Review's "Who's in the Liquor Industry"

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll post the ads in another thread, but I'll post some of the bios here. To be continued!

And the rest...including entries for Wathen Medley, Julia Weller, David Motlow and an entry for Frank Kane, liquor writer, author of the Johnny Liddell series of detective stories and radio & TV writer (Mike Hammer, among others).

post-3804-1448981641829_thumb.jpg

post-3804-14489816418468_thumb.jpg

post-3804-14489816418589_thumb.jpg

post-3804-14489816418725_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the scans, interesting stuff. I bet the Pendennis Club was THE spot back then.

Thanks for the scans, interesting stuff. I bet the Pendennis Club was THE spot back then.

It certainly seems like it was. Everybody seemed to have been a member! Everybody in Kentucky anyway.

One of the things that sort of puzzled me was the lack of any Samuels or Shapiras. Maybe they were too small at the time, or they just didn't want to participate.

Yeah that is true. Then again, the book is from around 1962, right? See any missing pages?

Yeah that is true. Then again, the book is from around 1962, right? See any missing pages?

It's 1966. No missing pages that I saw. It is in excellent condition, or at least it was until I ripped a page when I was scanning it:rolleyes:

I think, as much business as HH does now, they still wouldn't have held a candle to what Hiram Walker, Schenley or Seagram's was doing in 1966. HH would have been small potatoes. MM would have been even smaller potatoes. I'm guessing that's why they're not in there.

Who published it? It may have been an association and only members were featured. HH is to this day not a member of DISCUS.

Who published it? It may have been an association and only members were featured. HH is to this day not a member of DISCUS.

With that, Google found this for me:

Kane, Frank Anatomy of the Whisky Business

Lake House Press. Manhasset, New York. First Edition. (1965). Publisher's red cloth with gtilt lettering. In slipcase. Number 233 (of an unknown limitation), signed by author. A variety of articles on the liquor business by Kane, publisher of "Frank Kane's Weekly Letter for Liquor Executives" and the "National Liquor Review." 204 pages. Condition: Fine. Signed and Inscribed Books. (Book ID 8372) $37.50

Perhaps Mr. Kane showed preference to his subscribers. Heaven Hill in 1965-66 would have been a significant if not a major player, certainly as significant as David Sherman.

Although most "Who's Who" type publications don't require that you buy a copy to be included, they do require you to fill out the questionnaire and return it. Perhaps Max's daddy and uncles just didn't bother.

Thanks for the info Chuck!

Here's an ad for Kane's book, from the the book:

I like the image.

post-3804-14489816419618_thumb.jpg

On Friday I was looking at this same year as well as 1967 and 1972. I needed to go into the Archive at Stitzel-Weller to look at them for some research on Jews in the Liquor Industry. I also noticed that Heaven Hill and Maker's Marker were missing. I would say that they only published companies that advertised in their magazine. They also had very little information about the Louisville liquor scene and focus on national player and regional sales people in New York, Chicago and L.A.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.