Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/15/2019 at 7:11 AM, Jazz June said:

I thought the following made sense to put here:

image.png.450403f820b909b828c43e2247918e51.png

Super helpful thanks!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I completed my collection of the 10 recipes a year or so ago, and have multiples of many recipes as well as some of the same recipes from different store picks. However, I never posted a picture of all 10 recipes, so I’m correcting that today...obviously Lincoln Road Package Store was very instrumental in helping me obtain many of the recipes.
IMG_6601.JPG

• I like it 6

Well, that picture certainly didn’t upload very clear, so I’m trying again. Edit: Not much better...upload quality is obviously much lower resolution.

IMG_6601.JPG.301b12c8ad3b47c9a76bee8f9a40ea27.JPG

I hope that covers all of the special releases (and is correct - info pulled from the web, I'm not fortunate enough to own all of these bottles). Please feel free to tell me if any are missing. Included are:

LE SiB 2007-2014, 2016

Marriage 2008-2009

LE SmB 2010-2019

Al Young 50th - 2017

Nearing the end of all my 4 Roses bottles.  Had the recipes covered by a playing card on all 10 bottles for the entire time.  Did 4 rounds of head to head tastings and then went through everything again with a B and an E example and took a stab in the dark at which recipe it was.  Results were as expected, I have no idea blind!  Got Zero recipes correct and only 2/10 on the right mashbill.  Although I am interpreting that as indicating that I did taste a difference in recipes but what I thought tasted like high rye was obviously not.  

OESV was the winner with OBSK second.  OBSV/OESF/OBSQ/OESQ all went 2-2

This past weekend a couple of friends took samples of the same bottles blind and ranked their top 2  in a tie OBSV and OBSK.  Third was OBSO and 4th OESK which both were in my bottom 4.  

Interesting, frustrating, but informative.  I have one more set of blind samples that I will revisit in a year or so.

Next up, WT in particular RRSiB samples!

• I like it 1

Nearing the end of all my 4 Roses bottles.  Had the recipes covered by a playing card on all 10 bottles for the entire time.  Did 4 rounds of head to head tastings and then went through everything again with a B and an E example and took a stab in the dark at which recipe it was.  Results were as expected, I have no idea blind!  Got Zero recipes correct and only 2/10 on the right mashbill.  Although I am interpreting that as indicating that I did taste a difference in recipes but what I thought tasted like high rye was obviously not.  

This past weekend a couple of friends took samples of the same bottles blind and ranked their top 2  in a tie OBSV and OBSK.  Third was OBSO and 4th OESK which both were in my bottom 4.  

Interesting, frustrating, but informative.  I have one more set of blind samples that I will revisit in a year or so.

I can relate to all of that. It’s very hard picking out the individual recipes, and it can still be a big surprise when what you thought was an E mashbill turns out to be a B mashbill...and vice versa.
  • I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This is just part of the reason why I believe bowing to the Blind Tastings god as the Be-All/End-All is purely the folly of fools, and possibly the most over rated narrative promoted in Bourbonia, today.  

This is just part of the reason why I believe bowing to the Blind Tastings god as the Be-All/End-All is purely the folly of fools, and possibly the most over rated narrative promoted in Bourbonia, today.  

Me thinks someone is in a bad mood because the Cardinals are laying it on the Braves at this moment! [emoji6][emoji3]

8 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Me thinks someone is in a bad mood because the Cardinals are laying it on the Braves at this moment! emoji6.pngemoji3.png

Ha!  Well, that score certainly aint got me whistling Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah right now, but my opinion expressed is sincere and consistent...

Regardless, I am sure as f@$! glad this is one night we decided not to go to the park... :D

• I like it 2

Ha!  Well, that score certainly aint got me whistling Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah right now, but my opinion expressed is sincere and consistent...

Regardless, I am sure as f@$! glad this is one night we decided not to go to the park... [emoji3]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

OBSK always wins

• I like it 1

On 10/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

My experience is that the only knowledge that is Be-All/End-All as that there isn't anything that is Be-All/End-All. That said, blind tasting remains a very useful tool in the box for me as well as for the unwashed masses who think certain labels are the Be-All/End-All. 

So maybe more of a Blind Tastings demigod... ?

• I like it 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

I was wondering if you would expand on this. What are your criticisms of blind tasting? If you are saying that extrapolating absolutes from a single blind tasting is silly, then I think everyone would agree. But maybe you have a more expansive issue with them?

As an example, and while I have not yet tried it myself, I have read (here or elsewhere, don't remember) that few to none can consistently and accurately identify wheated versus rye bourbons in a blind tasting. To me, this calls into question some of the things we attribute to the mash bill. If you can't actually identify which of the two flavoring grains was used, shouldn't you be questioning the traditional wisdom about what a wheater tastes like versus, say, a high rye bourbon? I wouldn't see that as bowing to blind tasting over a more valid form of investigation.

• 1 month later...

I live in the Atlanta area and am up to 8 of 10 recipes, only looking for OESK and OESO. The last few stores I have been to have all said that the barrels outside of the standard OBSV are hard to come by now but I have also noticed that regular FRSB is hard to find. It used to be on the shelves everywhere for about $35-40. Has anyone heard any rumors of the barrel picks and single barrels outside of the OBSV going away? With the new Small Batch Select priced higher, I wonder for how long the FRSB can stay at nearly half the price.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, dboland said:

I live in the Atlanta area and am up to 8 of 10 recipes, only looking for OESK and OESO. The last few stores I have been to have all said that the barrels outside of the standard OBSV are hard to come by now but I have also noticed that regular FRSB is hard to find. It used to be on the shelves everywhere for about $35-40. Has anyone heard any rumors of the barrel picks and single barrels outside of the OBSV going away? With the new Small Batch Select priced higher, I wonder for how long the FRSB can stay at nearly half the price.

I am in Atlanta as well and I have heard no indication of that. Last pick I did in May of this year was in fact an OESK (it is all gone now of course). But there were at least 6 or 7 recipes that were available among the 8 barrels pulled. Every now and again a particular recipe is not available because mature stock is low but there have always been options in addition to OBSV for barrel proof store picks.

If you do a 100 proof store pick that is of course always OBSV.

Haven't noticed that the regular OBSV single barrel is particularly hard to find either but then again I haven't looked for one in a while.

29 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am in Atlanta as well and I have heard no indication of that. Last pick I did in May of this year was in fact an OESK (it is all gone now of course). But there were at least 6 or 7 recipes that were available among the 8 barrels pulled. Every now and again a particular recipe is not available because mature stock is low but there have always been options in addition to OBSV for barrel proof store picks.

If you do a 100 proof store pick that is of course always OBSV.

Haven't noticed that the regular OBSV single barrel is particularly hard to find either but then again I haven't looked for one in a while.

Great to hear. It may just be low stock for the holidays then. Total Wine's $50 store pick OBSV was all I could find and it didn't make sense at that price.

If you do a pick next, year, I will definitely grab a bottle.

8 minutes ago, dboland said:

Great to hear. It may just be low stock for the holidays then. Total Wine's $50 store pick OBSV was all I could find and it didn't make sense at that price.

If you do a pick next, year, I will definitely grab a bottle.

If they give us a slot then we will definitely have at least one pick at some point. I think they will considering we have been going every time they offer us one for years but these days you just never know!

No guarantee what recipe it will! We pick the one we like out of what is offered without being influenced by recipe (or age for that matter).

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 3

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

No guarantee what recipe it will! We pick the one we like out of what is offered without being influenced by recipe (or age for that matter).

We do the same. In the past we always had them cover up the barrel heads so we could do it blind and not be influenced like you indicated.

When we went in this past Spring for our latest pick they had all the barrels turned around so you couldn't see. We asked if they did that just for us because they know our preferences and if I recall correctly, they said they do it as standard policy now. If you get a pick, let me know if that's the case or if my memory sucks.

Our pick in September was from 8 of the 10 recipes, and it was totally blind. Al definitely had his poker face on during the pick. The only thing he would tell us was there was no O yeast, and he gave us the age range of the barrels. After we tossed out a barrel from the pick contention, he would give us the information on the barrel, but not until we firmly stated that it was no longer a contender. My understanding is that all cask strength picks can only be made in person at Cox Creek these days, and the annual limit for cask strength barrels is around 600 barrels. There are obviously more picks available if you only want the 100 proof OBSV selection. As far as the standard on the shelf OBSV single barrel availability goes, I am not aware of any availability issues.

• I like it 2

On 12/27/2019 at 4:46 PM, flahute said:

We do the same. In the past we always had them cover up the barrel heads so we could do it blind and not be influenced like you indicated.

When we went in this past Spring for our latest pick they had all the barrels turned around so you couldn't see. We asked if they did that just for us because they know our preferences and if I recall correctly, they said they do it as standard policy now. If you get a pick, let me know if that's the case or if my memory sucks.

Will do. But they know we don't want to know as well.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Joe - I would say I disagree with you, but I’d like to hear more of your thoughts.

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, 0895 said:

2014-2019 lineup tonight for tasting.  Been wanting to do this for awhile.

F51E838A-0F68-49C7-9526-9D561811678E.jpeg

Good for you, 0895!    Some fine Bourbon in those bottles.    I never was able to get a '19; but I have (or have had) the other years going back to '10 or '11.    Besides the 125th and 130th, (and maybe even including them?) I liked the '13 the best, I think.    I'm sure you enjoyed 'em all; but, if you had to choose just one....?

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

but, if you had to choose just one....?

the 2013 bottle that I’ve never owned of course! ?
My memories of my tasting of it are fond.... and I don’t remember much from that night. ?

All of these are pretty good 

My rankings tonight are:

1.  2015 (love you, Jim)

2.  2018 (love you too, Brent)

3.  2019 (just damn good 4R)

4.  2016 (good oaky, but slightly bitter and awkward next to it’s friends)

5.  2014 (a bit too oak heavy and one dimensional for me)

6.  2017 (I still don’t care much for the raspberries mixed with dirt flavor in this release.  And before anyone gives me crap about that bottle having the lowest liquid level in it, it’s because I’ve been sharing it with friends, etc, to move it along closer to empty).

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.