BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been thinking about this one for a few days. I haven't seen any Evan Williams product that has been BOTM so far. Let's see if this month's BOTM will generate more discussion. Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof. I have seen it mentioned and talked about in numerous threads and chats. Many people consider it one of the better value pours available. I had to stop at the store this morning to get a paper and a couple other things, so I even decided to pick up a bottle for myself. Cheers! Joe

I don't think the current NAS is as good as the 7yo was, but it's still decent stuff. We use it as our "bourbon-and-Coke" bourbon. Current bottle is about 1/3 full, and I'm hoping OLCC will run a "monthly special" on it soon.

Current prices here for 375/750/1750 are $6.95/$12.95/$24.45.

Nothing wrong with an EW Black attack.

Nice mint tail, great over cracked ice, a little rough on the throat neat though.

Nothing wrong with an EW Black attack.

Nice mint tail, great over cracked ice, a little rough on the throat neat though.

I thought the current EW Black is 80 proof or am I mistaken?

Joe :usflag:

When I hauled the case in to restock his cabinet I found ten more bottles shoved to the back of the self.

Cool. I wonder how long they'd been there. Might be the seven year old stuff. Did you check the label?

Just checked it it's 86 proof. I like EWB for a back up bourbon it's a great bottom shelf bourbon.

The green label is 80 proof.

The EW Black is simply a rock solid bourbon. And, a great bargain, too. I enjoy the NAS as much as I did when it was a stated 7 year. I often hold it up as an example that a distillery can indeed drop the age statment, without compromising the product. So, for those who worry about the Weller SR and OWA dropping their age statements, just hope that BT does as good a job with them going forward, as HH has done to date with EW. I reloaded some of my bargain drinkers over the weekend, but failed to pick up an EW. I'll remedy that oversight later today.

I was in Little Rock one day and wanted a drink before dinner. I don't like to drink in bars, especially alone, so I bought a 200ml of EW black in a plastic bottle. I thought it was terrific for the price. Plus I have an extra hip flask!

The EW Black is simply a rock solid bourbon. And, a great bargain, too. I enjoy the NAS as much as I did when it was a stated 7 year. I often hold it up as an example that a distillery can indeed drop the age statment, without compromising the product. So, for those who worry about the Weller SR and OWA dropping their age statements, just hope that BT does as good a job with them going forward, as HH has done to date with EW. I reloaded some of my bargain drinkers over the weekend, but failed to pick up an EW. I'll remedy that oversight later today.

Of course as I re-read this, I realize that BT has only dropped the AS on the OWA, not the SR. But, if they were to....!!! :falling:

I am a dipshit.

EWB is still good.

Cool. I wonder how long they'd been there. Might be the seven year old stuff. Did you check the label?

He did point out several jugs with handles saying they were the older 7 year old EW. There is a good chance some of them have been in the cabinet for at least 10 years but most of them were "lost" in the last two or three years. The stuff we bought recently had no handles so they are harder for him to maneuver with his cane and he believed they were younger than 7 years in the barrel.

Do the 7 year olds have an age statement on them or is the jug handle a reliable indicator? I really didn't look hard because I was a bit giddy finding all that bourbon in one location.

Do the 7 year olds have an age statement on them or is the jug handle a reliable indicator? I really didn't look hard because I was a bit giddy finding all that bourbon in one location.

It's rock-solid, but I'm just not sure that it IS as good as the 7 year. For some reason, the 7 year had more of the HH creaminess that I associate with some of their EWSBs. It just isn't there as much in the current, NAS stuff. It's good! In fact, I have a friend who enjoys it more than he does the bottle of 1996 SB I let him try. My wife loves it, too- ESPECIALLY as a mixer bourbon.

I am a dipshit.

Again, I'm going to have to politely disagree with you sir. ;)

One of the ironies of the dusty hunter's universe (mine anyway) is the almost total lack of age-stated EW to be found. One would think that what was the second best selling bourbon brand in the country would be easy to find, but it's not. I've found more OCPR, Old Forester BiB, hell I've found more Hirsch 20 than I've found of EW of any age statement.

But when I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. EW was (and is) such a big seller that it rarely stayed on the shelf for very long. A bottle of Hirsch 20 or Split Label WT 12 sitting on a shelf in a small town in the rural midwest is not likely to fly off the shelf.

Anyway, one of the benefits of unemployment is the ability to host my own private tastings. :grin: I bought a bottle of EW black a couple days ago and I am now comparing to a few of its cousins: HH White Label BiB (6 y/o), Old Ezra 7/101, and EWSB 1997, all at 86 proof.

The stereotypical HH notes really come through with the HH. Grassy, minty, eucalyptus-y. The EWB is much more balanced. There are those herbal notes, but they are countered by caramel and a hint of wood. The diluted Old Ezra has almost too much wood and not enough mint or caramel. The EWSB '97 (I know it's an unfair comparison) has a lot of corn in the nose, but has such delightful char and sweetness.

Anyway, of the other lower and mid-shelfers, EW definatley holds its own. Another great BOTM choice.

The seven year old had an age statement. The 7 was prominently displayed on the label.

I'd post a copy here, but apparently we are (or maybe just I am) not allowed to post attachments in the BOTM forum. However, if you go to the SB.com home page and hit reload enough times, you'll see it eventually.

I always have a bottle of Evan Williams Black on hand. It's hard to beat for the price. I'm not a mixer at all... I drink all my bourbon neat, or with just a drop or two of water, and I don't really find the EW to be harsh on my throat at all, although, I have had it go down the wrong pipe a time or two... and that is no fun at all! :lol:

The stereotypical HH notes really come through with the HH. Grassy, minty, eucalyptus-y. The EWB is much more balanced. There are those herbal notes, but they are countered by caramel and a hint of wood.

Nailed it. I'll be buying more of these.

Thanks for picking this one, and resurrecting BOTM, Joe. I might have never tried it if not for you.

I can't believe I missed that. Maybe that's why my grandfather was so confident in which were 7 and which were not. I will be visiting again in early summer. I will make a closer inspection if he hasn't drained them all by the time I get back. Regardless, it's a lot of EW.

The current label has "1st" where the old one had "7".

It might be blashphemus to mention a different variation of the BOTM, but I went to go pick up a black label and saw that the EW 1783 was only $1 more. Is it not that much better than the black label?

It might be blashphemus to mention a different variation of the BOTM, but I went to go pick up a black label and saw that the EW 1783 was only $1 more. Is it not that much better than the black label?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.