel experience.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.