Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

V yeast has been hitting for me lately. 

This 9yr 3 month in particular has been great. 

A1C25B08-6DFE-464B-A035-1A9FDA9CFDD4.jpeg

High or low rye?

I also tend to very much enjoy the V yeast bottles.

16 minutes ago, 0895 said:

High or low rye?

I also tend to very much enjoy the V yeast bottles.

D’oh!

My bad for not providing all pertinent info. 

I have been switching back and forth between OESV and OBSV lately. 

The one pictured OESV. I think I ordered that one from a place in NJ that ships to SC. 

I’ve been contemplating blogging (scary i know) and have been taking more notes on my four roses and rrsib stuff. This thread has been a great help comparing what I get to others on here. 

In Barrel Strength I've had OESK 117.4 9y,9m, OBSF 114 8y8m, OBSV 103.6 11y and OESV 106.6 9y11m. So far the 2 E mash bill selections have been my favorite with the V yeast winning slightly. The OBSF was my least favorite. The journey continues.

Working on my OESQ and this is by far the most interesting recipe I've had... with the exception of K yeast but that was a SB LE. Now really looking forward to find a store pick OESK.

15271183704235483998740799221698.jpg

On 5/23/2018 at 6:33 PM, Kane said:

Working on my OESQ and this is by far the most interesting recipe I've had... with the exception of K yeast but that was a SB LE. Now really looking forward to find a store pick OESK.

15271183704235483998740799221698.jpg

The dates are hard to read but I'm having a hard time coming up with 9 years and 6 mos.

16 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The dates are hard to read but I'm having a hard time coming up with 9 years and 6 mos.

Hared to believe they would tank a single barrel. 

On 5/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, 0895 said:

Last night I pulled out all 10 4R recipes and "tasted the rainbow" with a few friends.

Although a bit overwhelming for the taste buds, I had a great time, and thoroughly enjoyed listening to what everyone was experiencing.

My takeaway is that 4R is just really darn good bourbon in any of its forms.

:)

The actual roses were a nice touch. Overall I preferred the E mashbill for the softer feel and less spice. However OBSQ was probably my favorite especially after some water. OESV was a close runner up and in the lead until adding a bit of water to the Q. The Os were my least favorite of the bunch with my notes on the the OESO describing it as "soft dirt". The F yeast bottles were distinctly minty.  OESF could have passed for Old Fitz BIB. The K bottles were the least unique or distinctive. They were just...bourbon...without anything that really made them stand out. Still good bourbon. The only ones I'd say I didnt actually like were the Os.

By the second pass thru the recipes though things were a bit hazy as to what I liked.

20180519_205325-1612x1209.jpg

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

Right. I come across such "print errors" so frequently with store picks these days. I don't know whether the store staff's word can be trusted either.

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Right. I come across such "print errors" so frequently with store picks these days. I don't know whether the store staff's word can be trusted either.

Do they have the barrel in the store? The distillation and barreling dates are on the barrel head.

9 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Do they have the barrel in the store? The distillation and barreling dates are on the barrel head.

There is always the email to 4R method. With the barrel info on the front tag they will clear it up for you, what better source for info than the source?

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

There is always the email to 4R method. With the barrel info on the front tag they will clear it up for you, what better source for info than the source?

That'd ruin the scavenger hunt!

But yes, 4R is generally very good about providing such information upon request.

A felliw enthusiast shared a local store OBSF pick. The F recipes are a favorite of mine and when presented with this sample I didn’t yet know the recipe. It was 120+ and 8 yrs and a couple months. I guessed it was Q, it was hot and there was a note in the finish that was just off to my taste and didn’t agree with me. I would not have voted for that barrel in a tasting, it wasn’t terrible but definitely not single barrel worthy IMO. Once I found out the recipe I couldn’t help but wonder what a couple more years might have done ( none of the bottles I have are sub 10). I am not particularly hung up on age, BIBs being a staple for me,  it could just be a barrel I would have passed over  period. I haven’t bought a 4RPS outside of a store I know and trust for years. Given the youth I see on store shelves and tasting this latest sample I will stick to GS or sample first stores. There was a time when a 4R PS was a safe bet, those days may be past. Plenty of great 4R out there just see if you can get a taste before dropping 60.00 on a roll of the dice. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

What are the hardest to come by recipes right now? I'll be visiting a 10 recipe store soon (at least it was last summer) while out of town and if there are one or two recipes that are unlikely to make their way to a store closer to me, I may prioritize those recipes.

As someone mentioned up thread, if I lived near a 10 recipe store, I would be significantly poorer.

Anything with K?

I actually had a harder time finding the Q yeast recipes.

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

What are the hardest to come by recipes right now? I'll be visiting a 10 recipe store soon (at least it was last summer) while out of town and if there are one or two recipes that are unlikely to make their way to a store closer to me, I may prioritize those recipes.

As someone mentioned up thread, if I lived near a 10 recipe store, I would be significantly poorer.

I think the O's and K's have generally been tougher to find recently.  Although I would also say that ones with a 10 year + age statement have been tougher to find too as a lot of the recent picks have been 8-9 years.

It's been a long time since I've been to a store with a large selection of Four Roses.  Good luck and I'm curious to see what you come back with.

9 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I think it was Nietzsche who said: “A man is judged not by the size of his wallet, nor his bunker; though, the booze helps one to cope with the poverty...”

No wait, that was Otis from Mayberry...

Yes, count your blessings...

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I think it was Nietzsche who said: “A man is judged not by the size of his wallet, nor his bunker; though, the booze helps one to cope with the poverty...”

No wait, that was Otis from Mayberry...

Yes, count your blessings...

You, sir a wise and cogent sage, my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the Four Roses private selection program really has tightened up; the store was down to 5 recipes, including only one B mash bill. My friend and I got the last two bottles of an OBSQ and I also picked up an OESO. On the plus side they were ten and half years and close to ten years or so old. I'm looking forward to doing some blind tasting of various Four Roses products, now that I have a number to choose from.

After talking whiskey with one of the employees for a while, he pulled their last OWA bottle from under the counter. I have plenty for now, but it became my friend's first OWA purchase.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I found OESF today in at Whitlock Package in Marietta, Georgia.  They had other at least two other recipes available as well. 

• 1 month later...

Started today and all I can say is this is going to be incredibly hard for me. Right out the gate they both smelled similarly fruity and sweet just as one would expect from 4R

7h was more in your face, drank hotter and maybe had some mint to it. Not a flavor I came up with on my own, but after looking at the recipe descriptions. Shorter finish.

7c had deeper fruit flavors and a superior mouthfeel. The finish was long and satisfying. 7c was the resounding winner tonight. 

Both pours improved over in the glass over time. And the last sip was the best sip.

314FED5E-D980-4E06-B56C-F1DD04B4BA0C.jpeg

• I like it 1

Another couple blind pours. I knew this would be difficult, but so far is has been discouragingly hard. I have never considered myself to have a great pallet and perhaps that is why mouthfeel plays such a big role in my preferences. Here I thought the two smelled and tasted virtually identical.  Classic 4R fruits and sweetness. Struggled to get any helpful notes down. 

4d was the winner based on superior viscosity and longer finish. 

Going to take some time and read this particular thread next time I sample. 

18454B0F-479A-48DB-8810-E8D056C8A4F0.jpeg

On 12/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Another couple blind pours. I knew this would be difficult, but so far is has been discouragingly hard. I have never considered myself to have a great pallet and perhaps that is why mouthfeel plays such a big role in my preferences. Here I thought the two smelled and tasted virtually identical.  Classic 4R fruits and sweetness. Struggled to get any helpful notes down. 

4d was the winner based on superior viscosity and longer finish. 

Going to take some time and read this particular thread next time I sample. 

Sure, this is going to be difficult.  Blind tastings are not easy.  But don't beat yourself up over it.  It sounds like you came up with a winner amongst these two.  At the end of the day, notes are just notes.  But notes be damned, you like what you like, and that's more important in my view than whether you can discern tasting notes.  Good luck, and looking forward to your reveals.  Oh, and it is **palate, not **pallet... :) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.