BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I really only can afford Evan Williams or Old Crow Reserve in a regular bottle size. I prefer, I think the Evan Williams as I have not tried them side by side. I believe that I can taste the smoke from the charred oak barrel and that is a good thing. I drink it on the rocks. Have not tried to mix it any other way.

I still prefer Wild Turkey 101 to Evan Willams but I guess we are talking about apples and oranges as far as shelf level. I guess Wild Turkey 101 would be expected to be better.

Perhaps I budget my luxuries too carefully, as I have found that I prefer EW over WT101. This may be because I drink more EW than 101. Mine goes down neat or with a splash of water.

• 1 month later...
I picked up a bottle of this and thought it had kind of weird scent to it. I was thinking it might be the glass I was using, but got the same result with 2 different glencairns and a rocks glass. Maybe it'll go away after the bottle has been open awhile.

I think next time I'll try JTS Brown BIB for the same price or EW 1783 for $1.50 more.

• 8 months later...
Nothing wrong with an EW Black attack.

Nice mint tail, great over cracked ice, a little rough on the throat neat though.

It's been a couple months since I've visited EWB. The mint that I've heard so much about had always eluded me. Though I wasn't looking for it tonight, I noticed the "mint tail". Had to have another pour to confirm it.

Now that I've found it, I'll probably always notice (and enjoy) it.

Of course as I re-read this, I realize that BT has only dropped the AS on the OWA, not the SR. But, if they were to....!!! :falling:

I am a dipshit.

EWB is still good.

Joe, this is a post from 2 years ago: 3-9-2010. Now you look like a soothsayer. Must have great sources.:bowdown: :bowdown:

Plus, this definitely confirms you're not a dipshit.:grin:

It's been a couple months since I've visited EWB. The mint that I've heard so much about had always eluded me. Though I wasn't looking for it tonight, I noticed the "mint tail". Had to have another pour to confirm it.

Now that I've found it, I'll probably always notice (and enjoy) it.

It makes me wonder if it ia variety in the bottle... Or the palate where tastes differ. I have only had one bottle of EWB (as I have no intention of buying it again), and the mint tail was about as subtle as it is in a bottle of Scope.

EWB just tastes kind of like nothing to me. I know I am supposed to like it, but I like Ezra Brooks 90 proof better and I understand that it is likely HH juice also.

• 10 months later...

I like this stuff, it's a good quality decently priced pour. I'm a big fan of EWSB, and it bears a strong resemblance to it's older brethren with perhaps a bit less complexity.

• 8 months later...
It makes me wonder if it ia variety in the bottle... Or the palate where tastes differ. I have only had one bottle of EWB (as I have no intention of buying it again), and the mint tail was about as subtle as it is in a bottle of Scope.

It's been awhile, but I've thought about this post from time to time (mainly around 9:30pm when I start winding down with a drink). Despite asking people their opinion, it just doesn't seem I've come any closer to an answer (palate vs bottle). I can say: There are not many people I know, who like bourbon, that do not like Evan Williams. In the interest of disclosure, I have found most bourbons to be well received.

I've received some mighty funny looks when I ask people if EWBL has a noticeable mint finish. I do agree it is there, but do not agree in its severity.

It's been awhile, but I've thought about this post from time to time (mainly around 9:30pm when I start winding down with a drink). Despite asking people their opinion, it just doesn't seem I've come any closer to an answer (palate vs bottle). I can say: There are not many people I know, who like bourbon, that do not like Evan Williams. In the interest of disclosure, I have found most bourbons to be well received.

I've received some mighty funny looks when I ask people if EWBL has a noticeable mint finish. I do agree it is there, but do not agree in its severity.

In my opinion the minty flavors are disappearing from Heaven Hill's bourbons over time. Especially EWB, the last several bottles I've had were not minty at all.

i picked up on it in the HH and EW lineups, but either its fading away, or im becoming accustomed to it. it used to be off-putting, but now i barely notice it.

• 4 months later...

It disappeared from Australian shelves last year. Apparently there is a new distributor but I haven't seen any. Pity.

• 1 month later...
My grandfather, at 95, still enjoys a nightly dram. His dram of choice is Evan Williams. He keeps his stash on the bottom shelf of the bottom cabinet in his kitchen. He always buys the 1.75 liter bottle. In the last few years he has lost a lot of mobility in his legs and can't get down to fish his bottle out from the cabinets.

On a recent visit he told me he had used his cane to fish out the last bottle and now it was nearly done so we needed to make a trip to his favorite vendor and stock up. Naturally, he knew there was a sale on plus a 10% case discount so we bought 12 1.75 liter bottles and headed home. When I hauled the case in to restock his cabinet I found ten more bottles shoved to the back of the self.

This surprise revelation to him was actually good news. He now believes his bunker is complete and he will no longer need to venture out to the liquor store to resupply, thinking his bunker will now outlast him.

That much EW will probably last his grandchildren a lifetime too. If ever there was an EW ambassador, my grandfather certainly fits the bill. He's been on it longer than the greatest portion of people that make it or sell it.:bowdown:

I remember trying EWB 20 years ago and thinking it was surprisingly good for the price. Esquire listed it as "the best cheap booze" a couple of months ago (http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/best-cheap-liquor-0209). I don't read the mag, but a while ago they also listed my favorite album (John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman) as the best ever, so sometimes they hit it right.

Any update on this wonderful story?

Vader, I am pleased to report that my grandfather will celebrate his 99th birthday in June. We are planning to have a week long celebration as he has slowed down considerably since last I reported on his love of Evan Williams bourbon. It will take a week to get everyone through the line to have a toast to this accomplishment with him. As you might guess, his bunker of EW is capable of sustaining his jolly attitude and thirsty visitors for the duration of the celebration of nearly a century of life, most of it lived in the same house since he was 5 years old. He is genetically wired to the water of life and cannot sustain himself without it. I suspect his Viking roots transformed in Scotland and later perfected in the colonies by his direct ancestors has set the conditions where his mind, body and soul have run efficiently on just a few drams of good bourbon a week for the duration of his long and productive life. While some may argue that bourbon can work no such miracles, his good manners will not allow him to argue the point. After the lecture, he will simply ask if the doubter will be staying to have a dram or two of EW with him after dinner.

Vader, I am pleased to report that my grandfather will celebrate his 99th birthday in June. We are planning to have a week long celebration as he has slowed down considerably since last I reported on his love of Evan Williams bourbon. It will take a week to get everyone through the line to have a toast to this accomplishment with him. As you might guess, his bunker of EW is capable of sustaining his jolly attitude and thirsty visitors for the duration of the celebration of nearly a century of life, most of it lived in the same house since he was 5 years old. He is genetically wired to the water of life and cannot sustain himself without it. I suspect his Viking roots transformed in Scotland and later perfected in the colonies by his direct ancestors has set the conditions where his mind, body and soul have run efficiently on just a few drams of good bourbon a week for the duration of his long and productive life. While some may argue that bourbon can work no such miracles, his good manners will not allow him to argue the point. After the lecture, he will simply ask if the doubter will be staying to have a dram or two of EW with him after dinner.

Maybe a EWSB may be appropriate for the occassion? Or perhaps HH could whip up something special, 99 is quite an achievement!

Congratulations to your family!

In my opinion the minty flavors are disappearing from Heaven Hill's bourbons over time. Especially EWB, the last several bottles I've had were not minty at all.

I agree. However, the brand is tasting very good in recent years, and is a great value.

Gary

next year, you should definitely get him an EWBIB, 100 proof for his 100 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.