BOTM 4/10: 2009 Four Roses Mariage

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The more I drink this stuff the more I like it. I think it may top any of the Van Winkle products I have.

This Mariage is to ryed bourbons what Van Winkle's are to wheaters.

Well said Oscar. I'll co-sign that. :toast:

Going to finish the night with a pour of this fine bourbon...I'm glad a have a number of these bunkered for the future! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I can't get any of the specialty FR offerings here in NH. I ragged on 'em hard for nearly two years and we finally got FR1B here but I don't think I have it in me to undertake another unrelenting email campaign. Looks like a phone call to Binny's or Julio's may be in order.

Cheers, ya lucky bastids!!

I picked up another one of these in Houston for a very good price of $75

• 3 weeks later...

Tried some belonging to a friend a while back. I was caught off guard by the cinnamon red hot flavor. Very special indeed.... Will pick up one of my own soon.

I'm quite enamored with this juice. I was able to do a side by side with the 08 and I prefer the 09 by alot. Both bottles had some air and the 09 was just creamy goodness.

I've been hoping for a windfall so I could stash some of this. So tasty.

• 3 months later...

Reading all of these posts about FR Mariage makes me want to have some...I definitely know what will be on the menu for tonight! :cool:

• 1 month later...

First time posts, and figured it should be about the bourbon I was researching when I found this site.

Got a bottle of it here in Indy (and must go get another, now, and "bunker" it as y'all say).

This bourbon in only two pours has easily become one of my favorite.

I love the nose with taffy, butterscotch, and peppery goodness. Unlike many others with such high %, even in a snifter there is no overwhelming presence of an alcohol smell/burn in the nose. In a word, inviting.

The taste at first is of caramel and pepper, but then I pick up leather and pipe tobacco. This is a perfect bourbon for early winter when the temps start to drop and the leaves have abandoned their trees, but there is no snow cover... the grass is brown the trees are bare and the world is preparing to hibernate in a blanket of white.

The finish is exactly as others have said - cinnamon. I love the way this rounds out at the end (starting with the sweet, moving to the robust, ending with the spicy)... it is what bourbon should be. Delicious. Seductive.

My store in Indy has two bottles left - probably will go pick one up later this week (and the second if my fear of this bottling disappearing before my eyes)... While marriage lasts forever, mariage does not.

First time posts, and figured it should be about the bourbon I was researching when I found this site.

Got a bottle of it here in Indy (and must go get another, now, and "bunker" it as y'all say).

This bourbon in only two pours has easily become one of my favorite.

I love the nose with taffy, butterscotch, and peppery goodness. Unlike many others with such high %, even in a snifter there is no overwhelming presence of an alcohol smell/burn in the nose. In a word, inviting.

The taste at first is of caramel and pepper, but then I pick up leather and pipe tobacco. This is a perfect bourbon for early winter when the temps start to drop and the leaves have abandoned their trees, but there is no snow cover... the grass is brown the trees are bare and the world is preparing to hibernate in a blanket of white.

The finish is exactly as others have said - cinnamon. I love the way this rounds out at the end (starting with the sweet, moving to the robust, ending with the spicy)... it is what bourbon should be. Delicious. Seductive.

My store in Indy has two bottles left - probably will go pick one up later this week (and the second if my fear of this bottling disappearing before my eyes)... While marriage lasts forever, mariage does not.

Great first post, Tex.... I think you nailed it.

FWIW,I believe Indy has quite a few of the Mariage left on the shelves. Just look about.

Hey TexIn, if you want something truly unique track down a bottle of the '08 Mariage, like distilled rose petals.

Thanks for the suggestion, Oscar. I understand they have discontinued the Mariage series (or rather re-named it?)... can someone fill me in on this?

If any of you are in Indy or ever passing through, head directly to Vine and Table for your shopping needs (north side of town, just in one of the suburbs). Their staff is exceptional, their knowledge unmatched (close, though, is Kahn's). I went to Vine and Table and dropped some coin on a few bottles I wanted to store away and also some great food selections at their store. Wife and I had a nice evening in after putting the boy to bed last weekend with some wine, cheese, bourbon, desert, and a fresh loaf of sourdough she made.

But, back to Vine and Table.. shopping there is an experience, not an excursion. Wish I lived less than 45 minutes away so I could stop in more often*

Also about the '09 Mariage, I tried it for the first time this week in a single-malt glass (had been using a pinot noir glass before), and I was shocked how different it tasted - not better, not worse, just different. It really opened up the front and middle of the palate, while still leaving the enjoyable big-red gum finish. As I become more enamored with the world of bourbon, it occurs to me now maybe to do a tasting of 2 or 3 bourbons but in different glasses, taking it one bourbon at a time while trying a few glasses - be it a bourbon glass, single-malt, glencairn, etc.

*On second thought, it might be better for my wallet to not live any closer than I do now.

I understand they have discontinued the Mariage series (or rather re-named it?)... can someone fill me in on this?

I think it was basically marketing.

They release a Limited Edition of the Single Barrel in the Spring and now they'll be doing an Autumn Limited Edition of the Small Batch.

If any of you are in Indy or ever passing through, head directly to Vine and Table for your shopping needs (north side of town, just in one of the suburbs). Their staff is exceptional, their knowledge unmatched (close, though, is Kahn's). I went to Vine and Table and dropped some coin on a few bottles I wanted to store away and also some great food selections at their store. Wife and I had a nice evening in after putting the boy to bed last weekend with some wine, cheese, bourbon, desert, and a fresh loaf of sourdough she made.

But, back to Vine and Table.. shopping there is an experience, not an excursion. Wish I lived less than 45 minutes away so I could stop in more often*

*On second thought, it might be better for my wallet to not live any closer than I do now.

V & T is very, very nice and shopping there really is a great experience. Last time I was there, though, their their prices seemed to be quite a bit higher than at Kahn's. Did you find that to be the case when you were there TexIn?

I think it was basically marketing.

They release a Limited Edition of the Single Barrel in the Spring and now they'll be doing an Autumn Limited Edition of the Small Batch.

From what Jim Rutledge said the small batch LE sneak peek, they felt that Mariage limited them to just two mashbills per release and moving to the small batch name opened up more possibilities.

They were probably being mindful of the possibility of combining three or more mashbills and having to answer the "what kind of marriage is this?" questions.

In retrospect, they probably could have just called it Plural Mariage and left it at that. I'm sure it would nave been a hit in Utah.

It should also be noted that the Small Batch LE is composed of younger whiskeys than the Mariage was, so I suspect there was a bit of a cost savings at work as well. Not that the LE isn't a very good whiskey, it is.

Last time I was there, though, their their prices seemed to be quite a bit higher than at Kahn's. Did you find that to be the case when you were there TexIn?

Not in every case. Just have to go bottle by bottle to compare prices. Four places in Indy have a decent selection of bourbons and I've found different prices at each - V&T, Kahn's, 21st Am., and Payless (southside locations on Emerson and Meridian have pretty large selections). Ri1 (although I don't drink it) is the whiskey with the greatest parity in prices (anywhere from $29-$59).

FWIW, the couple of extra bucks at V&T is worth the experience and the knowledge of the staff. Same with Kahn's. Go to a 21st or a Payless and you're on your own.

I just purchased a few bottles of the 2009 online for $64.99/bottle. I was really happy to find it at such a good price. If nothing has changed since the last time I spoke to them (last week) they should still have a minimum of 3 bottles left in stock, and they ship to most states. They also have the Parkers Heritage wheated at $74.99 along with some other premiums. Send me a PM if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

I never came across this one but if it is anything like the current small batch I certainly missed out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.