My Best Manhattan So Far

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We took this picture in honor of the best Manhattans we had made so far. The recipe is this:

(makes one serving I usually only have one drink a night, so I make it worth it. . . .)

3 oz Old Granddad BIB

1 1/4 ounces sweet vermouth

2 - 3 dashes Angostura Bitters

1 Marachino Cherry

Shake vigourously, strain, serve with cherry.

TomC

PS It is not on the rock in an old fashioned glass, just to large for a martini glass cool.gifcool.gif !

post-89-14489811128673_thumb.jpg

Tom,

I notice that you have Gallo vermouth. Does the brand of vermouth have a noticeable effect on the taste of the final product? (I'm happy to "Buy American" whenever I can.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

To All,

I'm skipping Vermouth in mine and using the Makers Recipe that substitutes 1/2-3/4 oz (to taste) of Maraschino Cherry Juice. I don't use Maker's but I do use their recipe.

Try it. Has anyone used other bitters besides Angostura??

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Has anyone used other bitters besides Angostura??

Sometimes I split 1/2 vermouth 1/2 cherry juice, but usually I find that to be too sweet tongue.gif . I havent tried other bitters yet but I ordered some peychaud from the sazerac company recently. They have yet to arrive.

TomC

I have tried both Martini & Rossi and Gallo vermouth in Manhattans so far, and have found the difference to be slim to negligable (BTW I also find myself putting less and less vermouth in as I continue experimenting.) and the price difference is so great that the less expensive Gallo will probably continue to be my choice.

TomC

I just came across this Makers recipe in a magazine today. I figured to try this tonight as I hadn't had any Makers Mark in quite some time. Turns out it was actually quite good, but I'll still take my bourbon preferably straight. smile.gif

Makers Mark Old Fashioned

1 1/2 oz. Makers Mark

2 Maraschino cherries

1/2 oz. Club Soda

1 teaspoon sugar

2 orange slices

Muddle orange slice, maraschino cherry, and teaspoon of sugar in an Old Fashioned glass. Fill glass 3/4 full with ice. Add 1 1/2 oz Makers Mark and a splash of Club Soda. Garnish with additional orange slice and maraschino cherry.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumperoo

I was at Liquor Barn and remembered to look for bitters. Gary & Mardee Regan go on and on about Bitters and the Manhattan . Peychaud bitters are available there and are about 40 cents cheaper on the 5 oz bottle than Angostura. The Regans have a recipe for Orange Bitters #4 , They say it is a replacement for DeKuyper Orange Bitters,that are being hard to come by.I found and purchased a product, Collins Orange Bitters. Reasonably priced $1.49 for 2 oz. They claim that a Manhattan with the Orange Bitters #4 is worth the effort. I realize this isn't a lot of help presently , it may be worthwhile to shop for these in September when you visit this area.

I will keep that in mind Bobby. . . . I know that I have taken a little of an interest in Manhattans recently, but especially my Dad (who will be in Bardstown this Dec.) LOVES the things now, and would probably enjoy trying the variation.

Thanx,

TomC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This thread inspired me to try a Manhattan for the first time. I made it with Rye. I see you used OGD. What do you all think of using bourbon vs rye in a Manhattan? I have no basis on which to compare my concoction, so I'm not sure if I made it right or not. I used 3 oz of Jim Beam Rye, 1 oz of sweet vermouth, a couple dashes of Angostura bitters and a cherry. It tastes OK, it may grow on me. I might like it better with bourbon. confused.gif

Bob

I liked it better with bourbon, but the only rye available locally here is Old Overholt. I wanna try it with WT Rye. I think OGD BIB is about the best out of all I have mixed in so far.

TomC

Tom,

Thanks for your feedback. I currenty don't have OGD BIB, but I think I'll give it a try with a bourbon to see how it compares. I also have a few other ryes, including Old Overholt, but for some reason, I just decided to use the JB Rye. Time to experiment with a few other things I guess! smirk.gifgrin.gif

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.