The Old Bourbon Ad Thread

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought it might be nice to consolidate some of these into a single thread. If this might go better somewhere else, feel free to move it.

First a few from my new acquisition (apologies for my poor scanning ability):

When you think of hot nights in an exotic locale, do you think of red wine? Sherry? Brandy? Tequila? No, you idiot, of course you think of IW Harper:

post-3804-14489816429472_thumb.jpg

Jack Daniels: The Only American Whiskey Made in a Cave

post-3804-14489816429679_thumb.jpg

Funny. I used to write a lot of ads and brochures like this, in my youth. One day one of the old salts told me, "write whatever you want, as long as the headline has the words 'sales' and 'profits' in it."

Funny. I used to write a lot of ads and brochures like this, in my youth. One day one of the old salts told me, "write whatever you want, as long as the headline has the words 'sales' and 'profits' in it."

That definately seems to be the case with the Harper ad.

Logo and name of product- check

"sales"- check

"profits"- check

Photo with whiskey- check +bonus points for the attactive woman & sophisticated man

Perfect ad!

The JD one is definately better done and more subtle in a way, but the way it makes it look like JD is made by a few guys in the woods makes me chuckle.

...it makes it look like JD is made by a few guys in the woods makes me chuckle.

You mean it's not? :bigeyes:

I suppose next you're going to tell me that Keebler cookies aren't made by elves in a big tree.

What year is the I. W. Harper add above?

I like the Turkey ad, Oscar. Never seen a turkey soaring as majestically as that!

Much better than this one :lol:

post-3804-14489816437083_thumb.jpg

I can't quite figure out what is going on in this ND one and why it was needed:

post-3804-14489816437306_thumb.jpg

Someone at Austin-Nichols apparently forgot the meaning in that Wild Turkey ad.

Dentistry at a whole new level.

LOL. No officer, I haven't been drinking, it's just my whiskey toothpaste you're smelling.

OK, three more and then I'll shut up.

This one is for Scotch, but I like the expression on the guy's face. Plus it looks like the bottle exploded or something.

post-3804-14489816439548_thumb.jpg

ABC(s)D

post-3804-14489816439761_thumb.jpg

This is my favorite. This guy looks like I'm going to look on the afternoon of the first day of my Spring Break!

post-3804-14489816439977_thumb.jpg

One thing that struck me about the Jack Daniel's ad is that it looks very contemporary. All of the others look very 1966.

Thanx Scott, I've only looked at a few and they're great.

I have booked marked it, lots of entertainment there.

...lots of entertainment there.

Very educational too. I had no idea that in 1937 there was both a Seagrams Seven and a Seagrams Five. I guess the latter didn't survive because "I'll have a five and seven" just sounds weird.

That Brown-Forman "Bottoms Up" bourbon looks like great stuff. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I recently came into posession of a couple ads:

Four Roses c. 1943 (according to a note on the back of the ad). The ad itself is fairly clever, but the note on the bottom about "prewar stocks" I found just as interesting. It also makes me wonder who owned the brand at the time.

post-3804-1448981661193_thumb.jpg

This Old Forester ad caught my attention because it was such a great image. Not sure of the artist or date, but its really well done. If I ever get a house with room for a bar, this is going above it.

post-3804-14489816612148_thumb.jpg

One of the self regulations the industry imposed upon itself after prohibition was they would not use women in advertising the products. Glenmore was the first to break this prohibition in marketing and I believe it was in the late 1950s or early 1960s when they did so.

Mike Veach

One of the self regulations the industry imposed upon itself after prohibition was they would not use women in advertising the products. Glenmore was the first to break this prohibition in marketing and I believe it was in the late 1950s or early 1960s when they did so.

I checked my timeline on Glenmore it was 1959 when they broke the ban.

Mike Veach

Apparently everyone who drank bourbon in the 1960s was gay. Who knew?

Golly. Could that have been the case in the 1930s as well?

If so, I expect one could extrapolate two additional frames onto this ad. In the first, the visit to Dick's culminates in a Happy Ending for the Boss. In the second, Dick gets a Happy Ending too, that being a raise and a corner office.

No, really, in the first frame why is he holding his hand like that?

If so, I expect one could extrapolate two additional frames onto this ad. In the first, the visit to Dick's culminates in a Happy Ending for the Boss. In the second, Dick gets a Happy Ending too, that being a raise and a corner office.

His hand screams, "Crab Orchard"! Wow.

Think about this. The headline touts Old Forester as "the guest whiskey." Where do you have guests? In your home. Whose home is this? The old queen in the tux, lighting the younger man's cigarette, of course. Nice crib, dude.

Think about this. The headline touts Old Forester as "the guest whiskey." Where do you have guests? In your home. Whose home is this? The old queen in the tux, lighting the younger man's cigarette, of course. Nice crib, dude.

So would that make the guys pouring and serving "rent boys"?:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.