Will whiskey cocktails rule in 2003?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

According to Matthew McGuire, writing recently in the Chicago Tribune, whiskey cocktails will be the hot drink trend of 2003. He writes, "'Just like women were smoking cigars several years ago, a lot of women are starting to join men in drinking bourbons and scotches,' says Dominic O'Mahony, co-owner of Garrett Ripley's. O'Mahony is quick to note, however, that cigar smoking is so very, very passe."

What do you think?

I actually ordered a Manhattan cocktail in a restaurant, last week. I asked them to make it with Wild Turkey 101. The idiots gave me my cocktail made with Gentleman Jack and gave me a WT101 and water. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I drank the cocktail and sent the WT back and refused to pay for it. The Manhattan was pretty good.

Tim

Whisky rules! I like that not too sure I want the demand and prices to go up and supply to go down.

Chuck,

I read that blurb and was startled to see mint julep listed as making a comeback. I drink one at Derby time, but consider it an insult to bourbon (and the mint). Tell me the last time you heard someone say "Gimme another mint julep" and it wasn't at Churchill Downs? Do you think we''ll see Juleps on the "Umbrella Drink" menu at lounges soon?

A well-made mint julep is a tasty drink, but I never find myself hankering for one other than on the first Saturday in May. Because you need fresh mint to make it properly, I can't see it ever becoming a bar "standard." On the other hand, it's a drink everyone has heard of, even if they haven't tried it. A bar could certainly use that fact to sell them, and maybe get some mileage out of it.

Leslie loves bourbon sours. 2 parts sours and 1 part bourbon. Add a little cherry juice and there you are. Not too impressive really, but it keeps her drinking bourbon. I need to put a lock on the liquor cabinet though, I think she has made a couple with my Kentucky Spirit mad.gif

Fresh mint is required for a well made mojito, and those are one of the current 'hot' cocktails, hence, more fresh mint behind the bar of good establishments. When/if I see fresh mint, I'm a lot more interested in a mint julep than if I spot a honkin' big bottle of "Colonel Fatlip's Old Fashioned Julep Mix".

Speaking of mixes, what exactly is in a bottle of Maker's Mark Mint Julep? Is it mint flavored Maker's Mark?

Pretty much... They basically add mint flavored simple syrup to regular makers... the proof is lower too, I think around 66 proof...

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's right Kyle. I'm glad I've calmed down enough to be considered passe. I wonder if all the smokers over at CigarWeekly know they're passe? confused.gif

I think I'll go tell them all they have to give up their fine cigars, as they're passe...they can send them all to me for proper disposal...yeah, that's the ticket, send 'em to me, I'll dispose of them, and save them from social embarassment....

Every trend washes over a community that was engaging in the suddenly "trendy" practice before it caught on, and who will still be there when the wave has passed. It's a burden we people who think for ourselves have to bear.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.