The little-told story of how the U.S. government poisoned alcohol during Prohibition

craigthom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This article isn't really about bourbon, but I think it fits better here than any of the categories in the non-bourbon group.

This Slate article discusses how 10,000 died during Prohibition because the U.S. started poisoning industrial alcohol.

I actually read about this in the book "Moonshine!" by Matthew Rowley. I didn't really know if it was true or not. Thanks for posting this article, I find it fascinating.

Sure 10,000 people died but that article didn't say how many lives, families and homes were saved when people heard about the poison liquor and then abstained.:rolleyes:

But that's the liberal media for ya.:grin:

Sickening but not surprising. Don't trust the government, ever.

.....But that's the liberal media for ya.:grin:

My grandfather, who is still alive at age 95, used to talk about how dangerous it was to buy alcohol from any source except your own local clandestine master distiller. Everybody knew where he lived so quality control was akin to survival.

The mob cut Canadian whisky with all kinds of chemicals that help hasten a many good citizen's demise. No doubt the government was interested in drying up as many non-traditional sources of drinkable alcohol as possible and saw drinkers as law breakers about to reap their just rewards.

That whole period in American history is a fine example of knee jerk reaction to a social problem resulting in horrific unintended consequences worse than the original problem the solution was supposed to remedy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.