Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Long-time Four Roses Bourbon Master Distiller Jim Rutledge to Retire

Operations Director Brent Elliott to Transition to New Role

LAWRENCEBURG, Ky. (July 1, 2015) – Four Roses Distillery’s CEO and President, Satoko Yoshida, announced today the retirement of long-time Master Distiller Jim Rutledge – effective September 1, 2015.

Jim is in his 49th year working in the Bourbon business with Seagram and Four Roses, and he has been Master Distiller at Four Roses for more than 20 years. His passion, enthusiasm and loyalty for Four Roses Bourbons and the distillery employees and staff were instrumental in returning Four Roses Bourbon to the USA after spending more than 40 years in European and Japanese markets only.

In 2001, Rutledge was inducted into the inaugural class of the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame. He was given a “Lifetime Achievement Award” by Malt Advocate Magazine in 2007, and in 2008 Whisky Magazine named him “Whisky Ambassador of the Year – American Whiskies.” In 2012, Whisky Magazine also named Jim to its Icons of Whisky Hall of Fame, for global whiskies. He was the 2nd American inducted into this elite group of whisky makers.

When asked about retirement and what may lie ahead, Rutledge stated that his passion for the Bourbon industry, and especially Four Roses, will never diminish, and he went on to say he plans to stay involved in the industry he loves in so much – perhaps including various roles as Four Roses’ Master Distiller Emeritus.

Four Roses is the only Kentucky Bourbon Distillery to use 5 proprietary yeast strains in combination with 2 mashbills to distill and age in new white oak barrels 10 unique Bourbon recipes. Rutledge went on to say that nothing will change with his retirement, and Four Roses will continue producing the 10 Bourbons with the same loving care to ensure the continuance of the very mellow and smooth Bourbons as its consumers have become accustomed to finding with all its Bourbon renderings.

Rutledge announced, with his usual passion and enthusiasm, that Brent Elliott will replace him as Master Distiller. He went on to say: “With Brent’s knowledge of the Bourbon industry, the distillery process, and his passion for all facets of Four Roses Distillery operations, I have every confidence the growth of Four Roses Bourbons will continue under Brent’s leadership.”

Ms. Yoshida stated that she and the entire Four Roses team of employees wish to sincerely thank Jim for his many years of passion for the Bourbon he made for so many years and also the dedication and loyalty he exhibited throughout his career for the employees of Four Roses. “He will be missed as the ‘face of Four Roses Bourbon,’ but we now wish him much happiness and success in his retirement years. I am also excited to have the opportunity to work with Brent in his new capacity as Master Distiller.”

Knew it would come this Fall. I was hoping Mr. Rutledge (he'll hate that.. hee-hee) would still be ensconced at the 4-R Distillery during the KBF; but I guess that's now an iffy proposition. To say Jim has EARNED his leisure would be an understatement.

He certainly deserves the chance to enjoy his time with more freedom to spend his days as he sees fit. I know we'll all miss his congeniality and vast knowledge of the industry and especially the history of Four Roses.

I for one will take this opportunity to wish him all the best for many happy, healthy years to come. Cheers, Jim! :toast:

They mentioned he was thinking about it when I was there over Memorial Day, but said he's got some great people to follow him. Can't think of someone who's done more for the industry by taking a producer of bottom tier rot gut and turning into one of the most innovative and respected distilleries in the business.

Congrats to Mr. Rutledge and best wishes on his retirement (and helping more and more new folks reach and hopefully surpass his own talents!

Hmm, Four Roses is beyond a mere cult favorite around here (we like it far, far more than that!). While it may not be possible to get everyone to sign it, will StraightBourbon.com be sending him a happy retirement card? He's given us, collectively and individually, so many good things it would be pretty cool.

Edited by Ravensfire

They mentioned he was thinking about it when I was there over Memorial Day, but said he's got some great people to follow him. Can't think of someone who's done more for the industry by taking a producer of bottom tier rot gut and turning into one of the most innovative and respected distilleries in the business.

Congrats to Mr. Rutledge and best wishes on his retirement (and helping more and more new folks reach and hopefully surpass his own talents!

Hmm, Four Roses is beyond a mere cult favorite around here (we like it far, far more than that!). While it may not be possible to get everyone to sign it, will StraightBourbon.com be sending him a happy retirement card? He's given us, collectively and individually, so many good things it would be pretty cool.

Thank You Oscar V. I appreciate your concise chart. I'll be better prepared when I tour 4R. Any suggestions for the distillery tour/gift shop?

Thank You. L.W.

• 4 weeks later...

@Bourbontruth: Four Roses private selection program now limited to 50 per month after about 1,000 barrels in '14. The program is booked through 02/16.

Cant say I am surprised at that pace something had to give and there has to be some limit so they can maintain the quality.

@Bourbontruth: Four Roses private selection program now limited to 50 per month after about 1,000 barrels in '14. The program is booked through 02/16.

I heard this from my local shop yesterday. They have two barrels that are set to deliver in a few weeks though. I am going to stock up on those. OBSK and OESK

50 x 12 = 600 per year compared to 1000? so 40% decrease. That's a decent chunk of whiskey. Figures, just as I was starting to get into these barrels...

I read this elsewhere as well. Makes sense given that they want to protect supply. This justifies my decisions over the past year to stock up on any and all PS bottles I find.

• 4 weeks later...

How does OBSO rate in general among the ten? I have never had a store pick and a chain in IN that I am on the mailing list for will have a barrel from Whse C at the end of September. He didn't have a price yet but I am trying to decide if a 4 or 5 hour round trip will be worth it since I have never found a PS 4R barrel proof locally.

How does OBSO rate in general among the ten? I have never had a store pick and a chain in IN that I am on the mailing list for will have a barrel from Whse C at the end of September. He didn't have a price yet but I am trying to decide if a 4 or 5 hour round trip will be worth it since I have never found a PS 4R barrel proof locally.

A little over a year ago we had a Four Roses PS favorites poll.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=137&do=showresults

But there is such variation between bottles of the same recipe (based on age, proof, warehouse location, and preferences of the selector) that your preference will depend on your tastes rather than someone else's. In general people are very happy with almost any bottle.

At times, Tippins Market in your area has Four Roses barrel picks. Call to see if they have any now. Let us know what you buy and your take on it.

TY, they are on my list of stores to try but I don't get out that way often. I will do some research and might have to consider a trip even if they don't have a private 4R. According to their site they have a OBSK, will have to call and make sure they have some in stock and check the price.

Tippins is a nice store, but in my opinion they were overpriced the time I went. I didn't see anything I wanted that I couldn't get for $10 less elsewhere.

OBSK seems to be a perennial favorite, but as mentioned above, they're all good. I have or have had 9 of the 10 recipes and they have all been fantastic.

I agree that in general you won't be disappointed with any recipe. However, my least favorite recipes have been the "o" recipes. I believe I might be in a minority in this respect. I have tried two different OBSO bottles, one in a sampling and one as a bottle that I had. I found both to have an odd medicinal flavor. I ended up blending the bottle with a FRSmB and still found it medicinal and too sweet. I have only tried OESO once, at a sampling, and found it to have a high alcohol overtone. I doubt I will ever buy an "O" recipe again. However, I find the other 8 recipes to be pretty solid. My experience could be based on those particular barrels or it could be something about the "O" recipe that I don't like. I know others who find the "O" recipe to be among their favorites. My preference is for the "K" and "V" recipes.

Thanks for all the feedback. Tippins is out of OBSK but said they should have some more PS before the end of the year. I am not a fan of the medicinal hinted bourbons so I will probably pass on a trip out of state for one.

Just to further confuse you, I had an OBSO once that was one of my favorite bourbons I've ever had.

Just to further confuse you, I had an OBSO once that was one of my favorite bourbons I've ever had.

As did I and I thankfully have another bottle of the exact same vintage. Plums, raspberries, lots more fruit that I would have expected from the lower rye OESO prior to tasting but having had several OBSO and OESO they have a very different profiles with the OB version displaying more fantastic sweet fruit flavor though both are delicious. I would easily drive 4hrs for a solid OBSO pick,and have, and will again!! :cool: The OBSO that first blew me away was a GS bottle 10 yr/8mo 108.2p.

My current OBSO on-hand is 11 years old and 116.4 proof, and very good. OBSO is an interesting recipe--it's not my favorite for sure, but it's still an outstanding bourbon.

Here's the latest

Letter Abbreviations

O-...............The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-...............The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-...The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

How the 10 recipes have been used

Four Roses Bourbon aka Yellow Label-All 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 recipes.

Single Barrel-OBSV

2007 1B LE-OESO

2008 1B LE-OBSK

2009 1B LE-OESQ

2010 1B LE-OBSV

2011 1B LE-OBSQ

2012 1B LE-OESK

2013 1B LE-OBSK

2014 1B LE-OESF

2015 1B LE- R.I.P.

Small Batch-OBSK,OBSO, OESK, OESO

2008 Mariage-OBSV 13yo 5months, OESK 10yo 10months

2009 Mariage-OBSK 19yo & 10yo, OESO 10yo

2010 SmB LE-OBSV 15yo, OBSK 11yo, OESK 10yo

2011 SmB LE-OBSK 13yo, OESK 11yo, OESV 12yo, OESQ13yo

2012 SmB LE-OBSV 17yo & 11yo, OBSK 12yo, OESK 12yo

2013 SmB LE-OBSV 18yo, OBSK 13yo, OESK 13yo

2014 SmB LE-OBSK 9yo, OBSV 13yo, OESV 12yo, OBSF 11yo

2015 SmB LE-OBSK 16yo, OESK 15yo, OESK 14yo, OBSV 11yo

Super Premium aka Platinum-OBSV, OESK

Fine Old Bourbon aka Black Label-OBSK, OESK

After much thought and contemplation, I have concluded that my favorite recipe is any of the Four Rose's recipes.

Here's the latest

2015 1B LE- R.I.P.

Hmmm...that's a little unusual, not the letters I'm used to seeing. I'll guess "Reposited in Pine"? Amiright? ;)

After much thought and contemplation, I have concluded that my favorite recipe is any of the Four Rose's recipes.

This works for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.