Jim Beam Rye

thanis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To start, my jargon is not that complex, but I'm asking a question because what I taste is in contrast to a few others I know (all of them, like me, lacking an experienced palate).

I found Jim Beam Rye to be smooth (even more smooth than JB white or JB 8 yr) with enjoyable flavors. The others (who like say Johnnie's scotch and Jack's whiskey) do not find it smooth.

I'm wondering if I can't taste the harshness they taste becayse I simply like the taste of what they dislike.

For example, a shot of Johnnie and Jack, will hit my gut and make me do a quick head shake. I can enjoy Johnnie and Jack, and this is not a bash on either, however, rye just does down with a pleasant buzz.

So my question, in general, is rye considered smoother or harsher?

My answer? Yes

:cool:

Since rye will vary from expression to expression like bourbon or other whiskies, there is really no good answer. For example I love rye whiskey, but I can't drink Wild Turkey 101 Rye as there's something in there that hits me wrong. Really really wrong, like throat burning wrong. Other people love it, but I can't drink it for whatever reason and I can't think of another bourbon or rye that hits me that way. Perhaps that's the case with you and Johnnie Walker or Jack?

Also, some folks don't necessarily consider "smooth" to be a positive description of a whiskey. To me, it signifies something that is more pedestrian or less challenging.

some folks don't necessarily consider "smooth" to be a positive description of a whiskey. To me, it signifies something that is more pedestrian or less challenging.

In the words of Billy Jeff Clinton, "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is."

Smooth and harsh are rather imprecise descriptors for whiskey. While you might think of smooth as meaning "lack of alcohol burn," many others think of smooth as "lacking complexity of flavor." Similarly, harsh could mean a strong alcohol burn, or it could be the spicy rye flavor that many enjoy, but perhaps your friends do not.

Of course, sometimes you may not be in the mood for complexity or strong flavors, and may just desire sweet simplicity. Whatever your mood and tastes, there's a whiskey out there for you somewhere. The fun is in finding out where that is exactly. Now back to my research.

Matt

...some folks don't necessarily consider "smooth" to be a positive description of a whiskey....signifies something that is more pedestrian or less challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, it's not bad, but tastes too young. I think it does have more alcohol burn or harshness or whatever than JB 8 y.o. or other ryes on the market, even those of higher proof, like WT Rye or Rittenhouse BIB.

It is odd how my buds just can't get a burn from the rye. I don't know why I find it so easy to drink.

Maybe I need to drink different ryes and I will get a better understanding.

• 1 month later...

i find the JB rye quite palatable. but i also like the WT rye. its not what im going to drink all the time, but ill get a bottle of one of those two every few weeks just to mix things up a bit.

It seems to me like JB Rye gets widely varying reviews. I've never had it.

• 5 months later...

I had some the other night, first time since the 1980s. We were having dinner at some friends' home, and dessert was pralines (which were pretty good). I took a look at their liquor collection, hoping to spot a bourbon, which I figured would go well with the pralines. No go, but they did have a bottle of JBR (which, I latter learned, they use in sazeracs).

I thought, well, maybe it's not as bad as I remember it being, and poured myself a small glass.

It was. As bad, that is.

Anyway, now I know what to get these folks for Christmas.

I really would consider buying Old Overholt or Jim Beam rye. These ryes are much improved in recent years. Rittenhouse Bonded is excellent and well-priced, but the former ones mentioned, while not getting a lot of attention on the board, are excellent values.

Gary

Okay, so who do I trust?:grin:

Your own palate. :grin:

Neither should be over 20 bucks, so it's not a big burn if you go 0 for 2.

Rye and ginger ale is always a nice treat, tho.

Sorry for the subtlety guys but I thought I was kinda implying that and Yes I most certainly do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.