Straight Rye Whiskey

jl344
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My grandfather left me an unopened square bottle of Mount Vernon brand Straight Rye Whiskey. The label shows under supervision of the us gov. Distilled by national distillers 100 proof, Baltimore, Md. made in 1935 and bottled in spring 1940. Any info on how much it worth and the history on the bottle. I just want to make sure if it’s something valuable I don’t want to open it.

I wouldn't open it.

There are both collectors and connoisseurs that would love to have that one.

But beware, you'll no doubt get some flack for coming here and asking about it in your first post.

It is worthless. Dump it out as it may have turned in to toxic waste by now.

My grandfather left me an unopened square bottle of Mount Vernon brand Straight Rye Whiskey. The label shows under supervision of the us gov. Distilled by national distillers 100 proof, Baltimore, Md. made in 1935 and bottled in spring 1940. Any info on how much it worth and the history on the bottle. I just want to make sure if it’s something valuable I don’t want to open it.

It's only worth what someone will pay for it. If you want to sell it, you could throw it on ebay for a penny and let it go. Otherwise, drink it. It's straight rye of a long-lost variety.... If you decide to open it share it with some people that appreciate whiskey.

I did a quick Google Search and got plenty of hits on the Mount Vernon Straight Rye. There was even a bottle already on Ebay. Just type in Mount Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey and you'll be inundated with info.

I did a quick Google Search and got plenty of hits on the Mount Vernon Straight Rye. There was even a bottle already on Ebay. Just type in Mount Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey and you'll be inundated with info.

I did some more checking and found prices for vintage Mount Vernon Straight Rye for $240 to $500 USD. If you plan to keep it or sell it I suggest you wrap it good in saran wrap and store it in a cabinet out of direct light and where the humidity stays between 40 and 60%. The market is better for this whiskey in Europe or the UK where collecting for value is well established.

BUT, you might just toast your grandfather and have a good glass of rare old whiskey yourself.

Thank you for all the help. After reading all the replys I think im just going to sit down with love ones give a toast to pa and enjoy a glass of old whiskey!

Thank you for all the help. After reading all the replys I think im just going to sit down with love ones give a toast to pa and enjoy a glass of old whiskey!

Although named in tribute to George Washington's home, where he did operate a distillery, Mt. Vernon Rye had no connection to the First President. If you have not done so, read this post about estimating the value of old whiskey.

Aren't we cousins twice removed?

Aren't we cousins twice removed?

Why did they remove you, AVB? (rimshot)

After reading all the replys I think im just going to sit down with love ones give a toast to pa and enjoy a glass of old whiskey!

Excellent decision, IMHO. No one else would appreciate it the same way you will.

Now thats the most refreshing thing I have heard in a long time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.