What bourbon junk did you get today?

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been an an email distribution list for Detroit-area estate sales for a year or so now. It's pretty slow in the chillier months, so I don't always make it out to them. But I'm glad I made it to this one. I managed to drag a friend who was playing hooky from work along with me, too.

The guy who owned the place (we think his name was Eben Fridenburg) was some sort of liquor-industy PR guy with a connection to Hiram Walker Co. There was some very nice Canadian Club stuff, including a set of 20 crystal tumblers with the CC logo on them, a similar set of Lauder's Scotch glasses and many others with similar logos. Oh and two CC beltbuckles. :grin:

Anyway, I left the CC stuff behind but I did get a nice Bourbon Deluxe 8 y/o pitcher, an Early Times KSBW deck of cards, and a couple books.

One of them was a Beam decanter price guide, 1970-1971 edition by Al Cembura and Constance Avery, filled with a bewildering assortment of decanters. I don't personally collect these things, but I thought somebody out there in SB land might and might be interested in this book. If you are, pm me.

But the coolest find was the 1966 edition of Review's Who in the Liquor Industry. It's a typical "who's who" sort of book with headshots and short bios of various mucky-muckys in the liquor industry at the time.

Names I recognized were: Jere Beam, Geo. Garvin Brown II (+Robinson, Martin & W.L. Lyons Brown Jr. & Sr.), a grinning Oscar Getz with a David Niven mustache, Wathen Medley with a Col. Sanders tie, D. Evans Motlow, Julian VW, Thompson Willet, David Sherman Jr. looking hunky, and a photo of Irving Q. Diageo in scuba gear. I may have made up that last one. There is a section in the back with photos of outstanding NWAABI officers as well, including a Mrs. Julia L Weller, wife of Louis Weller (of those Wellers?).

For entertainment value, there were some fun ads in there too. I'll fire up the old scanner and post some of the more interesting ones in the next week or so. If you're interested in anybody who may be in the book, let me know, too. It includes people in the publishing, PR, and sales areas too.

The "Who's Who" book sounds great. I'd love to see it.

All I got today was some Basil Hayden swag: a nice cocktail shaker and a citrus zester, which I needed but I'll probably use on ginger.

I snagged a copy of "The Book of Bourbon & Other Fine American Whiskeys" (AKA the Regan Book) off of Craigslist for a relative song.

I've been looking for a copy of it but refused to pay the exorbitant asking prices.

I snagged a copy of "The Book of Bourbon & Other Fine American Whiskeys" (AKA the Regan Book) off of Craigslist for a relative song.

I've been looking for a copy of it but refused to pay the exorbitant asking prices.

I hope you didn't pay too much, because the book has been reissued. It is no longer out of print. The reissue is no bargain, however, at $54.95. As near as I can tell it is a re-issue, not a new edition (i.e., not updated).

Still, I know used copies were fetching $100, so at that $54.95 is a deal. And it is a must-have resource.

I hope you didn't pay too much, because the book has been reissued. It is no longer out of print. The reissue is no bargain, however, at $54.95. As near as I can tell it is a re-issue, not a new edition (i.e., not updated).

Still, I know used copies were fetching $100, so at that $54.95 is a deal. And it is a must-have resource.

It looks like an original hardcover edition as the price on book jacket is $29.95. I paid less than that.

It really is a great book.

I have this exact same book, The Book Of Bourbon And Other Fine American Whiskeys and mine cost $15.00.

The price is there by the UPC. I got it about 4 years ago.

Copyright 1995, 364 pages, same book?

I have this exact same book, The Book Of Bourbon And Other Fine American Whiskeys and mine cost $15.00.

The price is there by the UPC. I got it about 4 years ago.

Copyright 1995, 364 pages, same book?

Same book, but yours has a 15.00 price on the back?

I bought mine back when it was originally published. I have no recollection of what I paid.

Yep, to the right of the UPC, which is, 780395 935224, what's yours?

Different price, different UPC (781881 527893), same book. Interesting thing is there there's no notice of a second printing in the front of the book.

I have seen listings for multiple publishers of the book, including Hougton Mifflin, Chapters and more recently Jared Brown. Mine is published by Chapters.

The cover is the the bottom example on the Regan's site below.

http://www.ardentspirits.com/ardentspirits_old/Books/BookOfBourbon.html

Different price, different UPC (781881 527893), same book. Interesting thing is there there's no notice of a second printing in the front of the book.

I have seen listings for multiple publishers of the book, including Hougton Mifflin, Chapters and more recently Jared Brown. Mine is published by Chapters.

The cover is the the bottom example on the Regan's site below.

http://www.ardentspirits.com/ardentspirits_old/Books/BookOfBourbon.html

Well there you have it, I checked that link and the pics.

Yours is hardback, mine is paperback.

• 7 months later...

I received an engraved stainless steel lighter cover from Rebel Yell in the mail today. Here's to The Band Of Rebels! :woohoo: Joe

I received an engraved stainless steel lighter cover from Rebel Yell in the mail today. Here's to The Band Of Rebels! :woohoo: Joe

I got one too I gave mine to my wife.

A few days ago I picked up a few shot glasses from Bourbon DeLuxe and Four Roses. I found them in a relatives basement I was helping to clean out.

Today, I had a pre-pro decanter for Fine Old Ky Taylor Whiskey arrive on my doorstep.

A few days ago I picked up a few shot glasses from Bourbon DeLuxe and Four Roses. I found them in a relatives basement I was helping to clean out.

Today, I had a pre-pro decanter for Fine Old Ky Taylor Whiskey arrive on my doorstep.

Nice! I picked up a old W.L. Weller shot glass a while back and a Weller bar mat around the same time.

I had an old Fitz decanter, but I dropped it and it broke. :cry:

post-413-14489816961422_thumb.jpg

The nice man pictured here (you do see him, right?) was kind enough to give me a few items for my Makers room.

The nice man pictured (you do see him, right?)

I slid two pieces of paper toward the middle of the pic, and, after it was about 2/3 covered - bang - he appeared. Slid them back and he disappeared. Repeated the process twice and got the same result.

Pretty amazing effect. How do they do that?

I slid two pieces of paper toward the middle of the pic, and, after it was about 2/3 covered - bang - he appeared. Slid them back and he disappeared. Repeated the process twice and got the same result.

Pretty amazing effect. How do they do that?

Gotta love Booth Babes at a Whiskey Expo!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.