Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, 0895 said:

the 2013 bottle that I’ve never owned of course! ?
My memories of my tasting of it are fond.... and I don’t remember much from that night. ?

All of these are pretty good 

My rankings tonight are:

1.  2015 (love you, Jim)

2.  2018 (love you too, Brent)

3.  2019 (just damn good 4R)

4.  2016 (good oaky, but slightly bitter and awkward next to it’s friends)

5.  2014 (a bit too oak heavy and one dimensional for me)

6.  2017 (I still don’t care much for the raspberries mixed with dirt flavor in this release.  And before anyone gives me crap about that bottle having the lowest liquid level in it, it’s because I’ve been sharing it with friends, etc, to move it along closer to empty).

Awesome lineup, and I do sincerely mean awesome.  But for me the Al Young 50th beats all of those.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

How does the Four Roses community think about OBSK? I know it’s well regarded. But I haven’t had this particular recipe. I’m eyeing a store pick barrel proof at 120 proof. 8 years 8 months in the barrel. $90.  It’s at the higher end of alcohol content that I enjoy. Normally I would buy without much thought but I’m not sure I trust the people doing the selecting. 

4 hours ago, MM818 said:

How does the Four Roses community think about OBSK? I know it’s well regarded. But I haven’t had this particular recipe. I’m eyeing a store pick barrel proof at 120 proof. 8 years 8 months in the barrel. $90.  It’s at the higher end of alcohol content that I enjoy. Normally I would buy without much thought but I’m not sure I trust the people doing the selecting. 

That last part is paramount!      Have you tasted anything they've chosen?   Did 'they' actually choose this barrel, or was it decided for 'em by the distiller, or distributor (this happens)?

The folx who actually decide what (or if any) barrel will be selected make ALL the difference.   I've tasted several OBSK's that were bold, spicy, moderately sweet, and very tasty, with lovely noses, excellent finishes, etc.    However, I have also taste a couple that were only OK... and one that was definitely subpar, and that one was about the same age as the one proposed by your query (though that is coincidental, not indicative, because some of the best were around this age with one even younger; and a couple were older... one of 'em about 3-years older).

So, my advice?   Get a taste or two before deciding about laying down nearly a 'hundo' for a bottle of Bourbon.   (These were around $60 not all that long ago.)

Good luck!   4-R pix can be lovely; but fewer have been in the last couple years than several years ago.

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, steven s said:

has anyone combined equal small amounts of all 10 recipes, and if so, what were the results like?

It's called barrel proof Yellow Label. I've never done it myself but I know some who have.

Some friends of mine collected almost 200 bottles of all 10 and poured them into a barrel from Four Roses that had just been dumped and was still wet.

They aged it in a garage for something like 8 months and them dumped it back into the bottles. It's pretty darn good.

• I like it 7

Could suck, could be great. But since you don’t have the volume available to experiment why waste it on an experiment  that could end up worse than the individual parts?

Maybe play with blending a couple different recipes but as hard as they are to get these days I am inclined to take my chance with the way it comes out of the bottle!

• I like it 2

This is just hearsay.  I recall from people that have taken the tour - some of the barrels (maybe one or a couple) that get dumped into the FRYL batch are really old, as in over oaked.

I would be a customer for the FRYL at a higher proof and NCF for sure.

I was part of a private pick at 4R’s a few years ago. This happened at one of our spring get togethers in Bardstown. Back then, FR’s pulled one barrel of each recipe to taste. Water bottles were provided for each of us involved in the pick. When the tasting was over,  I poured the remnants from my ten glasses into my then empty water bottle. I shared my “water” bottle at the GN that evening. No one complained. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, steven s said:

has anyone combined equal small amounts of all 10 recipes, and if so, what were the results like?

I've made a batch of what I titled Joe's Four-ty Roses.  It was supposed to be about 3 oz of each recipe.  If I got the pours right it would have been 113 proof and aged 8 years (an 8 year OBSK was the youngest component).  It's been a long time since I had it, but my thoughts were that it was very good, but not as good as a few of the standout components that were in it.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

This is just hearsay.  I recall from people that have taken the tour - some of the barrels (maybe one or a couple) that get dumped into the FRYL batch are really old, as in over oaked.

Absolutely. Make it 100 proof, NCF, and slap a $45 price tag on. I guarantee it would be a hit. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

This absolutely happens and has been confirmed by both Jim Rutledge and Brent Elliot.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, steven s said:

I do have a 4R infinity bottle going.  At first it started with just over an ounce of each of the 10 recipes, plus every LE bottle that I had open.

I have slowly been adding samples from every Four Roses bottle I ever open, so it has evolved into something else now.  It's damn good.

Anyway, the best way to describe it for you is a massive flavor explosion.  There is so much going on when you combine all those that it becomes very hard to describe.

The last 4R barrel pick I was along for, one of our blind choices ended up being a older aged (14y?? I can't remember) OBSO.  It was the first barrel we all (4R employees included) instantaneously eliminated from the 8 choices.  It was not very good at all.

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.