Grappa Glasses As Bourbon/Scotch Samplers?

MJL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been looking for high quality sampling glasses I can use to really examine whiskies. I have also been looking for these glasses to be cheaply priced. I have been looking at closeout stores and noticed Grappa glasses seem to be the right shape and shize for spirit sampling. They also seem to be the long stem version of the Single Malt Scotch samplers I see sold and given away in promotions. Did I stumble upon something that others have found too?

I've been looking for high quality sampling glasses I can use to really examine whiskies. I have also been looking for these glasses to be cheaply priced. I have been looking at closeout stores and noticed Grappa glasses seem to be the right shape and shize for spirit sampling. They also seem to be the long stem version of the Single Malt Scotch samplers I see sold and given away in promotions. Did I stumble upon something that others have found too?

For less than obsessive compulsive spirit cracking I have used a stemmed aperitif glass, that looks like a tulip and holds 1.5 ounces, for several years to good effect. I fill it with 1 ounce or less and that allows me to nose a small amount of spirit, even cask strength, without the alcohol nose burn because of the small volume.

It sounds like your glass may work the same as I described above. The flared rims seem to make it easier to sip and pour the spirit right on the tip of the tongue. If the glass is pinched below the flare with a bowl below, I find this design the best all around for nosing and tasting.

For obsessive compulsive nosing and tasting, I use a port copita and follow a strict protocol that would aggravate the most dedicated wine drinker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.