Crown Royal Black

loose proton
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I feel the Black is neither fish nor fowl. Seagram should re-introduce a bourbon similar to Benchmark as it was in the 1970's, which is what CR Black reminds me of but only to a degree...

Gray

• 3 months later...

I'm not a big Canadian whisky fan, but I decided to grab a bottle of this, at the prodding of a couple of co-workers, who also drink their share of whisk(e)y. I'm glad I did. I honestly like this expression. The higher proof and the "bourbon like" profile sits well with me. It's definitely Canadian, but it's also more... if that makes any sense. I like it.

I just wish it was more assertive, but falling short of bourbon as such. Still, it is one of the best of the new crop Canadian whiskies out there.

Gary

I just wish it was more assertive, but falling short of bourbon as such. Still, it is one of the best of the new crop Canadian whiskies out there.

Gary

It's okay for Canadian whisky to taste like Canadian whisky, Gary ;).

This one seems to have divided whisky fans. Some like it, others find it atrocious for some reason.

Well, good point: at what point does it become non-Canadian in taste if you amp up the straight whiskey component? But I'd say Black has some way to go still, it is still a fairly mild drink. I still like it though.

Maybe Wiser's Legacy is the one that gets the balance best...

Gary

When I bought this again months after the initial release, it didn't taste quite as good, not sure if it was me or slight changes in batches.

When the level fell to about 23-24 oz. I added Bourye (minimum 10 years) and VWFRR 13 years old (really 18) about 50/50 to my bottle. The result was a more flavourful blend where you can taste the whiskey more and the caramel, if caramel there be, blends well with the other elements.

Not sure what the Seagram blender would think, but I like my version. His has an aged element to it - maybe some of that storied old S-W Diageo owns. But mine just deepens everything.

Gary

I like this stuff. It is pretty much just what I expected: a fuller, more robust Crown Royal with higher alcohol. Though there seems to be a frightening amount of caramel added (I half-expected it to taste like Coca Cola), this doesn't impair my enjoyment of it.

This whisky alternately reminds me of a young bourbon and an old brandy. Really enjoying a glass just now.

• 2 weeks later...
Seagram should re-introduce a bourbon similar to Benchmark as it was in the 1970's, which is what CR Black reminds me of but only to a degree...

Gray

Interesting comparison, Gary. Could you say more on this? I can see how '70s era Benchmark has certain Canadian qualities, but CR Black is so bold and uneven. I feel it lacks the finesse that standard CR (and Benchmark, for that matter) shows in the glass.

When the level fell to about 23-24 oz. I added Bourye (minimum 10 years) and VWFRR 13 years old (really 18) about 50/50 to my bottle. The result was a more flavourful blend where you can taste the whiskey more and the caramel, if caramel there be, blends well with the other elements.

I too added some straight rye to a glass with CR Black and found it to be improved on many fronts.

Well, the style of Benchmark in the 1970's was almost dark rum-like with a slightly sweet, dark caramel taste. And CR Black is like that, but lighter and in the Canadian style. I think possibly Seagram was recalling this bourbon style with CR Black, however being a Canadian whisky it is still fairly restrained. I've been adding more bourbon and rye to my CR Black, it's about 2:1 now, to try to get the optimum balance for me.

Gary

I well remember that 70s Benchmark, it was made in a time when the producers were striving to earn a top shelf spot by emphasizing quality. It's a shame some of our younger members didn't have the opportunity to regularly drink whisky made by men who were born in the 1890s.

• 8 months later...

I just saw a new commercial for Crown Royal black. It struck me as amusing.

The slogan is, "Bold as bourbon, smooth as Crown."

:lol: :lol::lol:

• 4 months later...

CR Black is a whisky that I don't really care for, but I do like the rye spice and sweetness quality of it; so I decided to make my own vat (never tried this before, I think I read too many of Gary's posts). I decided to mix it with a bourbon I wouldn't miss on my shelf...so I was thinking corner creek or JB white label. Tried CR + Corner Creek equal parts, CR + JB equal parts, then 2 parts CR with 1 part beam and 1 part corner creek. Decided after mixing and trying small samples to use all of what I had and make the last one.

It's different, and better than the other 3 on their own. The rye spice is less intense and better balanced. The finish is short...as I expected it would be from what I was working with.

My wife is a die hard CR drinker but doesn't care for CR black. Not only is the proof different, the blend itself is different!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.