OLD CROW and OLD FITZGERALD Italian Import. Provenance?

Scooby
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

i was wondering if you could help me out with these 2 bottles.

Both are italian imports that i bought at a whiskyfestival in Limburg, Germany last weekend.

see pictures at

http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/Scoobypl/Old%20Bourbon%202010/

From the print on the label (WA Gaines and Stitzel Weller distillery) one could think these were pretty old...but they both have plastic caps, which makes them a lot younger...

Can you help me out with this?

Are they really old (WA Gaines is pre-prohibition?)

Or just seventies or eighties ... or modern bottles?

All help is appreciated!

PS. Incase your wondering: Yes, my inquisitive nature took over and I wanted to know what they tasted like...so they are open! ;-)

My adagio: Whisky is not made to stand in a cupboard...you have to drink it to honor the people who made it! ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Oh...i forgot:

Old Crow says distilled and bottled by WA Gaines which would make the Old Crow pre-prohibition...but a plastic screwcap makes them distincly post-prohibition!!!...which is what made me wonder...

same thing with the OF and the Stitzel-Weller print...

So the label makes me think they are fairly antique

The bottles (type of glas -looks like blown glas, no industrial markings, seems to be one piece, no protrusions or indentations for automated handling) seem to be fairly old...

The Screwcaps spoil the fun!

:rolleyes:

Hi All,

i was wondering if you could help me out with these 2 bottles.

Both are italian imports that i bought at a whiskyfestival in Limburg, Germany last weekend.

see pictures at

http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/Scoobypl/Old%20Bourbon%202010/

From the print on the label (WA Gaines and Stitzel Weller distillery) one could think these were pretty old...but they both have plastic caps, which makes them a lot younger...

Can you help me out with this?

Are they really old (WA Gaines is pre-prohibition?)

Or just seventies or eighties ... or modern bottles?

All help is appreciated!

PS. Incase your wondering: Yes, my inquisitive nature took over and I wanted to know what they tasted like...so they are open! ;-)

My adagio: Whisky is not made to stand in a cupboard...you have to drink it to honor the people who made it! ;-)

Thanks in advance,

I think they are probably from the 70-is or early 80-is. Do the label say old Fitzgerald distillery or only Stitzler Weller and what is the proof on that bottle? The Crow bottle of that type at 80 or 86 proof are very common on German e-bay and mr. Kruger’s auction.

Leif

The DSP number on the Old Crow is for the Old Grandad plant which would put it into the later National Distiller's period.

I have the Old fitzgerald bottle on my desk, filled with Spree candy. It is a late 1970's bottle from Old Fitzgerald Distillery, but the bourbon was Stitzel-Weller made bourbon (in other words, made before the families sold the distillery).

Mike Veach

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.